Thread: 98, ABS behavior questions

Default 98, ABS behavior questions

I was playing in the snow a little tonight which turned into an ABS function test. I’m wondering if anyone can confirm this as normal. 1. My ABS only kicks on for about 3-4 seconds then cuts out. The highest speed I tested it at was 35 mph and it cut out well before I was anywhere near stopped. I did this repeatedly and it was the same every time. This was on fully snowed in paved road with very little traction but not ice. When the ABS was firing, it succeeded in controlling and slowing the vehicle, but a full slide resulted after it cut out. 2. When the ABS fires I can see an electrical drag enough to slightly dim headlights. 3. I need to test again but pretty sure when the ABS shuts off, if I lift off pedal and brake again, it will cycle a second time.

If anyone could confirm this seems normal please chime in. My car (2004) ABS fires until the car stops.
    Last edited by Salonika; 12-25-2017 at 02:21 AM.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Bump
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Bump.....can someone with a gen 2.5 in a wintery area do a hard stop on a slippery road from 35mph and let me know if the ABS fires until dead stop or does it cut out before you are stopped......thank you.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Until dead stop for me.

That's definitely not normal, sounds like you have some issue with electrical power.

No ABS light though, so whatever may be wrong, the self check isn’t picking it up. At slower speeds, say 10mph and under, the system does fire until completely stopped. I wouldn’t even know where to start here, plus I’d like to hear from a few more people first.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C