Wireless charging for phones

js632

000-3.jpg

This seems to be another more sturdy design...but it's pretty pricey.

http://www.gpsbikemount.com/ramtogarminadapter.html

ramtogarmin1.jpg

The ram 1" is 25mm in diameter if anyone was wondering. The adaptor needed is 17mm to 25mm

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
OK so I didn't know there are many DC powered wireless chargers on the market, but they are much more complicated like I said the have to change the DC to AC.

js632

I get what you're saying, and yes you are right, you do have to convert the dc 12v source into ac to create the necessary magnetic induction needed for wireless charging. Qi chargers use high frequency ac current between 110-205 kHz, which is for the low power spec up to 5 watts. This is easily obtainable by any 12v car charger. I appreciate your view from a scientific standpoint, but for our purposes it is a pretty standard tech which is becoming more and more available in different applications.

Last edited:

robgendreau

Explorer
Inverter technology is all over the place. Making them is a really common project for those learning about electric circuits, and there are tons of tutorials online if you're interested. And there are two huge markets for them, in solar (DC) and electric vehicles. I have friends who prefer using inverters for pure sine wave power over their grid AC because of quality issues. There are even those who think we should, in this solid state age, go back to DC distribution, not AC. I've heard the Chinese have DC out from one of their recent dams. And old cars had DC generators before they switched to AC alternators. I suppose from some theoretical perspective there is some logic in using AC to AC, but one must consider practicalities as well. There are reasons cars didn't come with AC circuitry for the lights, cigarette lighter, etc. Obviously the battery output is DC. Having the whole interior and lights system DC means it's lower voltage, and you don't have John Q Public using an AC outlet on the dash to plug in a hair dryer on the commute to work, vs a 5v iPhone charger in a cig lighter plug.

So don't buy a Tesla if DC to AC irks you, cuz the inverter used to move the car is really its brain, kinda like AC on steroids.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
You guys have to consider my initial training in electronics was using vacuum tubes. Car radios of the time used mechanical vibrators to make AC out of DC. The first computers I worked with were made from discrete solid state components and took up the space of a truck. I haven't been active in the electronics industry for over 30 years so this "new" technology is pretty awesome to me! Oh and UHF was about the limit of frequencies used, now we are using much higher frequencies that the miniaturization of components makes possible.

robgendreau

Explorer
Heh...if you kept some of that old gear it might be worth something; some of it's coming back. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...ExeetmX7cjqSMA_ApXUbayUPnsmJd3lwaAjiVEALw_wcB for example; it even has Bluetooth! That stereo hifi unit we had, with turntable, that looked like something in ******** Van Dyke's Scarsdale house would be worth a bunch I'd bet. Sigh. But I don't miss pulling tubes and going down to the store to test 'em only to find the one we needed was out of stock. Hooray for the transistor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles