JK: running both the ARB and Genright at the same time

JDaPP

Adventurer
So I reached out to lra, what I got back is " Cost of the 68 L aux tan is $1720.00 AUD - qty buy would be 5 for 15% discount - we can ship to the port of San Diego. Shipping cost would depend on qty for packaging - 1 tank would be $420.00 AUD. Pricing does not include import duties or taxes etc."

In US dollars that is around ~$1800 before tax and import fees. Does anyone know what kind of taxes or import fees I could expect? Any interest from exploration outfitters to import these in your shipments? Group buy? For that cost (or even a little more) I am willing to commit.

JK_Dave

Does anyone realize how much extra weight that would add onto their Jeep? Hundreds of pounds easily. Curious what the justification for all this extra fuel is.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I am aware of added weight. For me it is mostly convenience and time savings as I hate frequent stops for gas. Added benefit is less concerns while out exploring and eventually I will move back to Florida and would use it during hurricane season if forced to evacuate or shortages.

BigBad408

Observer
Does anyone realize how much extra weight that would add onto their Jeep? Hundreds of pounds easily. Curious what the justification for all this extra fuel is.

Unleaded fuel weighs about 6.33lbs per gallon. If you're talking the GENRIGHT 20 Gal, you're looking at 126lbs of fuel. If the tank setup weighs more than 75lbs I'd be very surprised(it's an aluminum tank). But let's call it 75lbs for conversation sake. Looking at 200lbs for extra fuel and tank. "hundreds"? technically yes. But also the same or less than most roof top tent and rack setups...carried MUCH lower on the chassis. Or the same as ONE passenger.

As for justifications, that's easy. There are some amazingly remote parts of this country and significantly more remote locations throughout the world. 22 gallons of fuel (stock JKU) becomes a frighteningly small amount when you are in the back of beyond, loaded down with gear, in 4wd getting pitiful gas mileage. External fuel storage like a Jerry Can or Rotopax are an alternative to get the fuel capacity, but are typically carried higher on the chassis, making the weight ever so more significant. Having an extra 20 gallons on tap whenever would be awesome and worth the weight penalty IMO. The wallet penalty is the one that hurts me.

JK_Dave

Well, the OP mentioned adding both the Genright tank as well as a portable tank on his tire carrier. That hits hundreds of pounds easily when full.

I'd also argue that when you're traveling off-road, unless you're bombing down fire roads, your MPG is not "pitiful". I can spend the whole day out on trails and not use a 1/4 tank. The lower range of your t/c is doing most of the work so you're not revving the engine much.

It all comes down to what type of traveling you're doing, but I'd argue the OP should really consider what effect all that extra weight has on his rig. More weight can reduce handling and increase the risk of breakage.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
I went from the stock 19 gallon tank on my LJ to the Genrite 31.5 gallon tank and don't regret it one bit. Is the Genrite heavier, yes, by a lot even before you add the fuel. The skidplate/mount for the Genrite is 3/16" thick steel and covers all but the top of the tank. The tank is also surrounded by 1/2 inch thick closed cell foam between it and the skidplate. Does it affect handling, yes, it significantly improves it as all the weight is as low as possible on the chassis. You can tell when the tank is empty or full. Does it hurt more at the tank, yep, but a literally small price to pay for the very extended range and the security that I will likely never damage the actual tank no matter how hard I try. If I do manage to damage it you can bet the rest of the Jeep is far too messed up to continue anyway.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Unleaded fuel weighs about 6.33lbs per gallon. If you're talking the GENRIGHT 20 Gal, you're looking at 126lbs of fuel. If the tank setup weighs more than 75lbs I'd be very surprised(it's an aluminum tank). But let's call it 75lbs for conversation sake. Looking at 200lbs for extra fuel and tank. "hundreds"? technically yes. But also the same or less than most roof top tent and rack setups...carried MUCH lower on the chassis. Or the same as ONE passenger.

As for justifications, that's easy. There are some amazingly remote parts of this country and significantly more remote locations throughout the world. 22 gallons of fuel (stock JKU) becomes a frighteningly small amount when you are in the back of beyond, loaded down with gear, in 4wd getting pitiful gas mileage. External fuel storage like a Jerry Can or Rotopax are an alternative to get the fuel capacity, but are typically carried higher on the chassis, making the weight ever so more significant. Having an extra 20 gallons on tap whenever would be awesome and worth the weight penalty IMO. The wallet penalty is the one that hurts me.

It was the low ceter of gravity and mounting location between the axles that attracted me to this solution initially. I ended up going with the AEV bumper mounted fuel caddy - I would have much rather beeen able to go with the Long Ranger. Maybe one day when I have run out of other places to spend my money!

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Sorry guys for the delayed reply, I've had some issues with getting notifications on posts/PMs from the forum. I've sent an e-mail to LRA to get a determination on exactly what quantity purchase they will require to get a decent break on the costs. As soon as I get an answer back I will post up and see if we can get enough people to make it worthwhile. Thanks!

Matt
EO

JDaPP

Adventurer
So wanted to provide some info. I realized there are two different companies: Long Range Automotive (LRA) and Long Ranger (ARB branded).

Long Range Automotive is based in suburban Melbourne, while Long Ranger is located near Sydney. Long Ranger fuel and water tanks are manufactured by Out Of Town 4WD PTY LTD.

The prices I quoted were for long ranger. I have found a company in California called Cruiser Brothers, LLC and they are a LRA distributor.

They offer the LRA Kit # JWJKPA36 is 60 litres, which is 15.8 gallons. I talked with Ward (owner) and he can get that tank to the US for less than what Long ranger would cost. I am going to place my order this week as he is going to request a shipment at the end of March for a May delivery. They do jeeps, Toyotas, etc. The customer service so far has been outstanding. He was actively answering email questions on Sunday (multiple). If you are interested let me know and I can PM you more info.

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Please allow me to introduce myself.....

1526275870619.png
Ward Harris here from Cruiser Brothers, and yes - we are the US exclusive distributor for Long Range Automotive fuel tanks. We offer all of LRA's fuel tank product line from our Stockton, California offices. My partner, Georg Esterer, runs a Land Cruiser shop there. We are both long-term 4 wheel drive guys and we have both owned Jeeps as well as Toyotas and other strange beasts (like a Pinzgauer).

We order for stock and custom requests every two weeks and ship by air. If what you want is not in stock, the turn-around from order to your delivery is four to five weeks.

The website is under remodel, but you can see us at www.cruiserbrothers.com. Feel free to email info@cruiserbrothers.com or call me at 209-636-0831.

Thanks!
Ward

16 gallon tank for JKs

1526275593689.png

Last edited:

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Sure did. Just waiting for it to arrive. Expecting beginning of Juneish
@JDaPP - Talked to Australia today and we are trying to move up half of the current order shipment to next week (no promises) with arrival in late May..... Keep ya posted.

We stuck our friends with a huge order and they kinda got swamped...... Nice folks, they deserve better :):)

RacerAV

Anyone been able to run the stock gas tank along with the ARB and Genright aux tanks installed at the same time?

Not sure what can be done with the muffler, but hoping there is a way to run all three tanks.
i have the flowmaster american thunder hi clearance exhaust. that got rid of the rear muffler completely and keeps the exhaust flowing all the way to the rear bumper even without moving. might still have room for the GR tank. or at least have some sort of spare tank mounted under there???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles