Older Ford ABS/proportioning valve questions

Numbchux

Little backstory:

I bought this '94 Ford E150 5.8/351W Conversion van a couple months ago. It's been badly neglected/sitting (only 99k miles on it, tires look brand new but date codes say from 2007). Structurally it's pretty decent, frame and body are completely workable, although I'll probably go to town with the wire wheel, POR15 and undercoating. But, all the thinner metal parts underneath are failing. Fuel filter is rusted through. Brake lines are all nasty, smog pump seized, etc.

I started by replacing the brake lines on the rear axle with NiCopp line and stainless fittings as that was the worst of it. Hoping that it would hold pressure just so I could pull it in the garage and start work on the rest...

Put my foot on the brake, and it's coming out either right next to the ABS pump and just dripping down and off the pump, or possibly the pump itself is leaking.

I've never had good luck with ABS from this vintage, but I've never experienced the Ford system. It looks like most of these were 2-wheel ABS, so the 4-wheel pump is not common and kinda pricey. Any thoughts on it? Worth saving? Worth deleting?

Next question, assuming I do delete the ABS. I'm guessing the ABS pump acts as a proportioning valve, yes?

I'm leaning towards deleting it, and simplifying the plumbing on the van considerably. Plumb in a $40 Summit adjustable prop valve in the line for the rears right next to the Master, and dial it in until I like the balance. That worked excellently on my 4Runner.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm leaning towards deleting it, and simplifying the plumbing on the van considerably. Plumb in a $40 Summit adjustable prop valve in the line for the rears right next to the Master, and dial it in until I like the balance. That worked excellently on my 4Runner.

This is what i would do if it were mine.

Last edited:

derjack

Adventurer
Little backstory:

I bought this '94 Ford E150 5.8/351W Conversion van a couple months ago. It's been badly neglected/sitting (only 99k miles on it, tires look brand new but date codes say from 2007). Structurally it's pretty decent, frame and body are completely workable, although I'll probably go to town with the wire wheel, POR15 and undercoating. But, all the thinner metal parts underneath are failing. Fuel filter is rusted through. Brake lines are all nasty, smog pump seized, etc.

I started by replacing the brake lines on the rear axle with NiCopp line and stainless fittings as that was the worst of it. Hoping that it would hold pressure just so I could pull it in the garage and start work on the rest...

Put my foot on the brake, and it's coming out either right next to the ABS pump and just dripping down and off the pump, or possibly the pump itself is leaking.

I've never had good luck with ABS from this vintage, but I've never experienced the Ford system. It looks like most of these were 2-wheel ABS, so the 4-wheel pump is not common and kinda pricey. Any thoughts on it? Worth saving? Worth deleting?

Next question, assuming I do delete the ABS. I'm guessing the ABS pump acts as a proportioning valve, yes?

Could you do a picture, please?

I own a 1993 Quigley with Rear Wheel ABS. And this shows issues after I turned the truck 180 degrees on the street "while" changing tires; 265 one side 315 other. ABS light and parking Brake light. I sadly have no clue how this system works. I´ve seen the ABS tone ring but are there sensors at the wheels also?

Is this type of ABS pump that kind of an issue? Can be nice to have ABS in the rear at least when going down and needing to brake real hard...

Numbchux

This what i would do if it were mine.

Well, I probably will, then. Thanks!

Could you do a picture, please?

I own a 1993 Quigley with Rear Wheel ABS. And this shows issues after I turned the truck 180 degrees on the street "while" changing tires; 265 one side 315 other. ABS light and parking Brake light. I sadly have no clue how this system works. I´ve seen the ABS tone ring but are there sensors at the wheels also?

Is this type of ABS pump that kind of an issue? Can be nice to have ABS in the rear at least when going down and needing to brake real hard...

Here's the pump that mine has, pictured upside-down. It's got 5 ports, 2 from the master, one to the rear, and one to each front wheel.
aa025383-oem-1994-1996-ford-e150-250-350-4wheel-abs-pump-assembly-w-mod-f8uz-2c286-arm-2.png

I'm not quite sure exactly how either system works. In my experience, even the crappy systems have sensors on all 4 wheels, and that's how the computer can tell if one locks up (in my experience, the systems don't work well until they have at least a steering angle sensor and yaw sensor as well). But the Econoline system is way simpler than that, both rear wheels have one sensor, and are not controlled independently. And I believe the Rear only vans don't even have front sensors. I don't know how on earth this system could possibly be effective.

I'm also less worried about the rears locking up since I have the extra weight of the high-top conversion van in the back.

derjack

Adventurer
Well, I probably will, then. Thanks!

. In my experience, even the crappy systems have sensors on all 4 wheels, .

:sombrero: even the crappier systems :wings:
Alright, thanks for the picture and stuff. I will have a look into that.

PS: You´re probably right. If this system is that simple on an Van, like mine, it is probably relative useless. I haven´t gone into detail (and it is raining all day/every day long here) but I think there aren´t any more than the diff tone ringe sensor.

Last edited:

Numbchux

Not really much of an update, but I got a kick out of this pile of junk on the garage floor.

2018-01-12_11-33-16 by Numbchux, on Flickr

That's the ABS pump, and every inch of hard line in front of the gas tank. I was really shocked how inaccessible the fittings at the front hoses are, I think I'm going to bend that tab a bit so that a person could get a flare nut wrench on there. I need to order another roll of NiCopp line, and a prop valve, and an above-zero day that agrees with my work schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles