anyone run a 2 2Door Jeep JK for overlanding?

RogueJK

hey guys, new to this forum, im just curious how many people are running a 2dr jk setup, and what it looks like. im looking to build my own rear fridge/cook/drawer solution and curious how 2 door people do it. i never plan on having a back seat in my jeep, but im also looking to use this ystem on a solid piece of plywood to make it come out if i was to HAVE to put the seat in. anyone have, or know of a similar setup?

thanks!

1514625797982.jpg

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
We've used our 4 door in the past, but we're in the process of building a 2 door as our overlander.
We intend to use a trailer to haul everything and keep the Jeep cab open for me, the wife and our pooch.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
image.jpgimage.jpg

2 doors work great. I use little trailer and I move around pretty well. I've had my trailer 4-5 months now still fooling with it and seeing where I can go. So far it has been a blast. Like a little tank!!

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Yes, I use a 2-door 2012 JK. For about a year I've also had a nice trailer to go with it, but actually haven't used the trailer as much as I thought I would. I've not yet built a plywood rack/drawer system for the back of the Jeep. I think I'd be constantly moving it in and out of the JK, as I do a lot of different activities with the Jeep, not just overlanding. That empty cargo area has been very useful.

The two-door is very maneuverable, which is quite handy. But it's also limited in space. Tradeoffs. Bought mine new, 5 years ago and it was the first "small" vehicle I'd had in over 20 years. I've driven it to Fairbanks and back home to Washington. Also several trips to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Nevada and California. It works fine for two people.

Fuel capacity can be an issue with the two-door Jeep, so I've got side-mount 5-gallon Jerry cans to extend the Jeep's range.

n0L9ad2l.jpg

kmRacsil.jpg

Regards, Guy

BADDANDY

Adventurer
3 ways to skin a cat;

Attachments

• DSCF4457.jpg
    DSCF4457.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 66
  • Snowman 004 small.jpg
    Snowman 004 small.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0883.jpg
    DSCF0883.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 66

RogueJK

We've used our 4 door in the past, but we're in the process of building a 2 door as our overlander.
We intend to use a trailer to haul everything and keep the Jeep cab open for me, the wife and our pooch.

View attachment 429786View attachment 429787

2 doors work great. I use little trailer and I move around pretty well. I've had my trailer 4-5 months now still fooling with it and seeing where I can go. So far it has been a blast. Like a little tank!!

Yes, I use a 2-door 2012 JK. For about a year I've also had a nice trailer to go with it, but actually haven't used the trailer as much as I thought I would. I've not yet built a plywood rack/drawer system for the back of the Jeep. I think I'd be constantly moving it in and out of the JK, as I do a lot of different activities with the Jeep, not just overlanding. That empty cargo area has been very useful.

The two-door is very maneuverable, which is quite handy. But it's also limited in space. Tradeoffs. Bought mine new, 5 years ago and it was the first "small" vehicle I'd had in over 20 years. I've driven it to Fairbanks and back home to Washington. Also several trips to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Nevada and California. It works fine for two people.

Fuel capacity can be an issue with the two-door Jeep, so I've got side-mount 5-gallon Jerry cans to extend the Jeep's range.

n0L9ad2l.jpg

kmRacsil.jpg

Regards, Guy

3 ways to skin a cat;

Sounds like a trailer is pretty common. I’d like to avoid that as much. But I guess it seems that’s a definite positive for the 2door trips..

lowmpgcj5

I've been doing it in a 2 door for the last 2 years. You just have to think more like a backpacker and it's easy. I used the Rubbermaid actionpackers for years but saw they have a lot of wasted space and this past summer went to the frontrunner boxes and it made so much extra room, I'll have to find the pictures of the before and after. My girlfriend and I have no trouble packing up for an extended trip with out a trailer or roof rack.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
Ya, just don't take so much crap, my wife and I have done week long trips in a TJ with no trailer and without stuff piled to the roof. It feels like a luxury compared to the amount of stuff I take on my dual sport bike.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Agree - I added the trailer - but frankly - we've done rather well with just the Jeep, no trailer.

And I have deliberately avoided adding a roof rack - though it is tempting.

I like that thought "think more like a backpacker" as that's exactly what I've done. Most of my camping gear, is backpacking gear and simply doesn't take up much space.

There are some good reasons for the little trailer - but have done most of my "overlanding" without it.

Regards, Guy

RogueJK

i agree with all that, ive done plenty of trips like that, but i was just curious to see if anyone had ideas as opposed to the whole trailer, but more "generic overland" where everything is pretty much out of the car.

BCobe

Adventurer
i agree with all that, ive done plenty of trips like that, but i was just curious to see if anyone had ideas as opposed to the whole trailer, but more "generic overland" where everything is pretty much out of the car.

I have had my 2 door for a couple of years but have only really taking out this last year. Its generally just me and it works, would work for a +1 to. Add a kid and I would say trailer or roof rack. The only thing I want to change about mine is a low buck platform set up. Store gear underneath and then a cooler/fridge up top to one side with room for my dogs (Med and Small sized).

One thing that I really like is utilizing a Raingler net over the passenger and driver seats. Allows you to put coats, hats, gloves, ect, up there. Can be in the way if your taller or wear your hat a certain way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles