Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My little adventure rig project 2001 honda CRV

Very cool. I've often wondered just what you could do if you put a little work into a crossover-type vehicle.
    There are so many out there on the used market that you could buy one cheap just to have a fun little project.
    How did you lift it? Are there actual kits out there? Looks great with the lift.
    It would be fun to see how far you could push it with the mods before it started adversely affecting MPG.
    Martin
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT in "Expedition White"

Having a Suburban means never being able to say "We don't have room for that."

Quote Originally Posted by Martinjmpr View Post
    Very cool. I've often wondered just what you could do if you put a little work into a crossover-type vehicle.
    There are so many out there on the used market that you could buy one cheap just to have a fun little project.
    How did you lift it? Are there actual kits out there? Looks great with the lift.
    It would be fun to see how far you could push it with the mods before it started adversely affecting MPG.
    It is pretty fun! I've still yet to take it on any long adventure but I do plan on it. The lift is just spacers. Front is 1.5" and rear 2.0" which makes for a level lift. There is an old man emu spring lift you can get but it would lift it as high. I might still get a spring lift eventually but for now the spacer works just fine. I'm definitely wanting to get out there more and there's tons to explore just around where I live which is nice. This is an ongoing project so stay tuned for more!

Nice job on the headlight, I have a set im hoping to modify also, I have a set of mazda 6 headlights and was thinking to use the dual projectors but im not sure they are worth the effort. Valve lash adjustment is really important on the b20 just so you know, they burn exhaust valve really quick if they aren't, that's how I got the second "rally car" one hehe

Quote Originally Posted by h4rdflip View Post
    Nice job on the headlight, I have a set im hoping to modify also, I have a set of mazda 6 headlights and was thinking to use the dual projectors but im not sure they are worth the effort. Valve lash adjustment is really important on the b20 just so you know, they burn exhaust valve really quick if they aren't, that's how I got the second "rally car" one hehe
    Oh yeah I know about the valve issues on these. See it often enough at work when they come in. Had one not that long ago come in with a burnt valve and did a valve job on it. I have a vtec cylinder head laying around that I'm contemplating on putting on it too to get some more power out of it but we'll see.
    Last edited by hondadude; 01-10-2018 at 07:55 PM.

What VTEC head? Would you have a way to tune it? Keep in mind the b20’s don’t like rpms and that’s what makes VTEC fun. With the stock head you have low end torque (if you consider Honda’s torquey, lol), with the VTEC head your power is going to be at the top end. Not really the best place for your power off-road. No personal experience with b20’s just points I’ve seen people touch on when researching for a build when I was considering a crv. Either way look forward to your updates. I’m a long time honda fan and love seeing what people do with them, especially here where people actually take them off pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
    What VTEC head? Would you have a way to tune it? Keep in mind the b20’s don’t like rpms and that’s what makes VTEC fun. With the stock head you have low end torque (if you consider Honda’s torquey, lol), with the VTEC head your power is going to be at the top end. Not really the best place for your power off-road. No personal experience with b20’s just points I’ve seen people touch on when researching for a build when I was considering a crv. Either way look forward to your updates. I’m a long time honda fan and love seeing what people do with them, especially here where people actually take them off pavement.
    It is true that vtec is better at high end power but the vtec head would have better flow overall as well. Again im still not sure if i will do the head swap but its a possibility. Wouldnt have to tune much but would be best to tune just to get the best performance as i could. I’m a big fan of Honda too! Doesnt help that I’m a tech at honda as well haha! They sure arent leaders on this kind of stuff but its fun to seenwhat they can do.

The long runners from the crazy looking intake is supposedly where the b20 gets enough air to utilize the bigger displacement and produce the low end grunt. Personally I’d put the head on if I had it sitting around cause it would make the pavement time that much more fun and you’re really not gonna rock crawl a crv.

I wouldn’t do it without at least a afc tune or maybe a crome tune though if you have the resources. Easy to gain a bit more hp and mpg’s and make sure afr’s are exactly where they need to be for max engine life. You can dl a basic crvtec tune for crome and get it damn close to where it needs to be. I just had a friend do our car and it made a pretty noticeable difference over a stock ecu. Next time I’m in the same town as him we’re gonna put a wideband on it as dial it the rest of the way in. Plus he added a cel shift light and launch control. Not really needed for the car but it’s fun little crap to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
    The long runners from the crazy looking intake is supposedly where the b20 gets enough air to utilize the bigger displacement and produce the low end grunt. Personally I’d put the head on if I had it sitting around cause it would make the pavement time that much more fun and you’re really not gonna rock crawl a crv.

I wouldn’t do it without at least a afc tune or maybe a crome tune though if you have the resources. Easy to gain a bit more hp and mpg’s and make sure afr’s are exactly where they need to be for max engine life. You can dl a basic crvtec tune for crome and get it damn close to where it needs to be. I just had a friend do our car and it made a pretty noticeable difference over a stock ecu. Next time I’m in the same town as him we’re gonna put a wideband on it as dial it the rest of the way in. Plus he added a cel shift light and launch control. Not really needed for the car but it’s fun little crap to play with.
    Haha! Definitely not a rock crawler though that would never be my plan. Even thought its a bit more I’m thinking i might do a hondata system for tuning. Love their datalogging system and bluetooth on the newer one which allows for live data and such. Yeah the intake with the chamber does make for better torque. I’d probably do a type R intake or similar to keep for better flow and bit longer runners. Lots of ideas but will see what happens. Want to make a sleeping platform as well as other adventure rig goodies too. Will be updating this as often as i can.

Ya hard to beat hondata, but you pay the premium. Imma cheapskate so hondata isn’t really an option for me, but a crv that had the high rpm wail of a gsr would be pretty damn cool. Wife and I built an awd gsr wagon back in 02. It wasn’t the fastest car I’ve built, but definitely one of the funnest. I’ll stay tuned for updates.

There is a CRV I see at work that has the OME springs/shocks and looks like it should have been made that way from the factory.
    1998 Montero with winter/locker package with Old Man Emu springs/torsion bars/shocks, ARB winch bumper, 33x10.50 km2's, aluminum roof rack with ARB awning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast