Thread: M1101 College Adventure Trailer Build

Default M1101 College Adventure Trailer Build

Hi everyone, I"m new here and relatively new to the overlanding world. I am a college student who love to camp, hunt, fish, hike, etc. I am an animal science major hoping to go to vet school. I am hoping to use this time in my life where I have relatively little responsibilities to explore and enjoy the outdoors on a bigger level than I have before. I have some decent fab skills, including knowing how to held and owning a MIG. My goal is to build a trailer that I can keep most of my gear in and be ready to go in less than an hour of prep. I recently bought an M1101 from another member on here. He had bought lots of parts for it but had yet to put it all together. I will be using some of his ideas and also adapting many to my needs. I already have a RTT and the trailer came with one so my old one will be for sale soon.

Here are some of my ideas for the trailer:
    1. Arrange water tank, heater etc on side to facilitate better gear arrangement.
    2. Install plenty of dry and lockable storage space for gear.
    My initial plan for this is to move the RTT all the way to the side and mount my Thule Roof Carrier box on the other side.
    3. Build bed slide out. This is something I came up with and please let me know if you think it would be a bad idea but build something like a truck bed slideout for the trailer. That way it would be easier to access totes, coolers, etc in trailer when setting up camp. It would also serve the dual purpose of a table once trailer was unloaded. I would obviosly put jacks on the back of the trailer in order to keep the tongue from coming up when the slide out is deployed.
    4. Paint, I would like to paint it a color other than tan. I've applied bedliner to my jeep tub so maybe something like that to at least the inside.

Stuff I have pertaining to build:
    '04 Suburban
    '99 Wrangler 4.0 straight 6
    M1101
    ARB Simpson III with annex
    Yakima Skyrise 3 (FOR SALE)
    Thule Roof Box
    16 gallon H20 tank with pump.
    Propane powered tankless H20 heater
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a good start! I doubt that tj will tow it though

Quote Originally Posted by Mccool View Post
    Looks like a good start! I doubt that tj will tow it though
    Yeah, I have no intentions of towing it with the TJ. The suburban has 300,000 miles so when it dies I plan on getting something more in between the Suburban and Jeep like a Landcruiser.

Paul, glad to see you got the trailer in good shape and already have multiple plans for improvements. I hated not being able to finish it, but seeing your plans tells me that it's in good hands!

I had originally placed the water tank to make room for the slide out kitchen, and never planned to have all that much room for storage. Your take on that is smart to make room for more storage. Installation of generator and batteries was also going to be key, but I'd planned to most of that up front (front of centerline, anyway) for tongue balance. I love the idea of a slide out bed for storage boxes - very smart. Jack stands are a good idea (and, of course, they are already included with the trailer - mounted over the tongue), but I'd still consider putting batteries/genset up front to take some of the weight off the jack stands for when you slide out the bed.

Really interested how a bed liner works out. Great idea, but not sure how well it stands up to the torture moving stuff around. Any special prep required?

Good luck! Very interested to watch your progress.

Cheers.

Dan

BTW, did you pick up the original wheels?

A little update. I got the water tank situated on top of the fender well. This allows more cargo room and in the case of a dead battery it can still be drained since it is elevated. I also bought a bed slide. My plan was to build one but then I came across one on Craigslist for dirt cheap. It works really nice. It allows me to load the trailer in a way that is evenly distributed but still have everything accessible during the trip and after. It also gives me a sort of food prep and table space for long term camping and base camp trips. I do have the jacks to keep the trailer from flipping up.

#1-2 The water tank in its new location
    #3,5,9,10 The trailer arrangement with the bed slide pushed in.
    #4 My wonderful shop. It's a little rough, but I'll take what I can get. The price is right.
    #6,7,8 The bedslide extended out.

Let me know any questions. I have not seen anyone use a bedslide on a trailer so feel free to ask questions. Also let me know if you have a concern that I may not have seen.

IMG_4322.jpgIMG_4323.jpgIMG_4340.jpgIMG_4342.jpgIMG_4343.jpgIMG_4344.jpgIMG_4345.jpgIMG_4346.jpgIMG_4346.jpgIMG_4347.jpg
    "The more I'm around people, the more I like my dog" Mark Twain

M1101 Build http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-Trailer-Build

That bed slide is slick! Does it lock in place when in either the open or closed position? Manufacturer?
    Last edited by dcarteaux; 01-11-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarteaux View Post
    That bed slide is slick! Does it lock in place when in either the open or closed position? Manufacturer?
    Sorry for such a late response. I've been plowing snow 24/7 it seems like for the last week. The bed slide locks in the closed, 1/2 open and fully open positions. It is a Bed Slide brand bed slide. I think it is the standard model made to fit a 6.5' bed.
    "The more I'm around people, the more I like my dog" Mark Twain

M1101 Build http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-Trailer-Build