2017 RAM 2500c Build. Tradesman---->AEV'ish

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Winch arrived but AEV's sold out of their front bumpers and "mud guards"... on HOLD
2h7jdaq.jpg

Tires arrived, TOYO Open Country 37x13.5
wahc2h.jpg

Cousin stopped by in his square body, headed out for a month, truck has a Cummins 5.9 with around 500 HP. Gets a few uncle Eddie looks but an awesome rig if people knew what they were looking at :smiley_drive:
2cnima9.jpg

Installing AEV lift, wheels, and tires. BushWacker fender flares painted and added also. Finally starting to de-Grandpa the truck.....
2wptn5e.jpg

Some Mall Crawling pictures coming until I can hit the road.

Is anyone running some rock sliders on these that they like? Or at least some tightly tucked side steps? Thanks

This is one good looking truck. Digging the black on white, and the lift to tires looks spot on. AEV is definitely quality gear.
What are your thoughts for the bed? Camper, Shell, or rack with tent?

Austo

Observer
This is one good looking truck. Digging the black on white, and the lift to tires looks spot on. AEV is definitely quality gear.
What are your thoughts for the bed? Camper, Shell, or rack with tent?

Thanks! I'm found a few Shells on Craigslist, thinking I'll start out with that and see how it goes.... Little Camper would be awesome but I figure start out small and see how or what my needs are.... Thoughts?

Gibby56

Desert Rat
I have the same sliders on my truck, I have every aev accessory other than a carli backcountry 3 inch suspension. Did you have trouble getting the sliders to fit? I got a horrible squeak.

Austo, No build thread yet. Im waiting to get a Four Wheel Camper on it then I'll probably start one. Right now I am using a bed tent and a roll up Lund cover for trips. I have mainly done desert/dune trips so its been more speed based stuff. This spring and summer I plan to explore the sierras and take some nice pictures.

Explorerinil, Yea the top of the the frame mount for the sliders was making contact with the body of the cab underneath near the body mount. I "gently" massaged it out of the way with an air hammer and covered it in undercoating paint. Problem solved!

Explorerinil

Observer
Austo, No build thread yet. Im waiting to get a Four Wheel Camper on it then I'll probably start one. Right now I am using a bed tent and a roll up Lund cover for trips. I have mainly done desert/dune trips so its been more speed based stuff. This spring and summer I plan to explore the sierras and take some nice pictures.

Explorerinil, Yea the top of the the frame mount for the sliders was making contact with the body of the cab underneath near the body mount. I "gently" massaged it out of the way with an air hammer and covered it in undercoating paint. Problem solved!

My mounts just had a date with the grinder, no more squeak. I called John when awhile ago, he said he had a carli equipped ram with a camper at his shop, otherwise he said he didn't make to many for carli equipped trucks... was that truck yours?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Thanks! I'm found a few Shells on Craigslist, thinking I'll start out with that and see how it goes.... Little Camper would be awesome but I figure start out small and see how or what my needs are.... Thoughts?

I think your idea is excellent! :beer:
Some awesome caps for cheap money out there used. If you don't like it, you can turn around and sell to someone else.
The great part is you'll have time to get out and use it, to really figure out what you want.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
My mounts just had a date with the grinder, no more squeak. I called John when awhile ago, he said he had a carli equipped ram with a camper at his shop, otherwise he said he didn't make to many for carli equipped trucks... was that truck yours?

I wish! No camper yet. Just a bed tent and air mattress for now

Sweet truck BTW, Austo! I really like how these truck look in white. I was between the white and granite crystal and ended up going the gc. How much did you have to trim for the 37's?

How is the AEV lift working out? I have seen some people having issues with the widened hole in the knuckle for the drag link opening up over time. I do prefer the angle of the drag link coming in from the top like the AEV package, I just get nervous when I see things like that pop up.

Explorerinil

Observer

Sweet truck BTW, Austo! I really like how these truck look in white. I was between the white and granite crystal and ended up going the gc. How much did you have to trim for the 37's?

How is the AEV lift working out? I have seen some people having issues with the widened hole in the knuckle for the drag link opening up over time. I do prefer the angle of the drag link coming in from the top like the AEV package, I just get nervous when I see things like that pop up.
I don't have the AEV kit, I've heard to many horror stories about trac bar failures and bushing problems. I run 37's with aev rims, there is a slight rub at full lock, I cut about an inch of plastic off the fender with a dremel tool. I like the aev kit allot since it moves the axle forward, I hope they get the bushings and knuckle issue fixed.

Austo

Observer
I think your idea is excellent! :beer:
Some awesome caps for cheap money out there used. If you don't like it, you can turn around and sell to someone else.
The great part is you'll have time to get out and use it, to really figure out what you want.

Sounds like a plan...

I didn't trim any....

I don’t have the AEV kit, I’ve heard to many horror stories about trac bar failures and bushing problems. I run 37’s with aev rims, there is a slight rub at full lock, I cut about an inch of plastic off the fender with a dremel tool. I like the aev kit allot since it moves the axle forward, I hope they get the bushings and knuckle issue fixed.

We'll see how the AEV kit works, I will have to keep an eye on this issues! Is there a thread you read the complaints on, or is it so drastic I can just search?

photo nomad

Adventurer
AEV Ram

I did a lot of research before I went with AEV on my Ram and found very few complaints about their system compared to happy customers. I actually talked to CJC Offroad, Carli and Thuren directly before making my decision. I'm wondering if the track bar issue stems from an install error (hole drilled too large). Either way, I believe the AEV bushing is the same as OEM, and Thuren tells people directly that with their lift, the factory track bar bushing will be worn out within 20,000 miles. My plan is to keep an eye on it and treat it like a maintenance item, replace every 20k or so. Maybe Laramieskibum can chime in on this, he's had his truck on AEV for a lot longer then I have.
IMG_4479.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I did a lot of research before I went with AEV on my Ram and found very few complaints about their system compared to happy customers. I actually talked to CJC Offroad, Carli and Thuren directly before making my decision. I'm wondering if the track bar issue stems from an install error (hole drilled too large). Either way, I believe the AEV bushing is the same as OEM, and Thuren tells people directly that with their lift, the factory track bar bushing will be worn out within 20,000 miles. My plan is to keep an eye on it and treat it like a maintenance item, replace every 20k or so. Maybe Laramieskibum can chime in on this, he's had his truck on AEV for a lot longer then I have.
View attachment 431145

Do you have a build thread? Love the truck, those AEV Salta wheels look killer!!!

Explorerinil

Observer
Sounds like a plan...

I didn't trim any....

We'll see how the AEV kit works, I will have to keep an eye on this issues! Is there a thread you read the complaints on, or is it so drastic I can just search?
Look on cumminsforum, power wagon forum and aev forum. Keep an eye on the trac bar and knuckle, check torque when u change your oil.

Spixelz

Adventurer
Great build! I am building a AEV Ram with our 2016 Laramie. The Tacoma just got too uncomfortable! Did you install the lift yourself? If so, How was the difficulty? Me and a buddy will be tackling mine next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles