2017 RAM 2500c Build. Tradesman---->AEV'ish

Austo

Observer
I've been on here awhile usually in the Toyota section or Land Rover. I have always wanted a full size rig for towing toys or taking road trips etc. Saw the RAM 2500 AEV's and fell in love!

I'm from Kansas City but flew up to Dennis Dillon in Idaho, they have the best prices in the US on RAM, it also doubled as a fun excuse for a road trip. Ended up stopping in Utah (stopped by diesel brothers, don't ask), Wyoming, and then Colorado before making it home to KC.

My original plans for the Truck: Nothing
What I'm doing now: AEV lift, 37's, AEV Bumper, Warn 16.5ti, Air Lockers, and MISC.

Here is a picture of my old Toyota in the front. Building a 4-Runner now so I have more seating....
vd04u9.jpg

21osnig.jpg

m8kzsh.jpg

28gv4ns.jpg

10cpv7d.jpg

e128hj.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Congrats on the rig! I have always been intrigued by the AEV offerings, I wish they would do something similar for the Ford F-250/350 as well, who wouldn't want to run 40's with a 3" lift?! I will be following along on this build, it should be a good one. Enjoy your new ride!

Austo

Observer
Winch arrived but AEV's sold out of their front bumpers and "mud guards"... on HOLD
2h7jdaq.jpg

Tires arrived, TOYO Open Country 37x13.5
wahc2h.jpg

Cousin stopped by in his square body, headed out for a month, truck has a Cummins 5.9 with around 500 HP. Gets a few uncle Eddie looks but an awesome rig if people knew what they were looking at :smiley_drive:
2cnima9.jpg

Installing AEV lift, wheels, and tires. BushWacker fender flares painted and added also. Finally starting to de-Grandpa the truck.....
2wptn5e.jpg

Some Mall Crawling pictures coming until I can hit the road.
zyga5l.jpg

23w1tvd.jpg

2lc3dra.jpg

1qshdx.jpg

24cuujp.jpg

Is anyone running some rock sliders on these that they like? Or at least some tightly tucked side steps? Thanks

Austo

Observer
Congrats on the rig! I have always been intrigued by the AEV offerings, I wish they would do something similar for the Ford F-250/350 as well, who wouldn't want to run 40's with a 3" lift?! I will be following along on this build, it should be a good one. Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks! I know they have parts for the Chevy Colorado now, I bet they eventually expand their lineup further. Since Ford also has a SFA, do you need much lift for 37-40's? I'm already regretting not getting 40's...

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Thanks! I know they parts for the Colorado now, I bet they eventually expand their lineup further. Since Ford also has a SFA, do you need much lift for 37-40's? I'm already regretting not getting 40's...

No, I've seen guys run 37's and even 38's with no lift with some trimming on the 17+. Most do a 2" level and 37's, 4" clears 38's and a 6" will put you on 40's all day long. I think if someone made an aftermarket fender for these new trucks like those from AEV or those on the MegaRaptor, then a 2.5-4" lift in combo with the fenders would be plenty for 40's. Most simply don't want or need 40's, very impractical for 95% of owners.

I just put a 4" lift on my '17 with 37's, it could easily clear 38's, lets just say there are mild regrets lol. But all in all I am happy with where it is, they are so darn high as it is, making them even bigger just complicates things even more ergonomically.

Love the transformation on your truck, I can't wait to see it completed. Any word on when the bumper will be back in stock? BTW, your cousins truck is sick and I am no fan of the Chebby, but a square body is the exception and one with a 12V is even more awesome.

squeezal

Nice looking transformation! Is that leather on the tradesman?

Can I ask why you opted for the AEV suspension? Was it an instant decision or did you consider others? I'm on the fence. Like the aspects of maintaining factory payload and stock coils but not so stoked on the Bilsteins. How's the ride compared to stock?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I put the Westin HDX steps on my F250. They don't appear to be any lower than my skid plates.

I first saw them on a Dodge, and they still looked pretty tucked in. Not much in the way of armor, but don't really need them for that much. Hopefully they'll at least stop a few tossed rocks or brush.

Austo

Observer
No, I've seen guys run 37's and even 38's with no lift with some trimming on the 17+. Most do a 2" level and 37's, 4" clears 38's and a 6" will put you on 40's all day long. I think if someone made an aftermarket fender for these new trucks like those from AEV or those on the MegaRaptor, then a 2.5-4" lift in combo with the fenders would be plenty for 40's. Most simply don't want or need 40's, very impractical for 95% of owners.

I just put a 4" lift on my '17 with 37's, it could easily clear 38's, lets just say there are mild regrets lol. But all in all I am happy with where it is, they are so darn high as it is, making them even bigger just complicates things even more ergonomically.

Love the transformation on your truck, I can't wait to see it completed. Any word on when the bumper will be back in stock? BTW, your cousins truck is sick and I am no fan of the Chebby, but a square body is the exception and one with a 12V is even more awesome.

I do agree anything over 37's would make it even worse to drive around town. If I lived in a more rural area I wouldn't mind having 40's. Have a build thread?

I didn't think he'd ever have a Chevy either....

Nice looking transformation! Is that leather on the tradesman?

Can I ask why you opted for the AEV suspension? Was it an instant decision or did you consider others? I'm on the fence. Like the aspects of maintaining factory payload and stock coils but not so stoked on the Bilsteins. How's the ride compared to stock?

Vinyl seats. What other lifts are you considering? I just liked how it kept so much of the stock geometry and was a minimal lift. I get the Bilsteins but these are 'supposedly' specially tuned for the kit, who knows. I did the lift and tires at the same time so there is obviously a change but it's more because of the tires. I would say it rides exactly the same, maybe a little smoother with more sidewall. I've been happy with it overall but it's only been about 1,500 miles.

I put the Westin HDX steps on my F250. They don't appear to be any lower than my skid plates.

I first saw them on a Dodge, and they still looked pretty tucked in. Not much in the way of armor, but don't really need them for that much. Hopefully they'll at least stop a few tossed rocks or brush.

Yea I like those, what I'll get if I go with steps, which everyone who rides passenger has been asking for....

dmoo

I love the tradesman/cummins as a starting platform. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Gibby56

Desert Rat
+1 on the White Knuckle Offroad Sliders. I have them on my '15 and they fit perfect and are extremely stout. I opted for the .188" wall with the full top plate and have no doubts about them holding up to the abuse. I ordered mine and told them the truck has the 3" carli suspension and the front mounts came already modified to work with the suspension. Great attention to detail, you definitely get what you pay for.

Austo

Observer
+1 on the White Knuckle Offroad Sliders. I have them on my '15 and they fit perfect and are extremely stout. I opted for the .188" wall with the full top plate and have no doubts about them holding up to the abuse. I ordered mine and told them the truck has the 3" carli suspension and the front mounts came already modified to work with the suspension. Great attention to detail, you definitely get what you pay for.

Awesome. Have any pictures or a build thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles