LR4 spare tire options

keeper1616

Observer
What options do we have to carry a full sized spare?

Roof - I could put the spare on the Front Runner rack, but the thought of lugging it up there and down again if there's an issue isn't appealing.

Underside - I couldn't get the full-sized spare to fit. Perhaps if I deflate it? Has anyone done this?

Rear: Probably my preferred location, so who makes a carrier?
Front Runner - not available in the U.S.
Rasta 4x4 - not available in the U.S.
Tactical Rovers bumper - made in the U.S., but you lose the backup sensors according to their website. I have a question pending to them.
Voyager - I haven't heard much about this, does anyone have any feedback?

What other options am I missing?

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I ran with my spare tire up top on the roof for over 2 years and really liked having it up there out of the way. I've changed a flat and getting it down isn't the problem, it's getting it back up. It's very practical and you don't have to worry about anything.

I have since switched to the Tactical 4x4 rear bumper with swing away and like it a lot, but it's a little extra work to get into the boot. I'm very happy to NOT be using those rear sensors. It was painful to lose that convenience of Beep...beep...beep, but I am no longer dependent on technology and I'm a much better driver without it. Cut the cord, free yourself!!!

Putting a spare under the vehicle sounds nice until you need to change a tire. Depending where you are, in mud, a puddle, on rocks, etc. Worst choice ever, not to mention when the cable jams when raising/lowering the spare.

I've seen the Voyager and talked to the guy from the company. It's not a bad design (1/2 length swing away, not the full bumper length swing away) but the tire is located very high and will block a lot of the rear window. The tire mounted high probably ensures that it won't foul the rear sensors.

That's my experience. Hope it helps with your decision.

Ray_G

Explorer
I won't argue there is a special place in hell for having the spare under the truck and needing to change it.

Inevitably that will happen when it is freezing cold, and precipitating. Or swelteringly hot. Or combined with being offroad and the truck being precariously perched.

However...

How likely is that in your application? If it isn't that likely b/c you have good tires on the truck, don't see it doing too much nasty wheeling, etc...then I'd suggest you deflate it slightly and fit it in there b/c unless there is something significantly substantively different between the underside of a 4 than a 3, if I can fit a slightly deflated 275/65/18 under my truck I bet you can too. That way you'll have to have a decent little air compressor onboard too which isn't a bad thing.

I have a rear swing away, you'll note in most of my pics it isn't installed. The convenience of being able to open the rear hatch easily every day far outweighed the need to have the spare on the back for 99% of my use of the truck. The novelty of it wore off quickly. Mind you it will go back on for certain occassions, but day to day I am very happy with the spare under the truck and that is said knowing I'm tempting the gods of fate given that it is like -5 here right now and getting it out will be less than awesome.
r-
Ray

mpinco

Expedition Leader
What options do we have to carry a full sized spare?

Might help to specify the tire size. I run a fully inflated General Grabber AT2 285/60-18 in the factory spare tire location - underside. I would not work if I used a factory hitch which protrudes into the underside area. Problem solved with a Rhino hitch.

keeper1616

Observer
Might help to specify the tire size. I run a fully inflated General Grabber AT2 285/60-18 in the factory spare tire location - underside. I would not work if I used a factory hitch which protrudes into the underside area. Problem solved with a Rhino hitch.
Sorry, I run KO2 265/60-18, seems like I could smash it in there if I needed to, but I'm rethinking the roof option - that may be the best in my case - out of the way until I need it.

TOUGE

I have fitted a brand new KO2 275/65R18 in the factory mounting place under the car, I had to bend the heat shield a bit and let most the air out but I got it to fit. I have on board air so reinflating isn't an issue for me.

Seeing as the KO2 265/60R18(30.5" diameter) is only 0.5" bigger than OEM LR4 19"(30.0" diameter) tyre I don't think you will have much of a problem. Where the KO2 in 275/65R18 are 32.1".

if you run an exposed tire, back or roof just make sure you cover it to protect its life. Seems silly, but the constant UV exposure is much greater on a static tire than a rotating one that expands and contracts under dynamic driving load.

With that said, I have the TR bumper and rear swing out. I love the bumper, not a fan at all of the rear swing-out and will be making my own design for a dual swing out with auto door strikes for strength and ease of opening and closing. As other members have stated, it's quite the pain in the booty to open and close but the visibility is just fine on the back of the window.

Just my two cents...hope it helps!

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have the TR bumper with swing away for the spare. I always carry it, never know what city streets will do. Just today had a large screw in the LF tire and it was losing air. Had the shop put on the spare and left them the LF with screw to fix. They fixed it and I returned later and put it in place of the spare. Had the rest of the tires aired up.
Never be without your spare.
I am going to get an extra tire to carry on the RR for longer trips, can always mount it myself it needed. Need to get some tire irons though. I'm off to Napa.

phobucket

Observer
I'm looking for one for my LR3 too. I was thinking tactical because they are in CA, but I would love to avoid the weight of a full steel rear bumper.

Voyager will make one that mounts lower according to their site, but they say it will interfere with the parking sensors.

I like the FrontRunner design best, but it sure is expensive for a tire carrier.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
I know there is a lot of concern about the weight of things. My last vehicle was a 1973 Pinzgauer 710M that had about 80 HP. It weighed close to the heft of a LR3 that has about 300 HP. I find the increase HP a real boon to travel and adding a bit of weight here and there doesn't seem to slow me down much. I removed the third row seats (quite heavy) and that allows me the weight of the FR shelf system and part of a TR steel rear bumper. I have an ARB front bumper with a 12K Warn winch. The full size spare on a swing away carrier is a better way to carry a spare (not under) with the vehicle.
I am sure the RR is a wind catcher and does influence the MPG.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I think the TR bumper with parking sensors is a nice setup overall. I also usually run with the spare under and the swing arms off, and the parking sensors on. I only put the dual swing arms on when I take a trip that requires carrying extra jerry cans or makes use of a trasharoo. The spare does interfere with the sensors, so I shut them off with the IID tool. (Tires are 265/65R18, partially worn, no deflate, heat shield in place.)

I still need to do some more work on the rear sensors. They false alert occasionally, especially if dirty at all. I think they need a better o-ring around them to isolate them from the bumper. The thin rubber factory damper isn't enough. The mounts are only in there with silicone and those black plastic plugs that we used around the sensors. When I installed my ARB Summit bar, it came with nice little mounts and o-rings and its been perfect.

It's just the gas struts and the two main bolts for the arms to switching things out, and dealing with the spare.

IMG_20171104_181430_928-X2.jpg

phobucket

Observer
I think the TR bumper with parking sensors is a nice setup overall. I also usually run with the spare under and the swing arms off, and the parking sensors on. I only put the dual swing arms on when I take a trip that requires carrying extra jerry cans or makes use of a trasharoo. The spare does interfere with the sensors, so I shut them off with the IID tool. (Tires are 265/65R18, partially worn, no deflate, heat shield in place.)

I still need to do some more work on the rear sensors. They false alert occasionally, especially if dirty at all. I think they need a better o-ring around them to isolate them from the bumper. The thin rubber factory damper isn't enough. The mounts are only in there with silicone and those black plastic plugs that we used around the sensors. When I installed my ARB Summit bar, it came with nice little mounts and o-rings and its been perfect.

It's just the gas struts and the two main bolts for the arms to switching things out, and dealing with the spare.

IMG_20171104_181430_928-X2.jpg
Nice looking truck. I like the option of only using the swing arms when needed, but I guess that math depends on how often you are going off road and the effort of loading the tire underneath. I could see rolling with a flat fix kit and AAA membership for normal driving instead of mounting the spade underneath.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
I think the TR bumper with parking sensors is a nice setup overall. I also usually run with the spare under and the swing arms off, and the parking sensors on. I only put the dual swing arms on when I take a trip that requires carrying extra jerry cans or makes use of a trasharoo....

Very nice setup. I'm biased but this is more/less the same rationale I employ with my swing away. Day in-day out, it isn't necessary and actually detracts from the vehicle. When there is a specific reason to move the tire to the back, easy enough to incorporate as part of the prep.

As far as taking the spare up/down; that's not difficult (and a lot easier than getting it off the roof if one stowed one there)-and actually good for the spare tire winch's life.

phobucket

Observer
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger, but am having trouble deciding whether to go with a full steel bumper + carrier or just a carrier. Certainly there is a weight savings by using just the carrier and the steel bumper is going to have greater durability, but aside from those, what are the use cases where it would be advantageous to have the full steel bumper? Did anyone here get just a tire carrier and wish they got the full bumper or vice versa?

Ray_G

Explorer
I have just the carrier and did so intentionally b/c these trucks are heavy enough-and I don't tend to slam her rear into things all that much. Haven't regretted that choice, yet.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne