JK: running both the ARB and Genright at the same time

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Anyone been able to run the stock gas tank along with the ARB and Genright aux tanks installed at the same time?

Not sure what can be done with the muffler, but hoping there is a way to run all three tanks.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have not seen that but I am rooting for you as I would love a setup like that. Could you get a smaller muffler and run it inline next to the arb, possibly dumping the exhaust prior to the rear tire?

Out of curiosity where are you going to get the arb from?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Anyone been able to run the stock gas tank along with the ARB and Genright aux tanks installed at the same time?

Not sure what can be done with the muffler, but hoping there is a way to run all three tanks.

I like your plan, though I'd have one as drinking water and one as gas.

I'm curious where you plan to go that you need such massive range?

I drove AK to Argentina with a stock TJ 19 gal tank with about 375 miles of range and only once carried a jerry, and once ran about 6 miles short (because stations were empty...)

Now I'm in Africa with a JK's 22.5 gal tank and a titan 13 gal on the rear tire carrier, and the ~600 mile range has been ample for everything - Mali, Congo, DRC, Angola, etc. etc.

I can't imagine needing more, except maybe for the Gobi Desert or the Canning in Australia.

-Dan

JDaPP

Adventurer
How does the Genright install? If it doesn't push the muffler prior to the axle I am thinking this might could work as the ARB doesn't come past the axle.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Peaked my interest as I don't need the range as much as I like to be prepared (originally from Florida and would use in Hurricane season + I am "stationed" in California so I am registered in Florida) and I hate stopping at gas stations pretty much at the cost of everything. Yes I know it is illogical, which is why my wife won't let me do it to her Jeep but if someone else does it too, then I can't be crazy / she has to agree to it?

-For the ARB I found 2 websites that shows muffler setup like I suggested on post 2. http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/shop/jk-long-range-fuel-tank-2007-2011-petrol-4-door http://www.eadoffroad.com/genright-skp-8700-jeep-jk-07-up-transfer-case-skid-1-4-inch-aluminum-w-o-stock-tank

-What I don't know is how the 2012 sound dampner in the exhaust system would be affected by it. The other issue is where to put the EVAP? ARB has you move it for their install to I believe where the Genright goes.

-Additionally this link http://www.eadoffroad.com/genright-gst-1002-jeep-cj7-crawler-ext-gas-tank shows the exhaust running right by the genright tank so that may be feasible.

-Finally this thread used a TJ tank instead of the GENRIGHT so maybe it may have something of use: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/modified-jk-tech-dept/51061-gas-tank-relocation-cheap.html

Good luck, we are all counting on you (well okay, mostly just me)

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I just looked in the ARB Australia catalogue.

The 68L tank for the 4 door 3.6l JK is $1900 AUD plus another $770USD for fitting.

When you add shipping, I'd roughly guess that's about what it would cost in $USD.

-Dan

JDaPP

Adventurer
Beowulf, if you do decide to order the arb tank I would be interested in ordering as well. With multiple orders might be able to save on shipping. Thanks.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
This was more curiosity for planning my JL build. Hoping that many of the concepts will correlate to the JL once kits/parts are updated for the new model.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Checked into this a couple of years ago. The quote I got for the gen right and the long range auto tank, shipped, plumbed out the door was 6k. No ROI for me unless I was driving on mars.

greg.potter

Adventurer
I looked into the ARB tank a few years ago as well. At the time I was told me they would not insure the shipment unless there was a number of tanks and they were crated and on a pallet. Overall the cost and inability to insure the shipment killed it.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I looked into the ARB tank a few years ago as well. At the time I was told me they would not insure the shipment unless there was a number of tanks and they were crated and on a pallet. Overall the cost and inability to insure the shipment killed it.

They (LRA) said they would ship one, palletized, from melbourne to los angeles - for $1200. The tank was $1300 :rolleyes:. Then I was responsible for getting it to the east coast, an est $450-500. Once the total rang in at 6k I passed.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
I have installed one of the Gen-Right tanks into one of our customers 2016 Jeep JKU. Customer loves it and with the stock 22.5gal tank plus the extra 20gals from the Gen-Right his range almost doubled....!!!

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
An important thing to consider with the Gen Right tanks is what suspension you are running. The Gen Right tank will not fit with AEV suspensions, or any other suspensions with modified track bar towers that are on the axle without major modifications. A couple of years ago we had to cut down a Gen Right tank and trim about 3-4" out of it and then re-weld the entire assembly to get the clearance for the track bar tower/travel. Just something to keep in mind.

If there is enough interest in the Long Ranger tanks (ARB), I'd be happy to put together a group order with them. We bring containers over from Australia monthly, and can save significantly on shipping cost vs. individual purchases. If anyone is interested in that, shoot me a PM and we can discuss further.

Matt - Exploration Outfitters

JDaPP

Adventurer
I would take one. Would like to know rough price with shipping before fully committing. I live in San Diego so traveling up to LA to pick up would not be a issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles