Thread: tyre to tray clearance

Default tyre to tray clearance

hope you all had a good christmas, i am starting to make my tray for the nps single cab and looking for advice on the tyre to wheel arch distance when unloaded. i have spent some time searching on here and have found nothing yet. vehicle is a 2007 nps single cab with 37 inch super singles and will be probable permanantly loaded at close to its 6000kg gvm

Measure bump stop clearance and add 25% of bumpstop height for bump stop squish. Estimate cross axle deflection using straight edge to simulate max droop one side max compression the other. Add all together and you’ll be pretty close.

My tray run 75mm chassis rails and 50mm floor joists

Mitsubishi have a rear axle bump diagram. I don't know about Isuzu.

Simplistically, one side on squashed bump stop, the other side fully extended.

The narrow chassis and dynamic forces mean the movement can be a lot more than one may imagine at first glance.

Then allow for tyre size.

Quote Originally Posted by trackadda View Post
    hope you all had a good christmas, i am starting to make my tray for the nps single cab and looking for advice on the tyre to wheel arch distance when unloaded. i have spent some time searching on here and have found nothing yet. vehicle is a 2007 nps single cab with 37 inch super singles and will be probable permanantly loaded at close to its 6000kg gvm
    G'day i have an NPS crew with singles , from the top of the tyre to the under side of the wheel arch i have close to 300mm . With all this flex it only came within 180mm of the tray ,
    hope that helps. I guess you need to take into account the extra weight .

maybe a second forklift on the opposite side, lifting the frame, so one side is fully compressed, the other side fully expanded.

also things "bend" under dynamic loads in ways that don't show with static loading.

but 180mm from that position "should" be ok. I have 250mm from flat on the Canter.

Hi Trakka, I posted the same question here a couple of years ago, there is a diagram in the Isuzu body builder manual but not much use if you have changed wheels etc, I got all sorts of answers, some as low as 50mm clearance, as I've had the ATW springs and alloys done I asked them and they said aim for 200mm, I have 190mm unladen. Hope that helps.

thanks for the replies every one, i have aimed at 200 unloaded and i can't see this being a problem