Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Default Tires

I would think that this topic has been talked to death about, but in my search on the topic only 8 responses showed up, so with hesitation, I ask this seemingly obvious question:

It looks like my Primewell tires are wearing badly, so I may need to make a change in tires. I live near Lake Tahoe and (usually) get a lot of snow (still bare ground this year). I've been searching the forums for tire threads, but don't see any that exactly apply to my question, so here goes: I am currently running 30x9.5 15 Primewells (came with the Monty). Any recommendations on appropriate brand/type and size for a stock 95SR? I have no intention of lifting it, but I do want to have good manners on road (low tire noise- Primewells were loud), decent performance on dirt, great performance on snow, and still work well for the occasional situation where I am doing serious dirt-trial four wheeling in the nearby mountains, (no sand). I am assuming if you add wider tires, the fuel economy goes down along with adding more noise. comments? Also how does the performance of the 3.5L suffer when you add larger diameter (or width) tires? The engine isn't what I would call "peppy", so I would think as you add larger tires the performance drops off drastically. Now take into consideration I live at 6000 ft, so maybe my elevation is affecting my performance too. Comments appreciated. Also do certain tires "air down" better than others?

Definitely been beat to death, go buy a complete set of 5 BFG ko2's in 31x10.50r15 and get on with life.
    1998 Montero with winter/locker package with Old Man Emu springs/torsion bars/shocks, ARB winch bumper, 33x10.50 km2's, aluminum roof rack with ARB awning

Any "aggressive" tire is going to likely have more road noise and worse wear than the primewells. I am not a fan of the KO2s because they are an old design and have poor "siping" which is what gets you better wet and snow traction. My recommendation would be the Cooper AT3 or ATP. Great road manners and the AT3 I know comes with a 60k mile warranty (maybe the ATP too?).

If you are made of money, you can get the Michelin LTX AT/2 and have fantastic gas mileage, whisper quiet road noise, and from what I've read; great off-road manners.

Regarding airing down; yes all tires will behave a little differently. One of the things you want to pay attention to is the load rating of the tire. A bad way of explaining load range is that a heavier load range or rating will have more plies and a thicker side wall that may be less prone to puncture, and more resilient against damage occurring from reduced pressures. That does not mean that a "C" rated tire is "worse" than an "E" rated tire, but it is something to consider. Generally speaking, the higher load range tires deliver a stiffer ride.

Performance will suffer with larger diameter tires at your elevation, but it is not a "deal breaker" in my opinion depending on how large you go. Also in my opinion, the tire weight will affect your gas mileage more than the width.

I know you didn't ask, but I am running the Cooper ST Maxx in a tall/skinny configuration of 235/85r16 on my Gen 3. They have insane off-road traction, and excel on ice and in snow. I can provide some "kill stories" if you like, but I cannot imagine better performance on snow and ice. When I air down I run a pressure of 10-12psi and I've had no issues with some pretty severe side load. Worth noting is that the ST Maxx has "armortek 3" sidewalls which is a kevlar 3 ply sidewall. The downside to these tires is that they cup easily and require frequent rotations. They are also noticeably noisy when they begin to cup, but not as bad as the KO2 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nnamssorxela View Post
    If you are made of money, you can get the Michelin LTX AT/2 and have fantastic gas mileage, whisper quiet road noise, and from what I've read; great off-road manners.

Regarding airing down; yes all tires will behave a little differently. One of the things you want to pay attention to is the load rating of the tire. A bad way of explaining load range is that a heavier load range or rating will have more plies and a thicker side wall that may be less prone to puncture, and more resilient against damage occurring from reduced pressures. That does not mean that a "C" rated tire is "worse" than an "E" rated tire, but it is something to consider. Generally speaking, the higher load range tires deliver a stiffer ride.

Performance will suffer with larger diameter tires at your elevation, but it is not a "deal breaker" in my opinion depending on how large you go. Also in my opinion, the tire weight will affect your gas mileage more than the width.

I know you didn't ask, but I am running the Cooper ST Maxx in a tall/skinny configuration of 235/85r16 on my Gen 3. They have insane off-road traction, and excel on ice and in snow. I can provide some "kill stories" if you like, but I cannot imagine better performance on snow and ice. When I air down I run a pressure of 10-12psi and I've had no issues with some pretty severe side load. Worth noting is that the ST Maxx has "armortek 3" sidewalls which is a kevlar 3 ply sidewall. The downside to these tires is that they cup easily and require frequent rotations. They are also noticeably noisy when they begin to cup, but not as bad as the KO2 IMO.
    Tell me more about your tall skinnies. What is the advantage of the bigger wheel & skinny tires, vs the smaller, other than 1/2" taller wheel. Being an "older guy" it has been my assumption that the big, wide tires is mainly for looks. If the manufacturer thought that it made that much difference, they would offer it as an option- at least that is my thinking. Or was it because in 1995, the 15" tire was more common than the taller ones now? I want to keep it as stock as the engineers designed it for. No sense throwing everything out of alignment and spending thousands to bring it back to an adjusted state. If the 1995 SR was being manufactured right now (2017), with the same engine, hp and setup, what sized tires do you think it would come with stock? As a slight upgrade? The problem with taller tires is I need to also buy new wheels. What other vehicle wheels fit my Monty? I am not looking for fancy wheels, just anything that will work and I could find on craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnblue View Post
    Tell me more about your tall skinnies. What is the advantage of the bigger wheel & skinny tires, vs the smaller, other than 1/2" taller wheel. Being an "older guy" it has been my assumption that the big, wide tires is mainly for looks. If the manufacturer thought that it made that much difference, they would offer it as an option- at least that is my thinking. Or was it because in 1995, the 15" tire was more common than the taller ones now? I want to keep it as stock as the engineers designed it for. No sense throwing everything out of alignment and spending thousands to bring it back to an adjusted state. If the 1995 SR was being manufactured right now (2017), with the same engine, hp and setup, what sized tires do you think it would come with stock? As a slight upgrade? The problem with taller tires is I need to also buy new wheels. What other vehicle wheels fit my Monty? I am not looking for fancy wheels, just anything that will work and I could find on craigslist?
    Lots of great info here, most of which are from this forum https://www.google.com/search?source....0.gWtwHsxkwhM
    1998 Montero with winter/locker package with Old Man Emu springs/torsion bars/shocks, ARB winch bumper, 33x10.50 km2's, aluminum roof rack with ARB awning

Jeep-N-Montero is correct. I also agree with everything the other guy said, except about KO2’s, which are a new design, with modern silicone based compounds. However, the STMaxx’s are quite good too, though possibly more agressive than what you are looking for. Think about the Falkien AT’s also.

Skinny is great, and is what I ran on my Monty. Lighter weight, better mileage, better traction in the wet and slippery due to increased pressure per inch thanks to the smaller contact point. When you need to air down, the contact patch gets longer, not wider (think about it, do your tread blocks increase in width? No, they don’t), so floatation on loose material like sand or deep snow is still excellent on skinny’s.

Lastly, your truck will fit 33’s without a lift, but you will see a degradation in engine performance, especially at altitude. I’d stay with 31’s with your described usage.
    "Occupy National Parks!" - gabepari
    ------------------------------------------
    TreadLightly! Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid certified
    KI6PFO
    Off Road Photography: www.nwoods.smugmug.com
    @4wdphoto on Twitter & Instagram

Yup, BFG K02... i always get the E rated versions,,,,I have them on several vehicles from 5,000-12,000, they go all for seasons in Montana, where we go from +60f to -60f in a couple of days... snow, mud, heat, rain, slush, ice, gravel, you name it, they are great, and nice and quiet on the Hwy....it is the only thing I will use on 6 vehicles, including plow and fire truck..and farm truck... great tireS

I have destroyed other tires on my high speed gravel roads, including Toyota open country... not the k02s

Do you guys know anything about the Kumho AT51 tires? The guy at the alignment shop suggested them (I want to decrease road noise), and upon reflection, most of my time will be spent on the highway, with occasional slow speed travel down occasional difficult rocky dirt roads. No serious rock crawling or baja bashing. I am an old guy... so my days of hauling *** all over the place are done. So I checked the reviews of the tire, and it looks like it may fit the bill. Reasonably aggressive, good in the snow, and dirt and best of all, much cheaper than the BFG's.

I've had Kuhmo all season highway tires, ok for the price. My tire/alignment guy of 30 years did not recommend their AT51s.

What he did recommend, and I now have as what I'd call a budget Michelin LTX M&S is the Sumitomo Encounter HT. Great all season, wisper quiet, blockier tread than my prior favorite Michelin, great in wet grass/etc., and a great price. Said all that to say, Sumitomo just released an All Terrain version of the Encounter HT. Check into a set of those, if they are anything like the all season version with the benefit of all terrain, they could be a winner...and you could be our guinea pig!

http://www.sumitomotire.com/trucks/p...counterAT.aspx
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=67TR6EAT
    Edit: manufacturer tire video

So, if our legendary BFGoodrich KO2s are out of my budget, I'd blindly get the Sumitomo Encounter AT over the Kuhmo, based on my happy experience with the Encounter HT (all season) so far.
    Last edited by normal_dave; 12-30-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add tire video link
    '02 Montero Limited
    '95 E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
    '12 7x16 Cargo Trailer Conversion/Camper/Toy Hauler
    '03 Montero Sport Limited

Quote Originally Posted by normal_dave View Post

So, if our legendary BFGoodrich KO2s are out of my budget, I'd blindly get the Sumitomo Encounter AT over the Kuhmo, based on my happy experience with the Encounter HT (all season) so far.
    Interesting.... I will look into it and get back with you guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast