Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on this 100? Things to be wary of?

I recently tested the 300k+ waters and bought a 2000 with 311k. So far so good. Mine had a bunch of new parts and copious service history. To one poster above's point, you're not risking much. If it doesn't have any rust, worst case is you take what you save over a lower mileage truck and bank it for just in case...
    Also how the truck was cared for means a lot. I saw trucks with half as many miles as mine for twice the price and they were beat!
    Finally, it depends on your plans for the truck. Mine is a 3rd car for local and mid length trips and exploring, so if something happens to break I can drive something else until I figure out my plan to fix it. If yours will be an only vehicle daily driver you might not have that luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by ekapel View Post
    The reality is that at that mileage almost everything that moves will be "knackered" and have to be
    replaced, rebuilt or heavily serviced. It is probably not a good deal at any price.
    Clearly you are super informed.
    '94 Santa Monica Airlines 39" longboard, Indy 159s, Powell AT wheels
    '99 UZJ 100 with OME, 255 ST Max’s and factory locker.
    '14 Dodge 3500 6.7, 68RFE with Thurens, 5100s, 305/70-18 ST Maxxxxxs
    '17 Northern Lite 9-6 Q. Factory ordered to my spec.
    '74 Airstream International 29'

I beg to differ, if the service history is there the 100 series drivetrain is proven to last.

Mine has a wonderful bill of health from Blackstone and was serviced regularly it’s whole life. 1st 16 years with the original owner.
    Yeah things need to be replaced as they fail but my engine runs smooth and strong and doesn’t consume any oil.

The flares on the rig the OP linked suggest it’s a Southeast rig so hopefully it’s rust free underneath.
    I wouldn’t be scared at all. Now if you have more money to spend certainly buy the lowest mileage you can afford is what I was told.
    I had more to spend but couldn’t pass up my deal.

Southern rig, absolutely no rust, no accidents, no pets, no grandkids, everything it ever needed it got as it was a corporate vehicle for 16 years. Translated (tax write off)
    I paid 2,700 dollars for it with 435K on it.
    Currently has 443K and going strong.

Purchased...

Currently...

Interesting. What about transmission?
    Work hard play hard.

Works great, temp always stays put too. I do keep a Scan Guage II plugged up and watch coolant and trans temps.

Shifts smooth as can be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12