Frigid Cold Start in Dallas

FDM2012

Adventurer
I did a 20 degree Cold Start without having the engine heater plugged in last night, just to see how it would do.

I only cycled the glow plugs the one time, and I do have Stanadyne in it, so I'm sure that helped a bit.

Is this about the same as some of you Cold Weather Guys?

djbonsu

Adventurer
Yep! right on with the frigid mornings we have been having here in chicago. -8 deg F this morning but i plugged the van in last night as I have 10W-40 in the motor....i know...i know. Even with temps in the single digits (5 deg f) , the van fired up after a 3 cycles glow plugs.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
While not as cold as your part of the country, 46deg in Florida Is chilly.
Quick video of my start up.
https://youtu.be/GEKN8sy_t4Q
Once the volts bounce back to 12.2 I turn the key, using Rotella 15/40 dino...

Last edited:

dmoo

322vEFc.jpg

I usually hang out in the full size and jeep sections, but I saw the frigid thread and had to check it. I envy your 20 degrees this week

the Duramax did not make it this morning....had to take the gasser

gotta have that red bottle diesel 911, a spare fuel filter or two, good batteries and you are good to go... most of the time

FDM2012

Adventurer
Block Heater on it?

322vEFc.jpg

I usually hang out in the full size and jeep sections, but I saw the frigid thread and had to check it. I envy your 20 degrees this week

the Duramax did not make it this morning....had to take the gasser

gotta have that red bottle diesel 911, a spare fuel filter or two, good batteries and you are good to go... most of the time

dmoo

Block Heater on it?

oh yeah, they basically come stock on the trucks if the delivery destination is Midwest-ish. But this extreme cold is tough on everything. I take the gas ride if its not forecasted to come above zero for the daytime high temp just so I don't gel up sitting in the parking lot at work.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
My 2001 450 been starting in this cold mass mornings, well up to sunday. old girl just wouldn't fire. had to plug her in for 4 hours. then Monday morning, got her fired up and for the first time in my life had my fuel gel up. That was even with it over treated with power service. Been nasty cold here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles