2017 RAM 2500c Build. Tradesman---->AEV'ish

Dalko43

Explorer
@Austo, dude you're building the truck that I eventually want to put together.

Tradesmen. Sliders. Bumper. Onboard air. I assume lockers will be put on at some point?

I'm amazed by how FCA has continually refused to offer a diesel Power Wagon, and yet so many Ram owners have been basically building those trucks on their own using aftermarket options.

The truck looks awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing how the build progresses.

Austo

Observer
@Austo, dude you're building the truck that I eventually want to put together.

Tradesmen. Sliders. Bumper. Onboard air. I assume lockers will be put on at some point?

I'm amazed by how FCA has continually refused to offer a diesel Power Wagon, and yet so many Ram owners have been basically building those trucks on their own using aftermarket options.

The truck looks awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing how the build progresses.

Thanks man, it's nice being on the forum and people actually understand why/ or what you are building. I totally wanted a power wagon but was definitely getting the Cummins, you are very correct, FCA should get on that... Eventually lockers, probably the last thing I do. I need to win the lottery or something :)

Austo

Observer
Mine were the .188 wall with a full top plate (HEAVY). I was able to install them with the help of one more person, a floor jack, and two jack stands.

Both people pick up the slider and set it onto the floor jack
One person balances the slider while the other jacks it up
Get it close to position and put the jack stands underneath to support it
Fine tune location and bolt it up!

Took me ~30-45 Mins per side to get them on. White Knuckle made everything pretty straight forward. I had to request it but the front mount fit perfect with the Carli radius arm drop bracket! The front mounts did slightly make contact with the body. Not enough to not be able to install the sliders but enough to cause squeaking. I "massaged" the metal out of the way with an air hammer and hit it with rubber undercoating. This took another half hour or so.

As @Explorerinil said, take out the bins/coolers before hand. I removed both. It makes it easier to fine tune where the sliders mount and after they are bolted on, you can reinstall them. This also gave me time to add foam to the outer layer of the box that you don't see (you will see what I mean) to provide more insulation for beverages.

Another tip I received which I found helpful was to mark with a piece of masking tape the center of the cab and another piece to mark the center of the slider. I am a little OCD and needed both sides to match

So the passenger side slider is squeaking, I don't have an air hammer (maybe I can rent one or borrow one). What do you think about using a grinder and then hitting it with some undercoat?

Gibby56

Desert Rat
So the passenger side slider is squeaking, I don't have an air hammer (maybe I can rent one or borrow one). What do you think about using a grinder and then hitting it with some undercoat?
I don't like the idea of completely removing the metal in that area since that's your body mount for the cab. I would recommend using the air hammer with a "smoothing" tip if you can to just push the metal back and out of the way. Air hammers can be had at harbor freight for $15. It was good enough to get the job done for me. I already had a smoothing tip

Explorerinil

Observer
Pull the mounting plate and try grinding a tad off the top of the one rubbing first,

Austo

Observer
Is this where you think I'm getting the noises from? Should I grind down the slider and nut or air hammer the body in a little? Thanks for the advice guys, I can get an air hammer if needed....IMG_6999.jpgIMG_6997.jpgIMG_6997.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpg
    IMG_6998.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 42

Explorerinil

Observer
Is this where you think I'm getting the noises from? Should I grind down the slider and nut or air hammer the body in a little? Thanks for the advice guys, I can get an air hammer if needed....View attachment 441169View attachment 441167View attachment 441167
Air hammer may split the metal, mine had a date with the dremel tool and some undercoating, try lowering the slider first. Mine rubbed there and on the top of 2 mounts, are you getting vibration in the cab? If you are don’t freak out, it’s the sliders touching the body.

Austo

Observer
Did you dremel the body or the slider? Really isn't vibrating just a scratching sound in the cab.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
Air hammer may split the metal

It could depending on the tip. I used a smoothing tip which has a larger surface area than the standard style. I doesnt look pretty but I didnt have any issues and all the metal is still there.

I had to do both sides. The passenger was an immediate squeak as soon as the sliders went on but the drivers side made contact when on the trails

Austo

Observer
Since I have a Tradesman it didn't come with Fog Lights and my AEV bumper arrives tomorrow. I wanted something a little different and ordered these, pictured, they look kind of OEM with a twist. Has anyone else tried this brand? Also, besides the button for fog lights (which I have) do you think the base RAM's still wired for fog lights? Thanks
Med Fog Light.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Be careful an air hammer will punch through the floor or can if your not careful. I pulled each shim and looked for a ware spot and bro nd them down a tad until the squeaking stopped, also try pulling your slider down as far as you can. I had a 4 month battle with the squeak and a vibration. If you can get it, pm me me, I’ll give you my cell number and give you advice... I’m not very good at typing instructions.

Explorerinil

Observer
Since I have a Tradesman it didn't come with Fog Lights and my AEV bumper arrives tomorrow. I wanted something a little different and ordered these, pictured, they look kind of OEM with a twist. Has anyone else tried this brand? Also, besides the button for fog lights (which I have) do you think the base RAM's still wired for fog lights? Thanks
View attachment 458053
I have had good luck with morimoto products, the wiring is there just zip tied up, you may need to have the dealer activate the fogs in the computer. I bet the led would cause a light out alert with the factory button, you may want to just wire them up separately.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Nice truck! I love my '06 CTD.
DSC_04683.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke