Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 06-09 Forester or 03-06 Montero

Iím very seriously considering the Montero as my #1 choice...I think there are enough pros to outweigh the cons of cost of ownership. I was actually thinking about those costs some more and may be weighing them too heavily in my decision. Truth be told Iíll only be driving the vehicle a month or two out of the year.

So now the question is: what to look for on s 3rd Gen Montero?

If the Subaru will be trail-worthy enough for you, I would lean that way, personally. You do get more of an off-road machine with the Montero, but seems like you'll be doing none of that. The Forester will ride better, get better MPG, and maintenance should be cheaper as well. I did a 2k road trip with the wife and kids a year or so back (in an Outback), and it was a very comfortable trip. Little off-roading on Mexican back roads and the car did great. Then it was a smooth ride back home getting 33MPG.

I really like our subarus but. The Forester is a small rig and Subaru is kinda like Toyota the used prices are stupid. $5k today gets you a clapped out half dead Forester in need of about $2000 in self done maint to make it reliable and able to haul maxed out payload to remote areas with little parts and shop access.

Call me crazy but if this were my trip Iíd find an old grandpas pickup, f150 or Chevy with low miles and change fluids out, do brakes, tune up, find a used contractors cap and go!

phsycle: these were my initial thoughts when considering a forester. What kind of gear and what do you have done to the outback? Have you taken many trips?

Calicamper: I guess that hasnít been my experience when pricing foresters. I have been looking on auto trader the last few months to get an idea on pricing and a budget of about 5k has turned up many nice examples. Albeit they are base manual models but thatís what I would like to get anyways.

Concerning the F150, itís just not in the cards for me. I want something with a smoother ride and full cabin. My work truck is a 08 F250 5.4 with 330,000 miles on it and still going strong! But in this situation I would like an SUV.

Im on my second Legacy platform since 01. The 01 was a Legacy GT Limited 5spd built like a brick sh-t house except the cooling system. Current ride is a 2010 OB

There was a few yrs the old Legacy platform sat under the Forester you can see that in the yrs the tow rating went up. They shared the same running gear etc. suspension was a little different but struts were swapable lots of old Outback guys put Forrester struts on the OB etc.

My guess is those are the yrs your seeing possible options. The 2.5 EJ is a pretty tough engine but lots of people abuse the hell out of them and high probability you get a steaming pile of crap in that 5k price range. Subaru owners are the opposite of Lexus owners ha ha!!! Maintenance ha who does that its a Subaru they run on Unicorn farts right?

No seriously the one car I wont buy used are old Subarus unless I plan on a complete rebuild suspension, axles oem only, engine rebuild oem only stuff etc. They are easy to work on but fixing a trashed Subaru sucks.
    Just sayn

Calicamper: I guess that just hasnít been my impression of the Subaruís Iíve seen for sale, but I havenít seen them in person.

My only experience with Subaruís has been second hand through friends/family and they have pretty uniformaly praises them (used or new). Iím from northern Michigan and a lot of retired/older folks buy Subaruís so maybe in this area the second hand market stock is better taken care of. 🤷*♂️

In regards to working over the vehicle, that will be the case with whatever I get. I planning a 2 or 3 year build AND restoration of whatever I take. The reason being I have one opportunity to take a vehicle and leave it in Ecuador without having to pay the import tax.

All this being said Iím starting to lean heavily towards the 03-06 Montero. But keep the feedback coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    phsycle: these were my initial thoughts when considering a forester. What kind of gear and what do you have done to the outback? Have you taken many trips?
    I've been on multiple trips with it. Loaded to the hilt, with a roof rack on (two 5-gallon water, firewood, etc. on top). Rear sagged a bit. I'd probably look at a spacer lift for the back. We took it all over Moab and surrounding backcountry roads. Did very well. Not a rock crawler. But never left me stranded and always got me to the camp spot or trail head. 95% of our travels is on pavement, but the 5% could not be done in a regular sedan. Which is why the Subaru fits so well for us. I'm in a Tacoma now. But I'll be getting rid of it for another Subaru--probably a Forester.

I have been to Central and South America several times, i don't think i have ever seen a Subaru so parts could be hard to come by locally! Why not just save the money on shipping cost and buy something down there? I would personally love to have a Toyota Hiace for traveling around in South America and plus your more likely to blend in with the locals by having a common vehicle!
    Last edited by 94toy22re; 01-06-2018 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 94toy22re View Post
    I have been to Central and South America several times, i don't think i have ever seen a Subaru so parts could be hard to come by locally! Why not just save the money on shipping cost and buy something down there? I would personally love to have a Toyota Hiace for traveling around in South America and plus your more likely to blend in with the locals by have a common vehicle!
    ^ he has a good point

94toy22re: mostly because of the price difference. Anything comparable will be 15-20k here and most likely not well maintained. For instance I just took a look at an early 5th gen Patrol with a gas engine, it was not well taken care of and they wanted 20k.

At this point Iím pretty much sold on the Montero and they are pretty common in this part of the world, as you probably know. But I was walking around my neighborhood and someone here has an older Impreza...I see them now and again. I always wonder why Subaru never made a push in S.A....seems like a good market for their vehicles.

Calicamper: If you think Suby owners are rough on vehicles youíve never met and Ecuadorian 😂.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast