Test Drive Tomorrow

v_man

Explorer
Don't go overboard with the aversion to rust. It's unrealistic to expect a 13 year old LC to have zero rust. Figure out how much your comfortable with and go from there. I would plug the VIN into the Lexus website and see what kind of maintenance records turn up.

mmbirtcher

Observer
Yeah, good points, thanks. My current 4Runner came from Chicagoland area and is pretty bad in the rear but structurally solid still. I'll definitely check out the VIN check with Lexus, thanks.

mmbirtcher

Observer
I thought the same. The sales guy dropped it $1k When I first contacted him. I'll negotiate more tomorrow, but I have to admit I'm pretty sold on it regardless. It is absolutely spotless, never off Road, one owner, and no accidents. I'm thinking the convenience of an in town dealer with a decent rep as opposed to having to fly somewhere and bring one back sight unseen may be worth a few extra dollars too. They are very rare to see around here for sale. (Hmmmm, guess I've talked myself into it...). Pics and super-slow build thread to follow! Ha!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If it makes you feel any better, I think that's not too bad for an ‘04 with 103,000 on it. I have a friend who recently paid $13,000 for an ‘05 with 200,000 on it. We are in the PNW though, and prices are typically higher here. I also possibly overpaid a bit for my ‘99 but like you, I see value in finding one locally and in good condition from a trustworthy seller. Mines been fantastic over the past 3 years.

Don't go overboard with the aversion to rust. It's unrealistic to expect a 13 year old LC to have zero rust. Figure out how much your comfortable with and go from there. I would plug the VIN into the Lexus website and see what kind of maintenance records turn up.

I have a 1993 with zero rust. Also have a friend with a 1996 with zero rust and a coworker with a 2004 with zero rust. I would look for a truck with zero rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne