New Alu-cab Khaya Camper for sale in US - details with pricing now available

Keyne

Adventurer
This new Alu-cab Khaya Camper is now available in the US through OK4WD. The announcement was posted in a different section here on Expo, but if people are following the new camper I noticed OK4WD has the details up on their site including base $14k and option pricing with a “build” to price your own. Also they have some good descriptions and a video of the camper. Nice site! I for one am happy to see some more pop-up options like this and the Earthcruiser GZL’s.

https://ok4wd.com/alu-cab-khaya-prime-camper

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Thanks for the post! If anyone has questions please feel free to ask myself and I will be happy to assist!
hldIRbM.png

MTSN

Explorer
Thanks for the post! If anyone has questions please feel free to ask myself and I will be happy to assist!
hldIRbM.png

I really like that camper! I already have a Habitat, so I'm ok for now but I was wondering if that snorkel precleaner is an ARB part. I have the ARB snorkel on my 2017 Tacoma and would like to add that precleaner - do you guys stock them?

rino

Haha no lie I have multiple calls a day about that. We sell them for $140 shipped.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I am posting this in hopes of having an actual discussion, I hope it doesn't turn into a flame war, but because of that ever present possibility I chose this thread over the larger "landed in the US" thread.

I priced it out and came in at around $27k for my "wants." Similar to a 4 Wheel Camper, and both are equally out of reach for me. But I'm sure there are people who'll be snapping these up. Lots of retired folks with large piggy banks around.

four wheel pop-up camper (fleet, mid size since I believe thats the same ball park as the khaya)starts at 17,995.00 that includes a sink/water system and some electrical.
adding the sink and electrical to a khaya brings the price to 18,315.00.

base weight 4wheel pop up 975 lbs That includes a sink, kitchen and electrical system.
base weight khaya per alu.cab "the standard cabin has a weight of 340kg, [749.572lbs] (doesn't include a sink/kitchen electrical etc) fully equipped with all extras, the weight with empty tanks and without equipment is approx. 490kg. [1080.27lbs]"

I am inclined to believe there is some value in the outside storage options, built in (if I understand it correctly) roof supports and a better fridge (style bias?) of the Khaya. Fourwheel pop up camper seems to offer more living space since the front and back of the camper lift. vs the khaya tilting forward. Fleet model has a dinette that can be used for an additional sleeping area. Khaya has a (smaller, I think? maybe someone can do a direct comparison?) lower sofa.

Why should someone pick a khaya over a 4wheel pop up, or what type of person is going to be better in a khaya than the more traditional camper?

rino

Any thoughts on bringing the ossewa to America? That would be excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ossewa is actually being discontinued as the rental markets have started moving the fleets to the Khaya platforms. The Ossewa is super cool, but requires a fully committed vehicle and outside the rental markets that was quite rare.

I am posting this in hopes of having an actual discussion, I hope it doesn't turn into a flame war, but because of that ever present possibility I chose this thread over the larger "landed in the US" thread.

four wheel pop-up camper (fleet, mid size since I believe thats the same ball park as the khaya)starts at 17,995.00 that includes a sink/water system and some electrical.
adding the sink and electrical to a khaya brings the price to 18,315.00.

base weight 4wheel pop up 975 lbs That includes a sink, kitchen and electrical system.
base weight khaya per alu.cab "the standard cabin has a weight of 340kg, [749.572lbs] (doesn't include a sink/kitchen electrical etc) fully equipped with all extras, the weight with empty tanks and without equipment is approx. 490kg. [1080.27lbs]"

I am inclined to believe there is some value in the outside storage options, built in (if I understand it correctly) roof supports and a better fridge (style bias?) of the Khaya. Fourwheel pop up camper seems to offer more living space since the front and back of the camper lift. vs the khaya tilting forward. Fleet model has a dinette that can be used for an additional sleeping area. Khaya has a (smaller, I think? maybe someone can do a direct comparison?) lower sofa.

Why should someone pick a khaya over a 4wheel pop up, or what type of person is going to be better in a khaya than the more traditional camper?

Those are all great questions and I appreciate your approach, I agree bashing another product is in poor taste and to prevent that I will just outline a few pros and cons of the Khaya.

Pros:
- Full aluminum construction, including the floor, interior + exterior walls, bed frame, kitchen unit, roof, etc. (maximum durability and minimal weight)
- Interior standing height from 6' 2" - 8' 8"
- Bed length of 8' 9" (all bedding can be left in place when up)
- Rear integrated ladder / step
- LED rear lighting keeps you legal around the globe (plugs into 7 way connector)
- Outside Kitchen (where we spend most time cooking)
- Outside Shower with integrated enclosure and duck board along with shower head storage and temp controls in shower cupboard.
- Outside Storage for recovery gear, tools, etc all without entering the camper
- Rear Tire Carrier allows for full size spare on even 5' bed trucks (must have)
- CTEK full electrical system allows for solar, 12v to 12v and 110v charging
- >10 second opening / closing
- Integrated Shadow Awn mounting w/ rear door gutter
- Diesel Hot Air Furnace, allows systems fuel to be topped off at fuel stations
- National Luna 60l Twin fridge, personally I prefer this style over RV style fridges
- National Luna dual color LED lighting inside and out (high quality and red lighting at night is a big plus for visibility)
- Roof can open with load not being removed.
- Exterior water tank access near kitchen (also gravity feed in case of pump failure)

Cons
- Less interior living space than typical slide in camper
- No glass windows
- No interior shower options
- Only 1/4 ton truck fitment
- Only sleeps 2 adults (4 sleeper in testing)
- Only available in silver or black with grey interior

Obviously feel free to chime in on some these if i'm missing some good pointers and thanks for the opportunity to share.

kb1ejh

Pro I think is the no glass windows. More secure, nothing to break. RTT's don't have glass windows. This is a RTT on an integrated storage unit which makes it great. Also no fiberglass or material left out in the elements. The aluminum skin is tough enough to withstand the usual elements that we travel in or store the unit when not deployed in camp. Kind of like a truck bed tool box just way better and more useful!
Con, I've beat up Rin and Jeremy about it, not in US full sized pickup, yet...

rino

Pro I think is the no glass windows. More secure, nothing to break. RTT's don't have glass windows. This is a RTT on an integrated storage unit which makes it great. Also no fiberglass or material left out in the elements. The aluminum skin is tough enough to withstand the usual elements that we travel in or store the unit when not deployed in camp. Kind of like a truck bed tool box just way better and more useful!
Con, I've beat up Rin and Jeremy about it, not in US full sized pickup, yet...

Appreciate the kind words :) We joke it is a RTT with a basement.

I've been asking and i'm promised as soon as a few little projects are completed we will have engineers on full size! Being the only country with different trucks is a PITA.

Keyne

Adventurer
Rino, what is the typical wet weight of this setup on a Tacoma? For instance, the weight of the OK4WD Tacoma with fuel and water?

rino

Rino, what is the typical wet weight of this setup on a Tacoma? For instance, the weight of the OK4WD Tacoma with fuel and water?

Our camper weighs in at 950lb wet and with gear, that was before the hot air furnace system so I would say 1000lb fully kitted.

Antangil

Rino - what’s the lead time on a Khaya? Is there room for a rack between the camper and the roof of the Tacoma?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Our camper weighs in at 950lb wet and with gear, that was before the hot air furnace system so I would say 1000lb fully kitted.

That's a decent weight for all of that all in. I like these a LOT, but have a full sized truck and sadly not enough $$ for one. Still, a guy can dream can't he?

Nice units.

rino

Rino - what’s the lead time on a Khaya? Is there room for a rack between the camper and the roof of the Tacoma?

Right now we are a bit deep, our first two containers are sold out. I would say about 10 - 12 weeks at the moment.

That's a decent weight for all of that all in. I like these a LOT, but have a full sized truck and sadly not enough $$ for one. Still, a guy can dream can't he?

Nice units.

Thanks man and for sure, you never know we may have some full sized options coming down the pipeline. ;)

kb1ejh

Still in waiting for the Khaya's to grow up for the full sized trucks. Nothing really needs to be changed other than having them fit in the full sized trucks. If they were to be full sized...would a long bed or regular bed be a better choice for the Khaya 2.0???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles