Best spark plugs for LR3 HSE

krick3tt

Adventurer
I am thinking of installing new plugs soon. Are the original type plugs the best or there better types available?

anglotron

Observer
The OEM plugs are NGK Iridium and I think they're the only option. I bought mine off eBay, part number is IFR5N10

DiscoDavis

Explorer
the OEM is already a great plug. Go for those, either dealer or NGK IR model found elsewhere.

Don't use anti-seize!!!

JackW

Explorer
NGK plugs have a coating on them that makes anti-sieze unnecessary. You can get them at NAPA or Autozone.

LKLK

I’m currently using e3 on my lr3. Not a bad plug. I’ve been using it for about 20k no ignition or trouble codes so far. Make sure you look for a good deal...

TOUGE

I use NGK BKR5EIX-11 in my LR3, easier to find and generally less than half the price of OEM Laser Iridium. I've used NGK Iridium IX plugs in all my cars and never once had an issue.

TOUGE

I would never, ever leave a plug in a car for 60,000km let alone 100,000km. I do 25,00km max. In my Lotus I use Iridium IX I swap them every 10,000 but in that car it takes me 5 years to do 10,000km.

anglotron

Observer
The NGK BKR5EIX-11 plugs have 60% the rated service life of NGK IFR5N10 plugs, so while they may be cheaper to buy, they also need replacing almost twice as often. Seems like a false economy to me.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I got my plugs from the dealer. Just wanted to be sure with recommended OEM parts. Those little suckers aren't cheap.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I got the Iridium ones. They are $8.50 off rock auto currently. I did buy them from Rock auto, they come in the correct packaging and everything.

What gap is everyone using? I think book is 0.060 or something?

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
I would never, ever leave a plug in a car for 60,000km let alone 100,000km. I do 25,00km max. In my Lotus I use Iridium IX I swap them every 10,000 but in that car it takes me 5 years to do 10,000km.

Why? I've never seen a spark plug fail in a Land Rover. In fact, the only time I have ever seen a spark plug actually cause a misfire was an aftermarket plug in a D1.

As a general rule, I recommend cutting the factory service intervals in half, but I wouldn't hesitate to leave spark plugs in the full 105k miles (or 90k if an '05).

LR Max

Local Oaf
Why? I've never seen a spark plug fail in a Land Rover. In fact, the only time I have ever seen a spark plug actually cause a misfire was an aftermarket plug in a D1.

As a general rule, I recommend cutting the factory service intervals in half, but I wouldn't hesitate to leave spark plugs in the full 105k miles (or 90k if an '05).

Agreed. On the newer rovers, unless you go out of your way to screw it up, the plugs should last no problem. Also check gap. I have seen a brand new Genuine plug cause a misfire. This caused great distress as we had just gotten the heads back on. Turned out to have the wrong gap. So that was an easy fix, truck was on its way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online