Looking at building a solor Generator and would like some feedback

ikk

Adventurer
I currently am looking at building possibly two solar genetators as I have two 134 ah batteries and 3 100 watt solar panels. My thought processs with two is that having both together would be a burdin to move around and I have no need to run two 134 ah batteries while I am camping.

My first generator (main box) would consist of the following:

1 134ah 12 volt battery
1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter (have)
2 100 watt solar paneles each produces 5.62 amps in optimal conditions (have)
1 15 amp mppt controler (need to purchase)
1 ac battery charger (have)

the second generator:

1 134ah battery
1 400 modified sine wave inveter (have)
1 100 watt solar panel produces 5.62 amps in optimal conditions(have)
1 15 amp mppt controler (need to purchase)

both boxes would have 12volt aux, usb connectors and meters to determin battery status.
the main box would be able to connect to the secondary box to make on large system in-case of emergency power outtage for like a fridge.
also when stored the two would be connected and maintained by an ac charger.
the main box will be wheeled and the secondary would stack on top for easy transport.

The second generator would be used for camping as I would use it to power lights and charge phones and kids tablets.

Any constructive feedback would be apreciated.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Skip the inverter for the camp box. You could even go smaller lighter too. I built one 3 yrs ago for my tent trailer. All it does is power about 20ft of Led strip lighting, a ATV flood light and charges phones, ipads etc. The LED strip lighting if all turned on at the same time burns about 1amp. The big flood burns 1amp. Charging can pull around -3-5 pending how much stuff we have plugged in to the USB 12v charging station.

Mine is tiny the whole kit not counting solar panels is all contained in a single 50cal ammo box 18amp hour battery. I use two 10watt panels.

If I were to do it again I,d simply go with 40watts of solar. Zero need for a inverter. To charge the wifes laptop typically to work while in long drives to our destination I have a tiny cheap inverter that plugs into the cig lighter.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Sounds like a cool setup. What are you planning to use as an interconnect between the two boxes? Also, have you decided what type of storage container you are going to use for the boxes?

I'm currently building a single box which is centered around a 100ah BattleBorn lithium battery in a Frontrunner Wolfpack box. Also planning to tuck a 1500w inverter, Victron 75/15 MPPT solar controller and a Victron BMV 702 battery monitor in also. It will be a tight fit, but I've verified everything fits. The box will have the usual USB and 12V power ports. Higher amp devices like a fridge will be connected using 30A anderson connections. Shore charge will happen via an external AC charger using anderson connection. Field charge using a 100W solar suitcase.

I'm certainly not saving any money with my approach, but I have the intellectual and creative desire to build it for myself. Perceived benefits of being contained in a box is ability to easily move it between vehicles and have it available as backup power as part of my "72 hr" kit.

Looking forward to your updates!

ikk

Adventurer
Sounds like a cool setup. What are you planning to use as an interconnect between the two boxes? Also, have you decided what type of storage container you are going to use for the boxes?

I'm currently building a single box which is centered around a 100ah BattleBorn lithium battery in a Frontrunner Wolfpack box. Also planning to tuck a 1500w inverter, Victron 75/15 MPPT solar controller and a Victron BMV 702 battery monitor in also. It will be a tight fit, but I've verified everything fits. The box will have the usual USB and 12V power ports. Higher amp devices like a fridge will be connected using 30A anderson connections. Shore charge will happen via an external AC charger using anderson connection. Field charge using a 100W solar suitcase.

I'm certainly not saving any money with my approach, but I have the intellectual and creative desire to build it for myself. Perceived benefits of being contained in a box is ability to easily move it between vehicles and have it available as backup power as part of my "72 hr" kit.

Looking forward to your updates!

I am still looking into the storage solution but right now I am leaning towards a Dewalt DS450 for the main system and a DS300 or DS400 for the secondary box
black-dewalt-portable-tool-boxes-dwst08250-64_400_compressed.jpg
black-dewalt-portable-tool-boxes-dwst08203h-64_400_compressed.jpg

As for the connectors to connect both I may go with Anderson SB175 with 2 guage wire.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Your box idea is great. I actually use a similar setup only its the Accordian shelf type wheeled box also Dewalt. Tools and gear it easily weighs 50-60lbs and the cart aspect has held up nicely. It also fits perfectly in my Subaru about 1/2 inch clearance on the top of the hatch. LOL

ikk

Adventurer
Issue with those Neutrik power connectors is that the most accept 10 awg wire. I need a fatter cable to connect the two batteries.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a reasonable plan, especially the ability to use them separately or combine them. Having more options is Good.

There's a similar build somwhere in the 'Survival' subforum at ar15.com, might be in the gear section, more likely in the Ham radio subforum. THere's a huge topic there on similar setups to support HAM radio field ops.

Another guy that has some interesting things on such power setups is Steven Harris. His website is like some late 90s nightmare, but there's good content in it.
http://solar1234.com/

I'm a fan of the Anderson Power Products high-amp plugs, good solid connections at higher amps and their smaller connectors are a sort of defacto standard in the RC and Ham world too.

Like I said, having options is Good

powermodule183.jpg
powermodule195.jpg

ikk

Adventurer
Yeah, I tend to use anderson connectors a bunch. a company in Austrelia sells a nice flush mount system for the SB connectors but they dont ship to US for some reason
SB panel mount open.jpg
SB panel mount.jpg

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I tend to use anderson connectors a bunch. a company in Austrelia sells a nice flush mount system for the SB connectors but they dont ship to US for some reason
View attachment 430182
View attachment 430183

I have a few extra of these plugs from Australia for the interested.

As a minimalist at heart Im like the idea of a power supply but I also feel after running solar for several years its more than most need. Educate the people on what power needs are and make the system scalable would be nice IMO. Point being I meet a guy living out of a new hightop van in AZ with 300w solar/300AH of battery just running LED lights and because he was new to solar power he was not sure if he had enough capacity to last a couple days.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have a few extra of these plugs from Australia for the interested.

As a minimalist at heart Im like the idea of a power supply but I also feel after running solar for several years its more than most need. Educate the people on what power needs are and make the system scalable would be nice IMO. Point being I meet a guy living out of a new hightop van in AZ with 300w solar/300AH of battery just running LED lights and because he was new to solar power he was not sure if he had enough capacity to last a couple days.

This is a trend that applies to vehicles too. The F250 owner who needed a truck to pull his 900lb aluminum fishing boat for example. ;-)

ikk

Adventurer
Yeah, I have a smaller battery box with a 35ah battery that I hook up Led lights when camping. It works without an issue. As I live in CA where we have fires and earthquakes I wanted something more substancal. I do have a 2000 watt inverter generator that I can use, but if I can use the batteries at night for lighting, and running say my garage chest fridge and freezer which it can currently. as well as the ability to break it up, and be able to take in on longer trips when we dry camp to run my 12 volt shower inflate our inflatable Kyaks, and charge our kid electronics is always nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke