Putt Step Van Build

Putts

I'll get there.
^^I've got two holes to plug in the very front top corners of the cabin compartment. I'll get to them from the cockpit. But once they're plugged I'll be ready to test it for airflow. I do have a couple of strategic locations where I can drill extra holes to balance it out. It's a bet I've made a long time ago now...can't wait to test it for flow. Then all I need is a hot summer's day to see if it works. Seems like it should. We'll see.

lqhikers

Adventurer
Dam putts,i'm loving yor build then you get to kitchen/food storage and off the rails you go.
All your great cabinets are going to look awful after a very few trips, don't even mention
dirt rough roads.
Your can/bottle storage are going to leave marks every where.

Solution,measure all your storage spots.spend time at walmart,home depot,lowes,etc
until you find plastic trays the fit in all areas, if to tall can be cut down.
this gives you spill insurance (it will happen!).

Plus with plastic trays it is easy to take out to resupply.

Pots and pans need to be padded with dish towels etc to keep the rattles and scratch's away.

Just my thoughts yours may very.

Yes i am following your build.

When you show up at slab city etc we will look you up.

Les,lqhikers

Putts

I'll get there.
Dam putts,i'm loving yor build then you get to kitchen/food storage and off the rails you go.
All your great cabinets are going to look awful after a very few trips, don't even mention
dirt rough roads.

Oh yeah, I've got solutions for that kind of stuff in mind. All my clothes are already in little rubbery bins. Just did my first laundrimat wash the other day and when the drier was done I just laid the bins out and folded my clothes right into them. Put 'em in the cart, rolled 'em out to Putt, and put it all back in the shelf nice and neat.

I've already purchased a roll of 1/8" neoprene wetsuit material and that will line all the shelves, and will make separating sleeves for the pots and pans. But your idea of plastic bin cut down is interesting. I have a hard time thinking of a major spill in there, maybe I should think on it more. Got a bottle of honey in there...that would be a mess.

Thanks for the comments.

Coachgeo

Explorer
dirt rough roads.
Your can/bottle storage are going to leave marks every where.

Solution,measure all your storage spots.spend time at walmart,home depot,lowes,etc
until you find plastic trays the fit in all areas, if to tall can be cut down.
this gives you spill insurance (it will happen!).

Plus with plastic trays it is easy to take out to resupply.

Pots and pans need to be padded with dish towels etc to keep the rattles and scratch's away.

Just my thoughts ...
You missed his use of paracords in his wall racks that also keep the items from rubbing against the walls. Guess that would work in cabinets too if he wanted Drawers.. you have good points

lqhikers

Adventurer
Putts; I have a engle frig/frez came with large wire basket.
To make it more usable i found another wire basket had to cut down
and spot weld to make correct size, doing this it fits inside larger basket about half way down
found that if i put a rubber shield on the bottom of the basket and setting temp at 29-30 degrees
the bottom stays frozen and top if loaded correctly (cheese, tortillas,butter,lunch meat etc, on bottom
of top unit) tomatoes, lettuce,etc on top bottom stays frozen when you open because bottom is pretty
much sealed from top.
Works for use and we live in the desert and must have our ice for scotch and ice cream for desert!.

I installed a remote temp gauge so i can adjust as needed, old engle no temp gauge display.

les,lqhikers

Coachgeo

Explorer
...have a engle frig/frez came with large wire basket.
To make it more usable i found another wire basket had to cut down
and spot weld to make correct size, doing this it fits inside larger basket about half way down
found that if i put a rubber shield on the bottom of the basket and setting temp at 29-30 degrees
the bottom stays frozen and top if loaded correctly (cheese, tortillas,butter,lunch meat etc, on bottom
of top unit) tomatoes, lettuce,etc on top bottom stays frozen when you open because bottom is pretty
much sealed from top...
am a little dense myself lol... picture please. Pictures are worth a thousand words (though most are miss-perceptions lol) Thanks in advance.

Putts

I'll get there.
if i put a rubber shield on the bottom of the basket

That's funny, I was just talking to another person on another forum and they recommended putting in a double layer of bubble wrap as the barrier. But I like your idea of another basket with the insulation in it. Thanks!

VestaMoon

I'd love to see where you are on your build now. Any updates? I am still working on my step van build. Doubt that I will ever be completely finished. :)

Attachments

• thirteen.jpg
    thirteen.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 53

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
This thing has been an inspiration! So much, that I had to get my own step van! How you making out? Still have that turd of a Ford engine? Hope you didn't prematurely find that road in the Himalayas, you surely can't be done with this van!

ericvs

yes! This is such a cool build. I am excited for you to sell the house and move into Putt full time.
doing some seriously nice work here as well. step vans are the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles