Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cranks but won't start

Quick Google search confirms they eliminated it in 04ish...thats crazy

It made no noise at all.

My 2001 TJ did not show any codes when the crank poisition sensor was bad. In fact it was showing other emission related codes. One day it just died in the drive way and would not start. Replaced the crank position sensor and it started and none of the other p codes have come back.

Best regards

I think you're on the right track. When the CPS dies, it won't even spark, so it certainly won't run (or even fire) on starting fluid... You probably had a dead fuel pump, but since DCX cheaped out and took the test port off the rail, it's much harder to tell... Listening will tell you if it runs at all, but the only way to check pressure is by disconnecting the line at the rail and plugging in a guage. Or just see if fuel blows out all over for a few seconds when you key it on, and if it "feels" like ~45psi when you put your thumb over it... (Ugh...)

FWIW, as the pumps wear down, and brushes loose contact, usually if you get a no start becuase the pump won't run, banging on the bottom of the tank (Hard to do on a TJ...) while cranking on it will get the pump to run again. If that works, it's time for a new pump!!
    '06 GMC K2500 CCSB D/A w/ '94 Hallmark Ute 8.5'
    '86 Jeep Comanche
    '00ish Jeep TJ Scrambler
    '99 XR400R
    I'm my own boss now, I do what I want!!!
    KB9SCX

When I disconnect the fuel line back at the gas tank, zero gas Leaked out. I would say the lack of fuel pressure plus the lack of it making any type of noise, would indicate it is indeed be pumping being dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I'm really hoping it is not the PCM. I have the tank down now. Sadly, no one in town has a new pump. I ordered up the Bosch unit. I'll have it in on Wednesday. Once in, I will report back.
    When my PCM went out it was 19 years old and had been through numerous deep water crossings, hell it even looked rough.

Sounds like It's your pump and that your on the right track. GOOD LUCK regardless!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Update: 04-JAN-2018

It was indeed the fuel pump. When I took off the fuel line there were only a few drops of gas. Upon installation of the new pump, putting the ignition in start produced the normal pressurization sound. Engine started immediately and ran great on my morning commute.

Here is the pump I used as a replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-67756-O.../dp/B000BZGCWY
    2006 AEV Unlimited Rubicon. Silver. 6-speed. 34x10.5R17 BFG KO2. OME ZJ/LJ. Nth TT. Alloy Shafts. 4.56 gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Update: 04-JAN-2018

It was indeed the fuel pump. When I took off the fuel line there were only a few drops of gas. Upon installation of the new pump, putting the ignition in start produced the normal pressurization sound. Engine started immediately and ran great on my morning commute.

Here is the pump I used as a replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-67756-O.../dp/B000BZGCWY
    Glad it worked out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Glad you got it working!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12