Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LR4 spare tire options

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dubuque, Iowa
    Posts
    205
    I think the TR bumper with parking sensors is a nice setup overall. I also usually run with the spare under and the swing arms off, and the parking sensors on. I only put the dual swing arms on when I take a trip that requires carrying extra jerry cans or makes use of a trasharoo. The spare does interfere with the sensors, so I shut them off with the IID tool. (Tires are 265/65R18, partially worn, no deflate, heat shield in place.)

    I still need to do some more work on the rear sensors. They false alert occasionally, especially if dirty at all. I think they need a better o-ring around them to isolate them from the bumper. The thin rubber factory damper isn't enough. The mounts are only in there with silicone and those black plastic plugs that we used around the sensors. When I installed my ARB Summit bar, it came with nice little mounts and o-rings and its been perfect.

    It's just the gas struts and the two main bolts for the arms to switching things out, and dealing with the spare.

    13' Land Rover LR4

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwesner View Post
    I think the TR bumper with parking sensors is a nice setup overall. I also usually run with the spare under and the swing arms off, and the parking sensors on. I only put the dual swing arms on when I take a trip that requires carrying extra jerry cans or makes use of a trasharoo. The spare does interfere with the sensors, so I shut them off with the IID tool. (Tires are 265/65R18, partially worn, no deflate, heat shield in place.)

    I still need to do some more work on the rear sensors. They false alert occasionally, especially if dirty at all. I think they need a better o-ring around them to isolate them from the bumper. The thin rubber factory damper isn't enough. The mounts are only in there with silicone and those black plastic plugs that we used around the sensors. When I installed my ARB Summit bar, it came with nice little mounts and o-rings and its been perfect.

    It's just the gas struts and the two main bolts for the arms to switching things out, and dealing with the spare.

    Nice looking truck. I like the option of only using the swing arms when needed, but I guess that math depends on how often you are going off road and the effort of loading the tire underneath. I could see rolling with a flat fix kit and AAA membership for normal driving instead of mounting the spade underneath.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by mbwesner View Post
    I think the TR bumper with parking sensors is a nice setup overall. I also usually run with the spare under and the swing arms off, and the parking sensors on. I only put the dual swing arms on when I take a trip that requires carrying extra jerry cans or makes use of a trasharoo....

    It's just the gas struts and the two main bolts for the arms to switching things out, and dealing with the spare.
    Very nice setup. I'm biased but this is more/less the same rationale I employ with my swing away. Day in-day out, it isn't necessary and actually detracts from the vehicle. When there is a specific reason to move the tire to the back, easy enough to incorporate as part of the prep.

    As far as taking the spare up/down; that's not difficult (and a lot easier than getting it off the roof if one stowed one there)-and actually good for the spare tire winch's life.
    2006 D3 "Saqr"
    1996 D1 5 speed "Coyote"
    1954 S1 "Riley"
    Twin Mountain Off Road

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    62
    I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger, but am having trouble deciding whether to go with a full steel bumper + carrier or just a carrier. Certainly there is a weight savings by using just the carrier and the steel bumper is going to have greater durability, but aside from those, what are the use cases where it would be advantageous to have the full steel bumper? Did anyone here get just a tire carrier and wish they got the full bumper or vice versa?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,465
    I have just the carrier and did so intentionally b/c these trucks are heavy enough-and I don't tend to slam her rear into things all that much. Haven't regretted that choice, yet.
    r-
    Ray
    2006 D3 "Saqr"
    1996 D1 5 speed "Coyote"
    1954 S1 "Riley"
    Twin Mountain Off Road

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dubuque, Iowa
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
    I have just the carrier and did so intentionally b/c these trucks are heavy enough-and I don't tend to slam her rear into things all that much. Haven't regretted that choice, yet.
    r-
    Ray
    Those are probably great for most people, I agree. I like the idea of the steel for a couple reasons.

    1. if you are off road and you drag the ***, the factory bumper cover can get ripped off.
    2. I had the side step things put on my T44 bumper. They are handy for climbing to the back when im trailering my boat (to avoid that slimy slippery green ramp sludge or even having to get your shoes wet when hooking up the boat to the trailer)

    I also just like the idea that minor traffic bumps and me backing into crap (I admit, I have hit concrete support in a parking garage, trees, picnic table, things of that nature.)
    13' Land Rover LR4

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Apex NC
    Posts
    438
    I have the tactical rear bumper with tire carrier and dual Jerry can holders... the rear access isnít that bad if the swing outs are adjusted right. Takes some getting use to and fiddling with the adjustments.
    95' D90
    Insanity
    07' LR3 SE
    12' RR

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    27
    I donít own this but came across this product recently. Seems like they thought of everything and wanted to offer this as a potential. https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by SHS14 View Post
    I don’t own this but came across this product recently. Seems like they thought of everything and wanted to offer this as a potential. https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
    That may have merit from the 'non permanent' solution angle which is rather desirable for many. Could certainly be useful for someone that wants the tire back there for trips but doesn't want it back there day to day as it detracts from the ease of use of the superb tailgate (i.e. why I don't mount mine most of the time). The downside to be optimal you'd probably also want to have something like the Rhino hitch to retain what departure angle we have-so all told you are in $1k which is basically bumper territory. Still, for someone that doesn't want to chop up their truck or modify it, could certainly be a viable solution.
    r-
    Ray
    2006 D3 "Saqr"
    1996 D1 5 speed "Coyote"
    1954 S1 "Riley"
    Twin Mountain Off Road

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    27

    Default LR4 spare tire options

    I agree Ray. The option was in line with your earlier point, unless armor is required. The good thing here is it can be transferred to a new project (anything with a hitch) and it doesnít impact towing. I encourage those who are interested, to look at the other products on their site.

    Best,
    Joe

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •