Canter model decoding for Australian models

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Did the 5 stud come with the 4.9L engine?

4.9 turbo 6 stud 2008 to 2012

3.9 turbo 5 stud 2002 to 2008
4.2 non turbo 5 stud 92 to 2002
3.3 non turbo 5 stud ??? 1986 to 1992 .

These yeard are approximate because there are a few over laps and refering to FG models.

dZak

Thanks to all for the info so far.
If anyone has copies of the spec sheets for vehicle dimensions as per the previous post for 93, 06 & 12 models so i can compare the differences between dual cab and single cabs it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

bassbogan

I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread here but thought I'd try none the less. I'm looking at getting a '93 canter off a mate and its a special model I believe at it was an ex australian army vehicle (its 30 yrs old with only 160k on it - hurry up and wait alright!). The model code is FG439W with an option code of 'e74 d99' there is also an SOA code whatever that is of 'A1X2 WL HH9913' any idea where I can try and find out what any of that means. I'm aware the 439 is wide body, 3 ton, 4D34 engine but apparently the army got these in a lighter chassis so the GVM is 5000kg from the factory not 6/6500kg. Apparently its so they could be fully loaded and slung beneath a Chinook which is kind of interesting.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As far as I know, the earlier models were never rated to 6 tonne.
As for the chassis being lighter on the army models... I would hate to think that this is true, as the standard chassis is weak enough as it is, without taking any more meat off it.

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread here but thought I'd try none the less. I'm looking at getting a '93 canter off a mate and its a special model I believe at it was an ex australian army vehicle (its 30 yrs old with only 160k on it - hurry up and wait alright!). The model code is FG439W with an option code of 'e74 d99' there is also an SOA code whatever that is of 'A1X2 WL HH9913' any idea where I can try and find out what any of that means. I'm aware the 439 is wide body, 3 ton, 4D34 engine but apparently the army got these in a lighter chassis so the GVM is 5000kg from the factory not 6/6500kg. Apparently its so they could be fully loaded and slung beneath a Chinook which is kind of interesting.
I'll also say that the FG439W always had GVM of 5000kg and no there was no lighter chassis. They only went to higher GVM as the years went by. With the chassis number I can possibly decode some info. Option code and SOA mean nothing in my paper work. But yes. they do mean something. seat belts/ no seatbelts - electric windows or not. Can also be axle options - LSD or not, gearbox model. You get the picture.

bassbogan

I'll also say that the FG439W always had GVM of 5000kg and no there was no lighter chassis. They only went to higher GVM as the years went by. With the chassis number I can possibly decode some info. Option code and SOA mean nothing in my paper work. But yes. they do mean something. seat belts/ no seatbelts - electric windows or not. Can also be axle options - LSD or not, gearbox model. You get the picture.
ok thanks it might be a misunderstanding as the owner might have gotten mixed up over why the GVM was different to the current models, thanks for clarifying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles