Thread: No start JK resolution

Default No start JK resolution

My weekend plans were wrecked this weekend. Iím disappointed that I didnít resolve it myself. Instead it was a $400 lesson that I will share so others donít have to go through this.
    I had driven from San Diego to El Centro. Gassed up, pulled around the corner for a burger. Turn the key and nothing happens. The starter had been replaced 363 days earlier, same symptoms. It turned out that the ďexciter ď wire that triggers the solenoid to engage the starter had shorted out on the bell housing. This blew the fuse (40A) . I failed to pack my electrical tools, and I didnít even check the fuses. Had I done that I might have resolved the issue and saved my weekend. Hope my lesson helps someone.
    Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2007 JKU with Homebuilt 5x8 Tear Drop.
    Previous Rigs:
    1969 CJ5 with 225 V6 /3sp and OD
    1984 Jeep Cherokee with 4cyl/5speed ;-(
    1967 Bronco with 5.0HO and 4R70W on 35s
    1978 Ford E250 with 1971 429 overlanding and I didn't even know it!
    1978 Georgieboy 22 ft RV Dodge 440 Blew this one up!
    1984 Class C RV with 460
    1996 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0HO

I had a no start with my '08 JK. After tightening all the grounds under the hood it started and was ok for 65,000 miles.

thanks

Just to add to your info for others:

Was on the trail my wife was driving took a hard hit on the driver side frame rail right at the control arm mount. It blew the M19 fuse, seems after getting towed out of the woods with a fellow Jeeper doing research he found that a hard impact will cause the M19 fuse to blow. When this happened you turn the key the engine would spin and would not stop spinning until you remove the key from the ignition.