Dutch oven cooking in cold weather.

dcg141

Adventurer
After looking around for a dutch oven table I settled on one I actually have never seen. I like the design and bought one and when I put it together it looked like something that would help with cold weather cooking. So I gave it a shakedown in low 20 degree weather and roasted a whole chicken
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0766.jpg
Getting ready to cook.

IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg
Cooking with the weather cover in place. That's a 12 inch and it will take up to a 14
IMG_0788.jpg
Results...tad over 1 hour..breast at 170 degrees

IMG_0787.jpg
It packs in this case and has grill inserts. I believe it would bake with the cover and the inserts in place. I'm really happy with my decision.
http://www.rileycampstoves.com/dutchovencooker.html

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
As you can see the top of the bird was a tad toasty. I dry brined it before cooking so it did not dry out and was delicious. But I for sure could have used fewer coals on top or checked it at 45 minutes. It creates alot of internal heat so the possibilities of indirect cooking are possible also. Putting all the coals on one side and letting the heat transfer over for a slow cook. I'm sure it would bake also using those grill inserts. The whole thing packs into the size of a large pannier and weight about 25 lbs.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Looks like a nice table.

For those that are cheap (like me) a small galvanized trash can (also known as an ash can) works great in cold weather. It keeps the heat in and is an excellent wind break.

mmp3823

Observer
That is an interesting table. Never seen one like it. I have the lodge table and I wonder if I could make a top for it to attach to the windscreen.

dcg141

Adventurer
Its apparent that the guy that designed it really put some though into it. It came with a hand written receipt. It think its just one person that hand builds them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles