Adventure CRV ongoing build

hondadude

Instagram profile @dahlenadventures
Hi all. Pretty new here. Ive always loved this forum for all the cool builds and adventures to read about. About a year ago i picked up a 2001 Honda CRV through my work. The customer had not taken care of it very well and the engine threw a rod. Picked it up for $500 and after that just started with repairs. After the new engine i started saving for more fun things. First was the ASR skid plate for a little added protection underneath. Also added a lift, BF Goodrich all terrains, element rear diff, and bull bar. Planning on also doing a sleeping platform and storage. Well thats it for now so I'm just going to put some pictures up.

IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg

utherjorge

Observer
This looks pretty cool. If I may ask, what is the benefit of the Element rear differential vs. the stock CRV one?

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
This looks pretty cool. If I may ask, what is the benefit of the Element rear differential vs. the stock CRV one?

iirc better clutch plates, or maybe more of them... either way I think they engage better/quicker.

cool project and nice to see more hondas popping up. what motor did you put back in it, another b20?

hondadude

The element rear diff was improved over the crv one in that the dual pumps have more pressure and also better clutches in it. Basically quicker and another engagement. They also don’t heat up as quickly as the old crv diffs which is good.

hondadude

iirc better clutch plates, or maybe more of them... either way I think they engage better/quicker.

cool project and nice to see more hondas popping up. what motor did you put back in it, another b20?
Yeah just another B20 for now. Though there is a K24 engine sitting around at work that I’m toying with possibly sticking in it. Though it would be a lot more work.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
So is it better off road now with the element diff? Was always disappointed in the CRVs performance... But I never drove an element.

hondadude

So is it better off road now with the element diff? Was always disappointed in the CRVs performance... But I never drove an element.

It's pretty good. Been waiting for some real snow to see how much better it handles in that but not a lot of luck on that front as of yet. It's still no real 4X4 but I make it work so far.

hondadude

This weekend I improved the headlights by installing a projector kit. Went pretty well and I like the end result much better!
B03848AE-DB0D-4E5C-BB3D-69EC60407FFB.jpg5984A455-0EB3-45D4-80D1-0A920841D932.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very cool. I've often wondered just what you could do if you put a little work into a crossover-type vehicle.
There are so many out there on the used market that you could buy one cheap just to have a fun little project.
How did you lift it? Are there actual kits out there? Looks great with the lift.
It would be fun to see how far you could push it with the mods before it started adversely affecting MPG.

hondadude

Very cool. I've often wondered just what you could do if you put a little work into a crossover-type vehicle.
There are so many out there on the used market that you could buy one cheap just to have a fun little project.
How did you lift it? Are there actual kits out there? Looks great with the lift.
It would be fun to see how far you could push it with the mods before it started adversely affecting MPG.

It is pretty fun! I've still yet to take it on any long adventure but I do plan on it. The lift is just spacers. Front is 1.5" and rear 2.0" which makes for a level lift. There is an old man emu spring lift you can get but it would lift it as high. I might still get a spring lift eventually but for now the spacer works just fine. I'm definitely wanting to get out there more and there's tons to explore just around where I live which is nice. This is an ongoing project so stay tuned for more!

h4rdflip

Observer
Nice job on the headlight, I have a set im hoping to modify also, I have a set of mazda 6 headlights and was thinking to use the dual projectors but im not sure they are worth the effort. Valve lash adjustment is really important on the b20 just so you know, they burn exhaust valve really quick if they aren't, that's how I got the second "rally car" one hehe

hondadude

Nice job on the headlight, I have a set im hoping to modify also, I have a set of mazda 6 headlights and was thinking to use the dual projectors but im not sure they are worth the effort. Valve lash adjustment is really important on the b20 just so you know, they burn exhaust valve really quick if they aren't, that's how I got the second "rally car" one hehe

Oh yeah I know about the valve issues on these. See it often enough at work when they come in. Had one not that long ago come in with a burnt valve and did a valve job on it. I have a vtec cylinder head laying around that I'm contemplating on putting on it too to get some more power out of it but we'll see.

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
What VTEC head? Would you have a way to tune it? Keep in mind the b20's don't like rpms and that's what makes VTEC fun. With the stock head you have low end torque (if you consider Honda's torquey, lol), with the VTEC head your power is going to be at the top end. Not really the best place for your power off-road. No personal experience with b20's just points I've seen people touch on when researching for a build when I was considering a crv. Either way look forward to your updates. I'm a long time honda fan and love seeing what people do with them, especially here where people actually take them off pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles