Single Speed suggestions

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Well, the 33x18 gearing wasn't as bad as I thought. I did struggle on a couple of sections, though. Overall, totally manageable. However, I was on one of the easier trails (Pipeline in Millcreek Canyon, for those that care). I might go to 20 instead of 22.

One definite upgrade has got to be a front suspension. I cannot hack this rigid fork thing. Call me a wimp, wuss, whatever, but even with the big 29" wheels, the rock gardens, roots, etc. make me look like a bobblehead. My wrist are still a bit sore. I know this bike (Motobecane Outcast) is not suspension corrected, so I will have to just tough it out for this season and next season, start my build.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Twenty-niner said:
Unlock yer elbows! :sombrero:

One fully rigid dude,

Greg

Do you think a carbon fork will make any difference? Or even another steel fork like an Odis? I do like the responsiveness of the rigid.

Twenty-niner

Cackalak Han said:
Do you think a carbon fork will make any difference? Or even another steel fork like an Odis? I do like the responsiveness of the rigid.

This is just my opinion and I had plenty of arguments about it in 10 years of working in the bike industry but... no, carbon forks, handlebars and seatposts make no discernible difference in the ride characteristics of a bicycle. At least not discernible to any mere mortal.

IMO, you should decide whether you fall within the small portion of the off-road riding population for whom a rigid fork is a good choice or you fall within the larger group, for whom a suspension fork is a very nice thing to have. And the nicer suspension forks on the market today are plenty rigid torsionally- I wouldn't worry about losing responsiveness going from a rigid to a suspension fork.

If you feel like you're out of control with the rigid fork, OR if you feel like your body is taking a beating (and you're positive that the beating isn't due to you being out of shape or having an ill-fitted riding position), go ahead and have your LBS outfit you with a nice suspension fork.

I would if I felt like my riding experience would be improved by going back to suspension; I don't ride rigid to be a tough guy. I just feel like I go fast enough on the descents and technical stuff already... going UP is where I need an advantage, and the lighter wt. of a rigid fork helps me there. Trade-off.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the insight. I guess that means I fall in the majority of bikers that need at least a front shock. I just felt that on a couple rocky parts, I wasn't able to maintain great control of the bike. I think I will probabaly opt for a Reba (for my next bike) unless it already happens to come with a shock.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Well, rode the Motobeane for a bit. Sold it about a month ago and recently picked up a Monocog. I like the fit better on this Monocog. The Outcast wasn't too bad, but I think I liked the Monocog's TT length better. One other reason I wanted the Monocog is, because it was suspension corrected. Which is the reason for this post.

There is a Manitou Minute 29 shock for sale at JensonUSA for ~$270. Anyone tried this shock? Or should I spring for this year's Fox shocks or next year's Reba's?

29er

Observer
Cackalak Han said:
There is a Manitou Minute 29 shock for sale at JensonUSA for ~$270. Anyone tried this shock? Or should I spring for this year's Fox shocks or next year's Reba's?

As tuned into your equipment as you seem to be, I think you're a poor candidate for a cheaper shock and a great candidate for a nice one. I'd save your money for a Fox, a White Bros. or a Reba, in that order of perference.

Really glad you're digging your Monocog. One of my good buddies is in love with his. He's now absolutely sold on 29" wheels and singlespeed tranny, after a couple years of asking me skeptical questions about the setup.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
29er said:
As tuned into your equipment as you seem to be, I think you're a poor candidate for a cheaper shock and a great candidate for a nice one. I'd save your money for a Fox, a White Bros. or a Reba, in that order of perference.

Really glad you're digging your Monocog. One of my good buddies is in love with his. He's now absolutely sold on 29" wheels and singlespeed tranny, after a couple years of asking me skeptical questions about the setup.

Thanks for the input. I figured that the Fox and Reba were going to be on top of the list (not too familiar with the White Bros). Best price I found was at Outside Outfitters. Not sure what year that Reba is.

The Fox and WB look nice, too. They seem to be in the $600+ range, which I really don't want to spend that much on (I've already committed to finally getting some powder skis this year). I test rode a Fox on a Gary Fisher and they were really nice. I also demoed a Gunnar w/ a Reba and I really liked it, so maybe that one in the above link will work out okay.

I was hoping for a little longer riding season, as I was really getting into this single speed thing, but snow started today. Oh, well. I really do like this Monocog, but I am hoping to get a Spot into the stable in the near future. Those bikes are just beautiful.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Cackalak Han said:
I really do like this Monocog, but I am hoping to get a Spot into the stable in the near future. Those bikes are just beautiful.
I hope that happens for you soon! We have a pretty small little single speed community here in Prescott but it's growing rapidly. Not uncommon to go on a ride with 5 to 8 riders in a small group on 29er Spots. I'd guess there's at least a couple dozen in town. They are great riding bikes.

1speed

Explorer
I highly recommend the WB Magic 29er 80mm fork. I built my Q-Ball 29er with a WB rigid carbon fork first. I loved the way it cornered and the light weight but my bad wrist didn't like the punishment. The Magic 29er has a fantastic stable platform mechanism and is not that heavy all things considered. I like the Magic so much I put one on each of my Q-Balls, one SS and one geared. By the way love the frame too.

jatibb

Adventurer
i have a haro mary ss. 2 yes old. like it alot. full rigid, 28lb4oz w. pedals and a 2.55 front wtb tire. 34-17 gearing. over 5'8"? make sure it has 180 mm cranks.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
jatibb said:
i have a haro mary ss. 2 yes old. like it alot. full rigid, 28lb4oz w. pedals and a 2.55 front wtb tire. 34-17 gearing. over 5'8"? make sure it has 180 mm cranks.
I just use 175's and a 36t Biopace chainring. Where I position myself on the bike makes the ring act bigger or smaller depending on what I need. Done that for years with one bad knee already. Hasn't made a difference to it. So much for the "Biopace injures your knees fallacy."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke