35AH Battery for powering 12V Engel Frig?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The short answer is probably.

Generally, it is recommended not to deplete a lead-acid battery beyond 50% of its capacity to avoid overly shortening battery longevity. Starting at 35 ah, that leaves 17.5 ah available. Engel has told me my 40 qt. fridge will average a 1 amp draw. So for your 12 hour overnight you would have sufficient capacity... but not a lot to spare.

Of course, the 1 amp average will vary with ambient temperature. Also, over time your battery capacity will decline even if you keep to the 50% rule, so at some point in the future you may come up short on power.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Sun down to sun up ( from a solar perspective) is more like 16 hours. I’m with the others, there is zero wiggle room with that battery. If I were staying at RV parks with power, then that battery would be ok. But for off grid I would want at least 2x.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Listen to the naysayers on this one; I use a 35 AH for lights, stereo, etc.; It will power a fridge over night but not for a weekend. even a day and overnight was sometimes iffy when its warm/hot... Actually gave up and went to a good ice powered cooler for better performance.

I keep waiting for the battery to get too old/wear out so I can go bigger. I base camp for up to a a week or more and even a 100AH is unlikely to work for me... solar is a no go due to shade.

Enjoy!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sun down to sun up ( from a solar perspective) is more like 16 hours.

Weather, shade, time of the year, location on the map, even temperature play a big role into just how productive daylight hours are.

Sure, sun up to sun down may be 8 hours, but actual usable sun in that time may very well be less than an hour or two.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I keep waiting for the battery to get too old/wear out so I can go bigger. I base camp for up to a a week or more and even a 100AH is unlikely to work for me... solar is a no go due to shade.

Sounds like a simple ground array would solve your problem.

I'm in the process of adding some to our setup.

200watts of 24V panels on the roof

4 50watt panels can and will be deployed when we find the need to hide in the shade, or cannot find enough exposure with just the roof panels.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Sounds like a simple ground array would solve your problem.

I'm in the process of adding some to our setup.

200watts of 24V panels on the roof

4 50watt panels can and will be deployed when we find the need to hide in the shade, or cannot find enough exposure with just the roof panels.
Actually, no; there is too much shade/too little open sun in the areas where I like to camp (except Moab Ut. every year or 2). Tried up though 300 watts of panels (4x75) no worky, even 2x50 watters are problematic.
If trying to use solar I inevitably end up chasing the sun; because the shade moves, when there is enough unshaded area to even do that.
...here is a typical camp pic;
25 Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg
Unimproved/primitive National forest/BLM land; 4wd often necessary for access.

So far the best solution, for me, seems to be a very small, relatively, fuel efficient (less fuel inefficient) generator to recharge the battery...I may go close to a week between vehicle starts. However generators have, suboptimal, issues all their own... (have an Yamaha 1600watt; too much just to charge batteries, IMO; looking at a 900 watt propane powered Ryobi).

...so far; Ice is better for me... Start the vehicle once every 5 days or so to go get supplies, incl. ice (Pelican ice chest).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. So it seems something like this would be a better choice:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Battery-Marine-Off-grid-Applications/dp/B075RFXHYK

The problem with this battery is the weight (66 lbs.) Would like to find one around 35-40 lbs. with a sufficient amp hour rating.

Alan
A 100 A-hr would be a good choice, will run a fridge for a couple or maybe several days. I have a group 27 that's rated for 92 A-hr that will run my Engel MT45 for about 3 days of typical use. There's not much you can do about physics here but one option is lithium batteries. Your weight-to-power ratio is much higher, about 30 lbs gets you a 100 A-hr battery. Of course the cost is a problem, it's gonna be about 4x or 5x the price per A-hr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online