1999-2004 Grand Cherokee WJ - 4.7L Engine Help Needed

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, got the heads off. Confirmed that there is a dropped valve. New heads on the way from www.cylinderheads.com. Cheaper than refurbishing them myself!
Parts will be here next week, will start reassembly next weekend. Fingers crossed that I get it back together correctly. Never gone quite this deep into an engine before.

Got some photos posted up on Instagram here:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Just realized I never updated this thread. We got the engine back together with the refurbished heads, and it ran awesome! However, sheets of oil were gushing out the back of the block. Crap! Tore it down again, reseated the head gasket, got new cylinder head bolts and tried again. It runs! However, now leaking tons of fluids from the hoses under the radiator, including transmission cooler lines, radiator cooler lines, etc..

So, replaced all the hoses, refilled the radiator for the third time, and it runs!

Has been problem free and on the road for the past few months now. It was a major feeling of accomplishment. It was even kinda fun to do, and definitely quality time with my son while we did it. I had to spend a few hundred dollars on tools, but you never really regret doing that :)

Now I've been keeping a casual eye on Craigslist looking for "mechanics specials" for other 4.7L Jeeps with misfires that might the same cause. I now know how to bring them back to life!

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Congrats - always a big satisfaction doing it yourself.....

My son is at out-of-state school with our 212k mile, 2004 with the 4.7L engine. Couple months ago he was having big problems so had new tranny plus did alot of work including:

- crankshaft position sensor
- Tranny line pressure swithch (befor new tranny)

Jeep runs great but oddly once every 2 - 3 weeks it won't start. When it happens you leave it alone and keep coming back until it does start, which it always starts sometimes right away sometimes it takes a few times.

Any idea's?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Our’s was very sensitive to the battery terminal connection. Lots of starting issues until we got new connectors and clamped them on tight. Might investigate that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94