Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Diesel Being Villainized In AUS and NZ Like In The Rest Of The World?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
    India is swearing to phase out diesel by 2030, the UK and Europe are swearing to phase out diesel even sooner. "Diesel is killing all of humanity!" is the cry of the um, elite. Granted, nitrogen oxide emissions ARE indeed a very bad smog and health problem in large European and Indian cities. Here in the USA and Canada (maybe Mexico, too?) diesel has never been as popular in passenger vehicles as it has been in Europe, India, Oz, and EnZed, although big pickup trucks and vans certainly are a popular market for diesel; thus the current trend for demonizing diesel automobiles is not so vociferous in North America.

From browsing online it seems to me there's still an appreciation for diesel in trucks and 4x4s Down Under and Down Under Down Under, including some companies that specialize in petrol-to-diesel conversions.

What's the current feeling for the future of diesel automobiles in Oz and EnZed?
    India needs to work on indoor plumbing, that would save more lives than eliminating diesel.
    Well, a hooker would get the joke.

The 6 year vs 2 year thing in CA is interesting. But I'm not sure it really sets a bad precedent, as most states that have emissions testing don't have a 6 year grace period anyway. Most are in the 2 - 4 year range on a new vehicle from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
    Demonized is the word I think you're looking for.
    Good catch, Grammar Man. I should have gone with demonized or vilified instead of portmanteau-ing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
    Demonized is the word I think you're looking for. And yes, it is pretty much worldwide. Particulate matter-this fuel puts out a lot of it and it's bad for our health. https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/ai...we-should-care
    Ive never really researched the validity of the argument but I've heard it argued on various forums that the new diesel restrictions actually make exactly what this article claims worse.

The argument basically goes something like:

New diesel emissions restrictions...namely the addition of DPF systems actually make diesel exhaust more harmful. The logic employed is that previously particulate mater was larger and thus had a greater chance of being trapped by "in cabin" air filters and even the human body and thus expelled. The addition of DPF systems, yes makes the air look cleaner coming out the tailpipe but the particulate matter is now so fine that, as mentioned in the article, filters cant trap it and once inhaled can no longer be trapped and expelled by the human body but are now absorbed directly into the blood stream.

Anyone know how valid those concerns are?

The world is far from being over populated.
    Perhaps said just after (((bitching))) about daily commute traffic jams ??

Quote Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
    Good catch, Grammar Man. I should have gone with demonized or vilified instead of portmanteau-ing them.
    Was thinking stigmatized. But I like a good inventified word as much as anyone.
    '08 Tacoma, some bicycles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123