Advice on mounting RTT to unistrut channel cross members?

Hi all - I know this maybe a very basic question, but I want to ensure I do this safe and soundly and I've never used strut fittings before. I am looking to mount my new alu-cab gen 3 RTT to my trailer lid and looking for advice on how exactly to do it and hardware to use. The plan is to use 2 x 6' strips of L-track that I'll mount along each side of the trailer (right above the trailer side wall for max support as the lid is aluminum). I've got some heavy duty securing bolt fittings for the L-track that will allow me to attach 4 x superstrut cross members. I'm assuming the best way to mount the superstrut is with the U opening facing upward so its an easy and stable mount to the L track.

Then the part I'm not so sure on is how to mount the SS rtt brackets to the U channel. I picked up some fittings from hw store and none of them really seem to fit the bill. I have a big square washer which i cant see a use for. Nylon hanger nuts that are too small thread size. Spring nuts that are huge bolt size (i'd have to drill out the rtt mounts to fit through the opening). Anyhow, I'm just not confident in the right way to do this so I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice.

Thanks all,
JD

IMG_8127.JPG
IMG_8129.JPG
IMG_8130.JPG

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Hi all - I know this maybe a very basic question, but I want to ensure I do this safe and soundly and I've never used strut fittings before. I am looking to mount my new alu-cab gen 3 RTT to my trailer lid and looking for advice on how exactly to do it and hardware to use. The plan is to use 2 x 6' strips of L-track that I'll mount along each side of the trailer (right above the trailer side wall for max support as the lid is aluminum). I've got some heavy duty securing bolt fittings for the L-track that will allow me to attach 4 x superstrut cross members. I'm assuming the best way to mount the superstrut is with the U opening facing upward so its an easy and stable mount to the L track.

Then the part I'm not so sure on is how to mount the SS rtt brackets to the U channel. I picked up some fittings from hw store and none of them really seem to fit the bill. I have a big square washer which i cant see a use for. Nylon hanger nuts that are too small thread size. Spring nuts that are huge bolt size (i'd have to drill out the rtt mounts to fit through the opening). Anyhow, I'm just not confident in the right way to do this so I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice.

Thanks all,
JD
You might want to ask your question over in the RTT section: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/138-Roof-Top-Tents-and-Awnings

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I use unistrut to mount my RTT. To attach things to the open face of the unistrut, I use unistrut spring nuts which allow infinite location along the strut. For the thinner unistrut I have to cut the spring off in order to get it to fit. To mount the strut to the tent, I just use large washers which fit inside the channel. If I can space the bolt in between the holes of the strut, I'll drill a small hole for the bolt and washer. If the bolt ends up protruding through the large oval holes in the strut, I use the large, thick unistrut square washers along with the bolt and washer

What size bolt fits in the bracket? I know unistrut makes different size spring nuts with hole diameters from 1/4" to 1/2", so picking up some smaller nuts would probably work

Last edited:

alley oop

They make different sizes of spring nut for uni strut it looks like you have the 13/16 tall strut you need what call a short channel nut there have then for 1/4'' 5/16'' 3/8'' and 1/2'' bolts the site wont let me post links but if you go to platte electric search for spring nut and that will give you a ideal of what you need

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Installing the Alu-Cab EXP III without cross bars is okay as long as something is supporting the center rails of the tent. IMO the easiest way to mount and support the tent to the rails you have installed on your trailer is to utilize a pair of Alu-Cab 1450mm Load Bars and four Lo-Pro Mounts like this, http://www.alu-cab.co.za/images/fitment/Load-Bar-To-Canopy-Fitment-Instruction.pdf .

bEJhBun.png

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles