MaxTrax, are they worth it?

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
...I guess I don't really get stuck (IMO, "Stuck" is when you can neither make forward progress nor back up to take another run at it)... Even in the 2wd Ranger with street tires 8" - 10" of snow is not normally a big deal, at lest until it turns slushy and refreezes.
The last time I used a winch on myself we (3 or 4 vehicles and myself) were wheeling in calf deep snow on the side of a mountain (cliff/ on the other side)... and decided to turn around; the trail was about 10 or 12 feet wide... for a few minutes we were all engaged in a row winching the front ends around, since the trail was so narrow.

I didn't know that Dodge made a civilian 6 wheel drive (2 selectable lockers and a limited slip) vehicle; is it custom, something exmilitary or a typo/brain-finger-keyboard fritz?

Enjoy!

The Power Wagon has a very aggressive posi unit in addition to "flip a switch" electric lockers front and back, massive warn winch, full length skid plates, huge flexability, the list goes on. I have owned 3 of them and they are hands down nearly unstoppable. 3 feet of snow was nothing to my PW...

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
The Power Wagon has a very aggressive posi unit in addition to "flip a switch" electric lockers front and back, massive warn winch, full length skid plates, huge flexability, the list goes on. I have owned 3 of them and they are hands down nearly unstoppable. 3 feet of snow was nothing to my PW...
Yep! I know what power wagons are; helped to recover several; they aren't particularly popular locally.
I was responding to;
Depends where you get stuck. My Dodge has two selectable lockers and limited slip and a winch and shovels and straps. I still managed to get stuck in the sand in East BF AZ, and had to call for help. That's when I decided to carry MaxTrax and a Pull-Pal.
Which implies 3 differentials.
My current only moderately capable (would be easy to stick if I tried) TJ (a step down) has, relatively fragile, OEM limted slips in both axles, which, also have air operated locking capability; since it to was a Daimler/Chrysler product I suspect it is similar in design to newer, 2 differential, Power Wagons (Whose heritage, like Jeeps goes back to WW2).

In my experience the depth of snow/powder sand traversed can be very substantial; if the vehicle can achieve flotation (which narrow tires and heavier vehicles often have a harder time doing)...
You know you are in deep snow when you stop and are immediately high centered.

Enjoy!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Scott Brady has a very nice article in the lastest Overland Journal that discuss many traction devices. His account of multiple winch failures when it counted and the subsequent use of Maxtrax to save the day is a very compelling reason to have them in parallel to a winch.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I have 2 sets of Maxtracks, one for each of the trucks I use on the trail regularly. I also have two sets of waffle boards. I rarely use the waffle boards anymore.

Although I don't seem to get stuck that often, (I have a well set up truck and I seem to be more careful of where I put it as I get older) I regularly use the Maxtracks to extract other people, especially cars on my not-plowed street in the winter. They are usually the first tool I pull out when I am attempting a recovery. They are just easy, they work well, and are light and convenient to handle. In fact when I am not home and someone gets stuck on my street, it's pretty common for my kids to grab a set and a shovel and go out to "save a neighbour".

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've seen them completely folded into a U-shape and then immediately pop back into shape.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Yep! I know what power wagons are; helped to recover several; they aren't particularly popular locally.
I was responding to;

Which implies 3 differentials.
My current only moderately capable (would be easy to stick if I tried) TJ (a step down) has, relatively fragile, OEM limted slips in both axles, which, also have air operated locking capability; since it to was a Daimler/Chrysler product I suspect it is similar in design to newer, 2 differential, Power Wagons (Whose heritage, like Jeeps goes back to WW2).

In my experience the depth of snow/powder sand traversed can be very substantial; if the vehicle can achieve flotation (which narrow tires and heavier vehicles often have a harder time doing)...
You know you are in deep snow when you stop and are immediately high centered.

Enjoy!

lol.... funny stuff, thanks

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well I've heard enough testimonial and reviews here to say that it's a safe bet I'll be getting a few sets for the truck.

Rando

Explorer
I would say recovery boards are definitely worth it, probably the best single vehicle recovery tool you can buy. However, whether the MaxTrax brand is worth it is still an open question. I think there are plenty of other far cheaper options that are as good or nearly as good for a fraction the cost.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
After putting the purchase off for a few months now, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some MaxTrax, hopefully they get here before we leave this weekend for 120 miles of primitive beach travel.

RacerAV

I bought a set of two... havent used them yet, but when i need them, ill have them. 4 would be overkill for me, personally...

RacerAV

After putting the purchase off for a few months now, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some MaxTrax, hopefully they get here before we leave this weekend for 120 miles of primitive beach travel.
story of my life, always buying last minute then heading out without my gear or leaving late cause I had to wait!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
story of my life, always buying last minute then heading out without my gear or leaving late cause I had to wait!

Lol, I am usually pretty good about getting things in advance, the good thing is that they came in the day before I left. I ended up not needing to employ them on that trip, but I am glad that I have them available for future trips.

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
Love my MAXTRAX. I've used them a few times and they really have saved my butt. It's a great feeling when you can get yourself out of the snow (solo) without a tow or a couple hours of digging. I've personally seen the competition fail and it makes me glad to have gone the quality route. I try not to skimp on quality when it comes to the important things

RacerAV

Love my MAXTRAX. I've used them a few times and they really have saved my butt. It's a great feeling when you can get yourself out of the snow (solo) without a tow or a couple hours of digging. I've personally seen the competition fail and it makes me glad to have gone the quality route. I try not to skimp on quality when it comes to the important things
SAME HERE! An emergency situation is no time to bust out the harbor freight tools lol...

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Power Wagons and Jeep Rubicons get stuck. I own both. Had both stuck. Maxtrax have helped me countess times. They have helped tremendously with my Rhino and Stumpgrinder machine also. The only time Maxrax “Failed” me was trying to assist a loaded semi truck out of the sand on a movie set. Broke several of the lugs off both boards. But thats not a smart use of the tool. So that doesn’t count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3ab954f01193eeac1b44aa9b407c772d.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles