Putt Step Van Build

Putts

I'll get there.
Woot! This was a job I've been fretting about, it's not easy fitting drawers.

IMG_2261-L.jpg

The little flapper door in the bottom left drawer is the garbage.

IMG_2262-L.jpg

They don't slide perfectly, but they slide well enough. I'm happy.

I've already started packing them.

IMG_2260-L.jpg

Bottom right drawer has all the cleaning stuff, green propane bottles, and my portable burner.

IMG_2259-L.jpg

Bottom left drawer is the pots 'n pans.

Next up: Counter tops and dinette table...once that's done I can start cooking in Putt.

rilla.gif

Coachgeo

Explorer
brainstorming myself on a way to do clothing storage with drawers and closets in a way where you can in some simple way compress the cloths (or vacuum out air) so they hold more in less space. Granted then got to deal with dewrinkling things. (like I care lol).

Coachgeo

Explorer
Tap a hose of the engine vacuum. Don't suck your brains out! :) ...
diesel engine.. no vacuum. :smiley_drive: but thought about similar. Too complicated and do not trust vacuum storage bags. Thinking more of squash tops on a box.

. put stuff in box..
. push down on squash top till it latches. Squash top being a Plexiglass or wood or??? cover with an air check valve mounted in it. Just fits over top of cloths inside of drawer. Squash it down like an overstuffed suitcase till it latches. Air can escape thru valve but not return. You can buy these to make your own vacuum bags.

Last edited:

MarcusBrody

I don't have much to say (other thank those looking like some robust drawers), but I've loved reading through this thread. Thanks for posting!

Putts

I'll get there.
I think I could have configured this a little better, but it's going to work just fine.

I'll have to do the #vanlife shuffle sometimes---there's as likely going to be a soldering iron over the fridge as not---but I'll figure it out.

IMG_2264-L.jpg

IMG_2265-L.jpg

IMG_2266-L.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
make the fridge a slide out rack to sit on, then you will rarely need to open the hatch in the counter to access it.

derjack

Adventurer
Nice looking project! :ylsmoke:

my 2ct:
- 3/4" plywood :Wow1: I know us European guys have a different understanding concerning weight - this looks more like "decent" for me :) Would be interesting to know the before and after weight, like w/o interior and with your build stuff.
in comparison: Mine [E350 Quigley] "high" roof will get a furniture/ kitchen build from 6,9 mm plywood > this is ~ 1/4" plywood.Though of course not just that but in a construction of Adam Hall framing which gives the construction an massive additional strength.
My floor is just 9mm plywood, from my POV this should be decent enough. Most people here use 1/2" plywood, which is 30% thicker.

At the end you need to stop all this in traffic, bring is up a sand dune (in my case) etc. Every kg counts. I saved 1 kg (~2 pounds) on 1 singe door panel by making it from cottonwood!

- regarding fridge:
I would connect the upper counter flipp board with the lid from the fridge. That way you need just to open one. There are similar solutions common in kitchen stores, just compare how they did it.

Putts

I'll get there.
make the fridge a slide out rack to sit on, then you will rarely need to open the hatch in the counter to access it.

Unfortunately, it can't slide out far enough to open before it interferes with the forward dinette chair.

Nice looking project! :ylsmoke:

my 2ct:
- 3/4" plywood :Wow1: I know us European guys have a different understanding concerning weight - this looks more like "decent" for me :) Would be interesting to know the before and after weight, like w/o interior and with your build stuff.

I did weight it before I started so it is getting to be time to weigh it again to get a feel for how much weight is in there. Your points are good, but thick ply makes it much easier to build for me. Also, it weighed 10k lbs. empty and it's 19,500lbs GVWR. I've done the math in my head and even with everything I want in the future I can't see the vehicle weighing more than 15,000lbs.

- regarding fridge:
I would connect the upper counter flipp board with the lid from the fridge. That way you need just to open one. There are similar solutions common in kitchen stores, just compare how they did it.

Hm. I may look into that. Thanks!

Current progress:

Well...I guess this is a major milestone: The fundamental construction is done...sort of...

IMG_2274-XL.jpg

Here's a panorama from the driver's compartment back. (The table isn't installed at this point.)

You can also see there's no door on the fridge yet, hence the "sort of."

Counters have some unevenness between the sections...oh well, might be able to tweak it later.

IMG_2267-XL.jpg

Got the table installed today.

IMG_2279-XL.jpg

Still LOTS to do: Fridge cabinet door; electronic cabinet door; latches for all doors and drawers; spice racks above sink; arm rests on the wall next to the dinette seats; garbage can; composting toilet innards; and, well, lots more little things you wouldn't want to be bothered with.

You'd think it would be a joyous day for me...you'd think. Mostly I just feel a bit exhausted. Despite being a red letter day, I'm mainly aware of being in the middle of a long project that's still got a long way to go. It's been bitterly cold up here; my knuckles are cracking from working in the dry, frigid air. Probably just going to relax and enjoy the cabin; maybe do a bit of packing. But I think I'm going to stay out of the garage for a few days.

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
Great build, thanks for taking the time to put it up here. I have a little experience pressurizing the inside of my van to keep out the dust, and it works (or really helps at least) Baja dust seems to get in everywhere, including from the fan you use to supply pressurized air, so I took a furnace filter and fit it to the inside of the fan housing. Based on the amount of dust that rained out every time I touched it, it worked pretty well, and the interior was a lot cleaner. Next time, I'll spray some filter oil on it to hold the dust. The filter cut the total air flow a lot, but it really helped.

Putts

I'll get there.
Looks awesome. LIke the way you used curves to flow it together. Less. institutional looking. Kudo's

Thanks. It's funny, I had an idea of what it would look like, but the thing in the flesh is somewhat different. It feels to me like a working boat cabin...brutally functional with little care for esthetics. Function over form for sure. I've begun to call it my "Travel Trawler."

I have a little experience pressurizing the inside of my van to keep out the dust, and it works (or really helps at least) Baja dust seems to get in everywhere, including from the fan you use to supply pressurized air, so I took a furnace filter and fit it to the inside of the fan housing. Based on the amount of dust that rained out every time I touched it, it worked pretty well, and the interior was a lot cleaner. Next time, I'll spray some filter oil on it to hold the dust. The filter cut the total air flow a lot, but it really helped.

Thanks for that tip! Sounds like a great way to go, I'll have to cut me some filters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier