Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash course on Land Cruiser needed

Default Crash course on Land Cruiser needed

Long story short, it looks like I'm selling my 2013 Jeep JK. I'm considering replacing it with a Land Cruiser, particularly an 80 series. I've found a 91 and a 97, both with right about 200k miles on them, that are in my price range. Anything I should be looking out for with these two models, or any others in that year range? I'm not totally new to Toyota having owned a first gen 4Runner before, but I know nothing of Cruisers, and want to arm myself with some knowledge before I go look.
    2013 Jeep JK Unlimited

Google.com

Or

Ih8mud.com

There are big differences between the 91 and 97

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    85 4Runner 3rz
    77 FJ55
    03 Z71
    1967 M109 Deuce

Just say NO to Bushwhacker Flares

www.slowswerve.com

Quote Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
    Google.com

Or

Ih8mud.com

There are big differences between the 91 and 97

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    X2 on mud.

Follow the time honored tradition of digging into Mud. Read the 80 series FAQ. You're contemplating going back in time and getting a truck that is 26 years old; the 80 has its charms but you should know what you're getting into comfort and technology wise...
    1990 SAS 4runner
    2007 LX build thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vma...#post-11164344
    my 4wheelin' videos: http://tiny.cc/LETSWHL

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'll start digging through those sources and see what I can discover.

I'd go with the 97.. more power, full float rear axle with disc brakes and nicer imo. Slee guide is a great source of info and MUD search can answer any possible question you'd have about an 80 series.

‘13JK money is the same as a 20 year old 80? Wow, I’m seriously shocked. One huge plus about the 80 is that these trucks have been torn down to each and every bolt and there are write ups about it on Mud. The downside for you is whether or not you are handy and can fix these trucks as the need to repair arises. Is this intended as a daily driver or as a fun toy?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-faq.84888/
    2014 SR5 4Runner/Icon Stg2, 255/80 ST Maxx, Frontrunner 3/4 rack.
    2008 GX470/KO2s, LEDs, SSO conversion with Billsteins at stock height; trying to stay stock!
    GONE: 2006 LX470, stock; 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser/locked, lifted, and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Chiz45 View Post
    ‘13JK money is the same as a 20 year old 80? Wow, I’m seriously shocked. One huge plus about the 80 is that these trucks have been torn down to each and every bolt and there are write ups about it on Mud. The downside for you is whether or not you are handy and can fix these trucks as the need to repair arises. Is this intended as a daily driver or as a fun toy?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-faq.84888/
    No, I should get north of 20k for the Jeep, and the two LC's I am looking at are 8k.

I'm handy enough that I can do my own work, I'm just not very knowledgeable about Toyota having owned mostly Jeeps. It would be a daily driver for now until I could start building it the way I want it in the future.
    2013 Jeep JK Unlimited

There is nothing about an 80 series that you will not find on MUD. Including electronic FSM. Mechanically the 80 is pretty straight forward, they have little quirks just like any one specific vehicle. Given the choice I would go with the 97. The 80 was fully refined by that point, not to mention the equipment is 6 years newer and the FF axle and rear disc brakes are a big bonus.

Keep in mind this truck probably weighs at least 1500 lbs more than your Jeep and AWD. Apples and oranges. Add another $2K to fully base line it.
    Stan
    Hardline Fabrication Services
    Specializing in LC LS & Vortec swaps
    www.hfs4x4.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast