Thread: Suspension Seat Isuzu NPS crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Reddogtheo View Post
    ......PS I have found the the seat mounts seem to change your driving position and make long trips bad on my back..........Mick
    driving position is very different. The "ridge" across the front can be hard on the thighs. I have a thin cushion in the hole. Hadn't thought of raising the rear. Plus is the long trips were longer at higher speed with original springs. No idea with parabolics but we've had some very long days.

Agreed they are expensive new, I missed out on a few 2nd hand and in the end had to bite the bullet and go new.

Being the co-pilots chair they can get a bit fussy about hand me downs as well

I obviously have a different view about seats than some have discussed here.

Personally, I prefer to sit "in" a seat, not "on" it. If the seat supports you well, then there is less need for your muscles to do that task and the result is less fatigue.
    I used to have a set of Scheel race seats, that I made some minor modifications to the bolsters, and it fit me like a mould. I never got any driver fatigue, and I drove about 50K per year in that vehicle.

Everybody is different and for that reason I do not think that there a "one size fits all" solution here.
    As I have mentioned previously, I dislike the Stratos seats I have fitted in my truck, as I do not find them supportive or all that comfortable. Maybe that's just me, but I don't think they are a good seat.

The other significant thing I do not like about the Stratos seats is the actual suspension mechanism, as the more upright you make the seat, the less effective the mechanism becomes.
    My attempt to build something to go somewhere else...
    Canter4x4.com

Well today I fitted the Stratos seat Part SS904RH-927 . Took me about 1 hour that's including installing some sound/heat proofing under the seat . I took it for a drive and its a major difference , took me about 1/2 hour to get the right spring load setting adjusted but after that it was sorted and smooth . I have both arm rest and lumber support fitted they make the seat relay comfy , next I'll be ordering the passenger side.

Agree with sitting in. I feel because the standard 637 seats are flat they do not envelope much and while not too uncomfortable,they definitely don't assist when it comes to vehicle control as it is difficult to stabilize especially on uneven roads and surfaces. My truck has low ks so the seats would be as is from factory pretty much.

As a way of limiting cost and bureaucracy has anyone investigated getting the originals re-shaped and perhaps re-covered at a motor trimmer???
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WhereisFranklin View Post
    As a way of limiting cost and bureaucracy has anyone investigated getting the originals re-shaped and perhaps re-covered at a motor trimmer???
    Cheers
    Haven't found one (motor trimmer) that was interested enough to have a go yet. Well not true we have had the passenger side redone for a little improvement but not a lot. You are still sitting on it not in it. Drivers seat I find not to bad myself.

Dan

So, have been to discuss OEM seat re-shaping with an upholsterer here in Noosaville. Turns out they have done this kind of thing on a regular basis.

Lo For example , putting some shape into a folding two seat flat back and bench to create a kind if double bucket arrangement. That was going into an old fj 40 Tojo. Nothing too radical but he showed me the result and it was much more of a sit in than sit on as previously.

Also done seats in 4x4s and bikes for adventure type rallies etc.

Short story is "Yes, we can do that."

I mentioned driver and 1 1/2 passenger and it was no worries re-shaping both. As the original seat covers would unlikely fit with extra shaping, then in all likelihood the seats would need re-covering in a new fabric.

Right, now for the hard bit...around $2200 with about a 3 day turnaround. Happy to have trial fittings etc.

Still not cheap and still on stock seats without suspension but would definitely improve the situation. I would have been happier with $1500. Only trimmer I have spoken to so far.

What's the general opinion?

Neil

How about air cushion (still sit on, not sit in)?
    For passenger seat, I got the idea from a truckies forum. Many long route drivers are using air cushions meant for old patients with back & neck issues.
    So we went with a mosaic air-cushion (US made, starts from $200). 2 years now, no passenger complain, no puncture or air leak.
    (Neil you can try this weekend when we meet ).

https://www.aidacare.com.au/products...roho---mosaic/

For driver - nothing, as Dan mentioned above not bad. We both have baggy tyres and extended front leaves, which helps a lot.
    FoxRoo - Current project, 2003 Canter FG649C SWB Camper
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...er-Truck-Build
    Photos from Simpson Desert Trip: http://gigglepedia.com/p/portalg.asp?g=Simpson-Trip

Thanks Brij.
    Bottom line is I'm trying to find a cost effective way to improve unwanted movement when on less than perfect roads and tracks. I find the seats pretty good on the comfort scale but spend too much effort keeping the backside in place by overworking the gluteals and going for the white knuckle look at the steering wheel end.

The trimmer didn't have much positive to say about many vehicle seats especially those from commercial derivatives like our basic trucks. He deals with this kind of enquiry regularly and often from the offroad crowd. Cheers

Hi 4 x 4 truck, what seat are you planning on fitting to the passengers side? How will you access the lift up hatch to the engine??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast