Wireless charging for phones

robgendreau

Explorer
Anyone found a wireless qi charging solution for use in the vehicle? ideally something that would work with a RAM mount?

I was hoping I could find something that would fit under my iPhone in my X-shaped RAM mount, but so far I haven't see anything. Several kinda cheesy plastic mounts with clamps with suction cups that I'd like to avoid.

And yeah, I could use the Lightning cord, but I almost destroyed my previous phone by accidentally hitting that thing when the phone was in the cradle (luckily the cable was toast and not the jack on the phone).

Not sure what forum to post in, but figured lotsa folks here might use phones for nav.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
wireless charging for 12vdc would involve much more complicated circuitry than AC so I don't think there will be such an animal for a while.

robgendreau

Explorer
wireless charging for 12vdc would involve much more complicated circuitry than AC so I don't think there will be such an animal for a while.

Excuse my ignorance, but why? examining my current one in the house I see it proves 5v, 1.8A, and I already have cig lighter to USB adapters that provide more power than that. And there are lots of wireless car chargers on the market already, just plug into your cigarette lighter plug, just as one does with the regular charging cords. I just can't use those because they have magnetic connections for the phone or suction cups. Are we talking about the same thing?

Airmapper

Inactive Member

Someone is overthinking this......

I'm probably going to go for this next time it goes on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Wirel...5&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+charging+car+mount

I know you mentioned you didn't like that kind, but I use the non-charging model currently and it's been a very good mount for my Galaxy S7. And I'm RAM mounts biggest fan on most things so for me to like the mount....I mean no it's not the toughest thing on the planet, but it has one purpose and it does it. I've had it stuck to my window, I think over a year now and it's not fallen off yet, and all last week we had like single digit temps.

Sure will be nice to not have to unplug and plug in every time I go somewhere, and my phone will be topped off when I get there. I'm not thinking it will be $50 nice just yet, one day I seen it on sale for like $30, kicked myself for not jumping on it.

robgendreau

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a mock-up of a thin one like the first cited, but it drops out when I open the jaws of the clamp and it's more fiddly than I'd like to get stuff lined up. It could work if the phone was in for long periods though. But yeah, I might just have to forget the RAM. Although I also thought it might work if I just get the shortest suction cup mount and just glue it to a round RAM base.

Here are some reviews; note their best pick is $44 at Amazon; $40 at Walmart. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-qi-wireless-car-phone-charger-mounts/

js632

Here's my setup in my jeep. Mophie makes a magnetic desktop stand with qi. On the back it has the 17mm Garmin g ball fitting. I got an adapter to the 1" ram and mounted it to my jk vector dock. Works great, very sturdy, and extremely happy with it. You do have to have the mophie case that goes along with it, but it also doubles your battery life which I really like.

r90_x_125502.jpg

r90_x_125445.jpg

robgendreau

Explorer
What model, etc is that Mophie case and mount? Unfortunately, I didn't see they had a case for my phone, but maybe it's coming. Nice setup!

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
because household power is AC and can be transferred wirelessley using induction. It's not the phone that makes wirless charging more complicated it's the charger. For a 12vDC wireless charger there would have to be circuitry to make AC like an inverter does, hence more complicated. someone will probably do this in the future but it will be more expensive than just a DC to DC voltage regulator.

peekay

Adventurer
I've tried several wireless car mounts and the Ottie that someone listed is by far, the best one. Not even close. It is more rugged than anything else and the suction cup is amazing - - way better than even my Ram mount suction. I currently have it sucking on my Tacoma dash board. Jas literally never fallen once.

That being said, I got it on Amazon for around $50,not like the $110+ USD link posted above.

Jeffer949

Observer
because household power is AC and can be transferred wirelessley using induction. It's not the phone that makes wirless charging more complicated it's the charger. For a 12vDC wireless charger there would have to be circuitry to make AC like an inverter does, hence more complicated. someone will probably do this in the future but it will be more expensive than just a DC to DC voltage regulator.

Dude. The Samsung wireless fast charger on my desk states on the back. Input 5.0v-2.0A, 9.0v-1.67V. So how is your statement valid? All the wireless chargers I have seen use a micro usb connection. Which, you guessed it is DC voltage.

robgendreau

Explorer

Are we even on the same electromagnetic spectrum here, let alone wavelength? you saw the picture above of a wireless charger plugged into 12 volt power in a Jeep? and the links to the products for charging phones in cars wirelessly? or are you just pulling our leg and I fell for it? You can even build your own, running from 5V: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2162

js632

Dude. The Samsung wireless fast charger on my desk states on the back. Input 5.0v-2.0A, 9.0v-1.67V. So how is your statement valid? All the wireless chargers I have seen use a micro usb connection. Which, you guessed it is DC voltage.

This guy is either wayyyy overthinking this and is oblivious to what were talking about...or trolling us. Most American car manufacturers are including wireless charging built into the vehicles these days. Chevy and jeep both have this as an option.

maxresdefault.jpg

js632

Here's the unit js632 seems to be talking about, though I can't tell if all the juice pack cases would work with it or just the "charge force" ones... :

http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/charge-force-desk-mount

And this seems to be the adapter for G-Ball to Ram 1" ball:

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-SBA-RGU

View attachment 431136

RAP-SBA-RGU.jpg

That is indeed the correct charger but thats actually the wrong ram adapter. I purchased that one from ram and ram's website says its the correct size but it's not. The smaller ball fits but the bigger end is actually smaller than the 1" ram.

As far as I can tell Ram actually doesn't make a direct adapter for the 17mm g ball to 1" ram

Here is a link to the correct adapter

https://www.gpscity.com/arkon-1-inch-ball-to-17mm-g-ball-adapter

arksp25mm17.jpg

I also believe you are right about the mophie charge force cases. They have magnets built in that hold and position the phone correctly when laid on the charging pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles