2017 RAM 2500c Build. Tradesman---->AEV'ish

photo nomad

Adventurer
Is this a new addition to the household or a replacement for the FJC?

Sold the FJ. I needed more space and wanted to go from an RTT to a 4Wheel Camper. Having some interior space will be real nice on the longer trips, particularly in poor weather. Plus the short range of the FJ was getting old. Even on 37’s I have more then double the range of my FJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Sounds like a plan...

I didn't trim any....

We'll see how the AEV kit works, I will have to keep an eye on this issues! Is there a thread you read the complaints on, or is it so drastic I can just search?

Guys reporting that their threads about problems being deleted from the AEV forum is enough for me to stay far away. You will not find a single complaint about Carli or Thuren anywhere.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Guys reporting that their threads about problems being deleted from the AEV forum is enough for me to stay far away. You will not find a single complaint about Carli or Thuren anywhere.

Censorship and damage control in their own forum, while unethical I will say that I am not surprised.

I think Carli currently makes the best bolt-on kit for HD trucks, in the Dodge world Thuren is a great option as well. Icon and BDS are also worth mentioning.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I also just purchased a 2500 CTD tradesmen. I have heard about the track bar issues and have been told to quickly upgrade to the Thuren track bar.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I also just purchased a 2500 CTD tradesmen. I have heard about the track bar issues and have been told to quickly upgrade to the Thuren track bar.

Dodge/Ram front ends are notorious for wearing out prematurely and becoming sloppy, it's definitely a negative aspect of the line. Upgrade to bigger/better/stronger stuff and don't look back or worry any longer.

Explorerinil

Observer

The older, pre radius arm trucks had problems with ball joints, TRE’s and trac bars/bushings, the new 13.5 plus radius arm trucks have been fine.

Austo

Observer
Great build! I am building a AEV Ram with our 2016 Laramie. The Tacoma just got too uncomfortable! Did you install the lift yourself? If so, How was the difficulty? Me and a buddy will be tackling mine next weekend.

I had a local shop that has performed a few of these before do it. The kit doesn't seem overly complicated to install though... Post some pictures when you get done!!

photo nomad

Adventurer
The internet is a big world AEV can hardly go around scrubbing all the forums, if people are not happy, it'll be easy to find.
The problem with both Carli and Thuren is the significant reduction in payload. When I contacted them about my build they both recommended staying with my factory rear springs, and factory sway bars front and rear. Basically I could run some of their springs up front and Kings, hardly a complete solution for many of us on this forum. Also, Carli is the first to tell its customers that their kits level the truck, but to the eye the front looks higher then the rear, when unloaded, add some weight in the rear and now you look like you're running a bro lift. Don't get me wrong, Carli and Thuren make the best performing lifts available for Ram trucks, they just weren't built with adding a ton of weight in mind. So, depending on your build, they may or may not work for you.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
the new 2500 Ram's are horrible for managing weight in the bed from the factory anyway. They get a nasty side to side wiggle and the opposing trackbar design is the main culprit in my opinion. That's why I had no problem swapping in softer springs for the nicer ride on/off road and switching out my boogie bumps with Timbrens when the camper goes on.

My father-in-laws stock 2500 long bed gets the "corgi" wiggle with his lance camper. Timbrens completely eliminated the issues

Explorerinil

Observer
The internet is a big world AEV can hardly go around scrubbing all the forums, if people are not happy, it'll be easy to find.
The problem with both Carli and Thuren is the significant reduction in payload. When I contacted them about my build they both recommended staying with my factory rear springs, and factory sway bars front and rear. Basically I could run some of their springs up front and Kings, hardly a complete solution for many of us on this forum. Also, Carli is the first to tell its customers that their kits level the truck, but to the eye the front looks higher then the rear, when unloaded, add some weight in the rear and now you look like you're running a bro lift. Don't get me wrong, Carli and Thuren make the best performing lifts available for Ram trucks, they just weren't built with adding a ton of weight in mind. So, depending on your build, they may or may not work for you.
I have a carli backcountry 3 inch kit, with rear carli mini packs. The trucks sits dead level, but when I town and haul I do get some sag, I have to pump up my rear air bags. I can say the truck did loose some payload, however the ride and handling has improve by 100%. I pull a 10k trailer often with a full load of split oak firewood to almost the top of my cab, with 20 psi back in my air bags I'm back to level.

Explorerinil

Observer
The Thuren rear trackbar took care of the wiggle in my truck.
Much better trac bar. When I had a 2500 I ran rear air bags which helped when towing, I only had to run about 15 psi to get stability. Ram really did a great job with the 2500 rear coil suspension.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

These are great points. The level "to the eye" is a Ram issue. The high hood and front wheel well being higher than the rear from the axle makes the trucks look almost level in a stock configuration. In any event, a set of airbags will cure almost any rear payload issue someone may have. The real solution was to buy a 3500 rather than a 2500 from the start though. That's why i skipped the 2500 for the 3500 SRW.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
These are great points. The level "to the eye" is a Ram issue. The high hood and front wheel well being higher than the rear from the axle makes the trucks look almost level in a stock configuration. In any event, a set of airbags will cure almost any rear payload issue someone may have. The real solution was to buy a 3500 rather than a 2500 from the start though. That's why i skipped the 2500 for the 3500 SRW.

Yep,although a srw truck and hardsided campers don't equate safe emergency handling. Short of a dually the 3500 srw configuration is next best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94