Crash course on Land Cruiser needed

Stoked

Observer
Long story short, it looks like I'm selling my 2013 Jeep JK. I'm considering replacing it with a Land Cruiser, particularly an 80 series. I've found a 91 and a 97, both with right about 200k miles on them, that are in my price range. Anything I should be looking out for with these two models, or any others in that year range? I'm not totally new to Toyota having owned a first gen 4Runner before, but I know nothing of Cruisers, and want to arm myself with some knowledge before I go look.

v_man

Explorer
Follow the time honored tradition of digging into Mud. Read the 80 series FAQ. You're contemplating going back in time and getting a truck that is 26 years old; the 80 has its charms but you should know what you're getting into comfort and technology wise...

Stoked

Observer
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'll start digging through those sources and see what I can discover.

ExpoGeorgia

Observer
I'd go with the 97.. more power, full float rear axle with disc brakes and nicer imo. Slee guide is a great source of info and MUD search can answer any possible question you'd have about an 80 series.

Chiz45

‘13JK money is the same as a 20 year old 80? Wow, I'm seriously shocked. One huge plus about the 80 is that these trucks have been torn down to each and every bolt and there are write ups about it on Mud. The downside for you is whether or not you are handy and can fix these trucks as the need to repair arises. Is this intended as a daily driver or as a fun toy?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-faq.84888/

Stoked

Observer
‘13JK money is the same as a 20 year old 80? Wow, I'm seriously shocked. One huge plus about the 80 is that these trucks have been torn down to each and every bolt and there are write ups about it on Mud. The downside for you is whether or not you are handy and can fix these trucks as the need to repair arises. Is this intended as a daily driver or as a fun toy?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-faq.84888/

No, I should get north of 20k for the Jeep, and the two LC's I am looking at are 8k.

I'm handy enough that I can do my own work, I'm just not very knowledgeable about Toyota having owned mostly Jeeps. It would be a daily driver for now until I could start building it the way I want it in the future.

NCFJ

Adventurer
There is nothing about an 80 series that you will not find on MUD. Including electronic FSM. Mechanically the 80 is pretty straight forward, they have little quirks just like any one specific vehicle. Given the choice I would go with the 97. The 80 was fully refined by that point, not to mention the equipment is 6 years newer and the FF axle and rear disc brakes are a big bonus.

Keep in mind this truck probably weighs at least 1500 lbs more than your Jeep and AWD. Apples and oranges. Add another $2K to fully base line it.

TXBruiser

The 91/92 80series are for enthusiast of those specific setups. going from a JK to a 91 you will be severely disappointed in the power. go with the 97. and like all the other posts, MUD will be you bible for all things 80 related.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I would definitely look for a 96-97 they are just a bit more refined and OBDII is nice. But I will say that coming from a model year 2013 you are going to miss a few things. Going to an 80 is awesome, one of the most capable trucks ever sold in the US hands down, but they are old and slow, kinda a lifestyle truck now, not at the level of a Land Rover or VW Westy, but in the sense you got to love it to stay with it. Theses trucks are over 20 years old and still the doors feel more solid then most new cars, but it will need to replace warn out and preventive parts replaced.

Not trying to sway you by any means, any switch from Jeep to Land Cruiser will be worth it in the long run, but often folks buy an 80 forgetting that they are over 20 years old.

Ill leave you with another thread on Mud that has a lot of wisdom for getting in to an 80: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/should-i-buy-an-80-costs-of-ownership.124556/

Good luck on the search, I can't wait to see it!

Stoked

Observer
My other two cars are 1969 and 1932, so I'm used to old and unrefined. And I have owned a first gen 4Runner. The lack of power isn't a concern for me...my previous Jeep was a 2011 with the 3.8, and everyone knows what a dog those are.

I've been pouring over Mud for the last few days learning all I can. Trying to get the Jeep ready to sell sometime next week, then I will see if either of those two LC's are still available, or what else is on the market at that time.

Thanks for all the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles