Keeping it simple for New Years.

toddz69

Explorer
Thanks Todd! I love the Kofa area and it was fun to do a bit of it and then do some random exploring on the land between there and Phx. We need to get a group of "old" trucks together for a run some time.

We used to do "Old Iron" runs with folks from Expo - often led by Mikey from Kingman. Lance and Nick would bring out their Subs, etc. Would love to do more of that but I'm chained to the couch until at least mid-summer this year with another project. The Bronco and I are definitely both jonesin' to get out and hit the dirt again.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Explorer
Haha! Wow Todd...... Thanks!
That was 30 years ago..... before I became an Old Man!

Just so you know - those articles by Rick Sieman about you and Big Oly II were very instrumental for me in my formative years and they gave me the majority of the info I knew of regarding race vehicle fab in my late high school/early college years. Still have most of the magazines in my 'collection' (my wife calls it something else). I also have the article on the blue/white Courier you built. Someday we'll get together and compare Broncos.

Now back to the subject at hand....

Todd Z.

Wallache

Observer
SOAZ said:
cjf5rrnutgvjgcda6jd9.jpg

fu4dek8tvqlpkyfvpb5v.jpg

eeg1l2tm3z0l1xcjq2ph.jpg

The fertile valley along the Gila river took on an otherworldly feel with all of the smoke and haze in the air. We stayed in the slow lane and did our best to not let the world let us feel rushed until we got home.

It was a trip of no particular amazement or importance. We didn’t find the holy grail of views or even a new remote epic spot, but we did find some peace and solitude. So, it was still logged into our minds as a “perfect” trip.
Cheers until next time,
Tim[/FONT][/SIZE]

Great report!

The notch in the mountain on the far side of the first picture is where the cable crane connected that carried cars across during floods, pre bridge. There is another matching foundation on the near side mountain below the lookout where you aired up.

The locals didn’t mind the dam failing. During floods the water would back up miles upstream and cause significant damage. The old Arlington School had high water marks on the chalk boards from the various floods through the years. The Arlington Cattle Co in the last picture was sitting in about 3 feet of water during one of those floods.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Great report!

The notch in the mountain on the far side of the first picture is where the cable crane connected that carried cars across during floods, pre bridge. There is another matching foundation on the near side mountain below the lookout where you aired up.

The locals didn't mind the dam failing. During floods the water would back up miles upstream and cause significant damage. The old Arlington School had high water marks on the chalk boards from the various floods through the years. The Arlington Cattle Co in the last picture was sitting in about 3 feet of water during one of those floods.

Thanks Wallache! That's great info. I checked out the carved out pad and was wondering why so much effort was put into making a notch out of solid rock. Have you ever seen an early picture of the Cable Crane? I'd love to see it.
Really interesting info. We noticed there were a ton of cattle pens not in use. It seems like such a busy/profitable industry right now for the folks down in the El Centro area. Do you know why Arlington Cattle isn't operating them any longer?

Wallache

Observer
Thanks Wallache! That's great info. I checked out the carved out pad and was wondering why so much effort was put into making a notch out of solid rock. Have you ever seen an early picture of the Cable Crane? I'd love to see it.
Really interesting info. We noticed there were a ton of cattle pens not in use. It seems like such a busy/profitable industry right now for the folks down in the El Centro area. Do you know why Arlington Cattle isn't operating them any longer?

There were historical pictures of the dam and bridge in the Desert Rose Bar in the late ‘80s that I remember as a kid. One of them showed the cable system but I haven’t been able to find much about it on the internet.

That feet lot was completely abandoned a few years ago, so even the partial use you see now is a huge improvement. The feed lots on opposite sides of the highway were separate operations. My father managed the one on the west side during one of those floods. I have pictures of him somewhere driving the cattle out of the pens with the water up to the haunches of his horse. Different times for sure.

SOAZ

There were historical pictures of the dam and bridge in the Desert Rose Bar in the late ‘80s that I remember as a kid. One of them showed the cable system but I haven’t been able to find much about it on the internet.

That feet lot was completely abandoned a few years ago, so even the partial use you see now is a huge improvement. The feed lots on opposite sides of the highway were separate operations. My father managed the one on the west side during one of those floods. I have pictures of him somewhere driving the cattle out of the pens with the water up to the haunches of his horse. Different times for sure.

Great info, thanks Wallache. I'll keep an eye out for any pics of it and post up if I find them. Tons of equipment sitting idle all over the place down there. Some old and some looks like it was just parked and left. *Just before posting I found some interesting pics.
dam-collage.jpg

That's the way to travel...looks good.
Thanks JEM!

Jeeper0505

Observer
Great post SOAZ. Some of the best adventures are the simplest.
I would be game for an 'Old Iron' run too if an '83 is allowed.

SOAZ

Great post SOAZ. Some of the best adventures are the simplest.
I would be game for an 'Old Iron' run too if an '83 is allowed.
Absolutely! I've been wanting to get an old truck run together. I'll be sure to post up about it. I know DGarman is game as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles