Yetti's 2004 Chevy 2500

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Nice seeing a full size Chevy. I have a 2010 that I’ve done some work to. Any plans to do a sas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My entire family drives this same body style chevy. I am fairly familiar with them. My brother and sister in law are driving his to Argentina. I'm not really planning on it at this point, that being said, it's not out of the question. I'll let me brother do his first haha

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Yetti sorry I have not followed along much in your thread. I would be interested to se if you got anything new going on. We all love pics so post them if you can. I love the flatdeck as does everyone else here. Keep those updates coing. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Not much new, Added some steel eye's for tie down point to the sides. Im thinking of a way to add airline track tie down points, but have not come up with a solution i liked yet.

I replaced the stock torsion keys with some from MaxxCam as my stocks were adjusted all the way up and started rubbing again.

https://www.suspensionmaxx.com/maxxcam-adjustable-torsion-bar-leveling-kits/

New torsion bars( even from a scrap yard) are around 300/side. So to get my stock heights back i installed them ( new keys) and adjusted to get 7.5 inches of clearance between the fender and top of tire. My brother did the same in South America and said his settled 1/2 inch after a few days so i added the 1/2 to compensate. So far mine have not and its just sitting nose high... My knee board has finally gotten to where it wont tighten anymore so i ordered one off of ebay and will replace it this weekend.

And speaking of this weekend, I am going to look at a 2006 outfitter Apex 8. I have been looking for a used Northstar 850sc for quite some time with not much luck, partially for medic contracts and I dont want to drag my house( fifth wheel to them) as they can be crowded and im trying to take care of it. Not to mention for the PNW weekend dog ventures. MY winter weekends go to 4:10"s. And i usually just use the hammock or bedroll on the back of my truck. After talking to the seller im going to be able to get a good deal( under what he is asking) , on it. But ill have to do some fiberglass work as it has a crack. Aluminum frame, Im going down I think friday ( about 4 hours from me) to look at it, and possibly pick it up. Thanking of doing a short shakedown trip back through crater lake, 00A0A_2kJ1YRfhlAI_1200x900.jpgcrack.jpgIMG_20180614_0607040.jpgIMG_20180614_0916547.jpg

( https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/d/06-outfitter-8-apex-pop-up/6610534376.html )

Anyone ever done fiberglass work?

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
This weekend, the bed and bumper got a repainted, in prep for NWOR, and they just needed done. The bed evened out once it dried all the way. I changed what I was using and used a rustoleum rubber paint.

( https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-2...346&sr=8-1&keywords=rustoleum+underbody+paint ) I will see if this works better, the other I was using was just flat black, paint+ primer of the same brand. I did not like the way it chipped even after 6+ coats.

IMG_20180624_1144381.jpgIMG_20180624_1144553.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Well this morning I went to start her and got the " click click click" from the starter. I checked the voltage on the dash and then with the bully dog tuner. Got about 6, well thats not going to work. The batteries are less than a month old.

I piped her hood and checked the voltage across both terminals, both batteries 12.6, connections tight.

So Its going to be starter number...maybe 3-4 But the last one, went for over 100k miles, so i can deal with that. haha

Lucky for me I will just commandeer a fleet truck until i get the starter in and replaced, and its a quick job I am well familiar with.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Well crap, that did not fix it. Time to trouble shoot, new batteries, tight connections, i have a few more things to check after work. Maybe the actual ignition switch, although I dont think thats it either.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Soooo,

When The new starter did not work, and continued to just "click" I went down the list of likley problems. Batteries- they are new, (32 days old, w 2k miles) and showing 12.6 across the terminals of both.

Replaced all ignition related fuses-- " click click"
Replaced all ignition related relays--" click click" the fuses and relays were still stock-

Replaced the ignition switch--"click click"

followed the wire harness up from the starter, simply in these trucks. Hot gores from the battery to the red distrubution block, and then directly to starter,
all wires intact with no breaks, or concerns--" click click"

well, now i am a little lost. So im thinking, well its *possible that the new one is bad- So I took them both back to auto zone for a bench test.

They hook up the new one, " whirs, and rotates with the Bendix coming out as it was supposed to, worked beautifully. "

Hooked up the "old" one- " whirs, and rotates with the Bendix coming out as it was supposed to, worked beautifully. "

well, that is unfortunate... so back to the drawing board. Auto zone asked if i still wanted to leave the old for the core refund. They looked up my account, and said " wait, did you buy this in 2012 from us." to which I replied "yes"

He said " well, this duralast has a lifetime warranty, he checks with his manager and they handed my 300/cash for the cost of the new one i had bought"

Now im starting to think, crap....did I somehow seize my engine, it was running perfectly when I shut her down. Changed the oil a week before, checked all the fluids
oil- good, no discoloration
Tranny- Good

Check the terminals again, yup 12.6 on both.

Pulled my work truck over, hooked up some jumper cables- and she fires right up!!!! That throaty growl of the 6.0 coming to life, as a massive stupid grin spreads across my face.

Well, turns out the month old batteries, my main battery had a few bad cells, go to start it and it drops to 8 volts....that is a problem. The last pair of LEs Schwabies batteries I had lasted 100kmiles. So I drove it to them, and they replaces both under warranty.

Not how I had wanted to spend the weekend, but happy shes up again.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I still want to add the rear box's. Plasma cut the steel deck off and replace it with wood, and make some racks specific for the camper. The waterpump and thermostat are still stock at 250K I'd like to replace them just, well cause it's probably a good idea. But she has not missed a beat yet. She is starting to mark her territory a little, the oil pan gasket is leaking. However to replace it I'll have to pull the engine, or drop the front axle. So she's gonna leak a little haha. When I do, I'll update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94