Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the 5.4 underpowered?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    577
    Raul - You can do 85mph with a coil suspension confidently?
    2010 E150 5.4l RB

    The Tan Hot Dog Build - http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-16958.html

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
    Raul - You can do 85mph with a coil suspension confidently?
    I've been told that it will do 90+ without any drama (I'll never do that on a public road). I do not have steering stabilizer and I believe I could take my hands off the wheel.

    Legal disclaimer: I do not do nor I condone exceeding any posted speed limit.
    Current: 2010 Ford E350 5.4 V8 MG 4x4

    Build thread: The-Rig-Runner

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Hatteras Island,NC
    Posts
    72
    I had no complaints with 35s, 4.56 gears and a heavy rig 9,200lbs, tuned and exhaust. Actually rather enjoyed it, but if you are towing any weight probably not. An external cooler with electric fan will keep the tranny happy, which is the weak point.
    @burlydirtyhippy

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Hatteras Island,NC
    Posts
    72
    Not mine anymore, but I miss her
    Attached Images Attached Images
    @burlydirtyhippy

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    I've been told that it will do 90+ without any drama (I'll never do that on a public road). I do not have steering stabilizer and I believe I could take my hands off the wheel.

    Legal disclaimer: I do not do nor I condone exceeding any posted speed limit.
    Good to hear!
    2010 E150 5.4l RB

    The Tan Hot Dog Build - http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-16958.html

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Burlydirtyhippy View Post
    ...An external cooler with electric fan will keep the tranny happy, which is the weak point.
    I've seen people using the trans cooler as power steering cooler and getting a bigger cooler for the trans. I am considering it as the transmission (4r75) is the same that Ford used on the Crown Vic. When i was checking transmission places to do the 4x4 swap I have to convince them that that was indeed the transmission on my 1 ton van.
    Current: 2010 Ford E350 5.4 V8 MG 4x4

    Build thread: The-Rig-Runner

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Hatteras Island,NC
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    I've seen people using the trans cooler as power steering cooler and getting a bigger cooler for the trans. I am considering it as the transmission (4r75) is the same that Ford used on the Crown Vic. When i was checking transmission places to do the 4x4 swap I have to convince them that that was indeed the transmission on my 1 ton van.
    Haha, same here.
    A deep pan and transmission temp. gauge are worthy investments as well, especially if you are working it.
    @burlydirtyhippy

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    40
    I have a Ujoint converted E350 EB 5.4 with 4.56 on 35's. I also have a stock 2WD 7.3 to compare. While the 5.4 doesn't have the same oomph as the 7.3, it's adequate even loaded with 5 people and a moderate amount of gear.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sonoma County, CA
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by derjack View Post
    Why start the 10. million thread about that? What does "underpowered" mean to anyone? This a is totally useless term.
    Wasn't trying to start a debate. Maybe I should have been more specific. What I'm trying to avoid is downshifting at every overpass (which my Astro does now) and not having any reserve power in traffic situations that call for instant response from the loud pedal.

    Thank you everyone else for the input. I'm going to look at the van tomorrow. Seller is motivated and I think I can get it for under $2500. I'll either swap the body onto my 7.3 frame or 4x4 it as is.

    If the latter, I'll do a tune and 4.30's on 33's (only because I can get 2013+ axles already geared that way); or re-gear it to 4.56's on 35's.
    Pretty sure I can make a few bucks flipping it at that point if the 5.4 doesn't meet my needs.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
    Raul - You can do 85mph with a coil suspension confidently?
    For sure. They are fine on the highway.

    From my experience I'd say most of the people who tell the coil/quigley horror stories are running empty with horrible tires. After swapping to a wider, higher quality tire the van is much more confident on the highway. Weight is also a factor- driving one of these vans when it is gutted is pure hell. The springs are barely flexed so the ride is super stiff and frankly dangerous in the rain. Once outfitted and loaded down the springs are compressed enough for a decent ride quality.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •