Is Diesel Being Villainized In AUS and NZ Like In The Rest Of The World?

I'd agree. Im too young to remember 60s smog by a decade or so. However it obviously was needed and worked by the time I was a kid.
My concern is that; why does it always have to keep getting stricter? Why must certain local governments make the burden on their peoples tougher and tougher while other areas, countries, etc. simply dont care at all? Take CA for example. Legislature keeps making things tougher and more costly on it's own people as if we need to over compensate for the other areas that just DGAF? How is that fair?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
One thing worth noting. In the US and Europe, at least, air quality has improved even as the population, and with it, the number of vehicles, has increased. Similarly, in my mother's home state, West Virginia, rivers are actually safe for swimming for the first time in a hundred years.

I'm old enough to remember the terrible fuel mileage and drivability of the early '70's, so it is clear that it is possible to lower emissions and actually make cars safer, faster, and more economical at the same time.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'd agree. Im too young to remember 60s smog by a decade or so. However it obviously was needed and worked by the time I was a kid.
My concern is that; why does it always have to keep getting stricter? Why must certain local governments make the burden on their peoples tougher and tougher while other areas, countries, etc. simply dont care at all? Take CA for example. Legislature keeps making things tougher and more costly on it's own people as if we need to over compensate for the other areas that just DGAF? How is that fair?

If Ohio was the number 1 auto market in the US it would be Ohio pushing for better cleaner tech. CA just happens to be the Number 1 auto market. Im sure people complained about price increases for cars when CA asked auto makers to put safer glass in their windshields in the 60’s.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The cities with thick smog problems should just ban all internal combustion engines with in the city. Frickin walk. Leave the rest of the world alone.

I don't need California emissions controls in mid-Ohio. It's California's stupid problem, let them fix it themselves.

California knows what best for you. I would say just ask calicamper, but you he'll tell you before you ask him.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
when CA asked auto makers to put safer glass in their windshields in the 60's.

California doesn't "ask" auto makers to do anything, they simply demand it and expect that they will get their way. California does this with most everything else as well all while thinking that if it's what they want then it must be right and that the rest of the US wants it as well. That attitude is one of many reasons i dislike that state.

As for diesel being vilified, I agree and it is wrongfully vilified.

tacollie

Glamper
I don't know about OZ but NZ had a use tax on diesel. It applies to commercial and passenger vehicles. My brother lives there and sold his diesel van to get a petrol Hilux. The I4 is efficient enough he doesn't spend more on fuel because gas is cheaper. It's important to remember NZ is small and the speed limits are much lower than here. CA already taxes diesel more than gas. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more diesel taxes.

We just bought a 15' VW TDI sportwagon for next to nothing because it has been on the lot since November. We had been watching the price drop each week for the last month. The dealership had 15 of them on the lot. It's a fun car and we have 65k miles of warranty left to see how it holds up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles