How much insulation?

Treenail

Adventurer
I've got a box van, Uhaul-like, that will be home soon

The box is aluminum

I'm thinking that I'll use two 2" layers of foam for the ceiling. A 2" and 1" layers for walls and 1" foil on both sides for floor. Plywood or FRP for skinning

Is that enough insulation? I don't plan on being in sub zero environs but will likely be in warm areas.

There is plenty of cubic space in the box so I won't cramp myself if I went thicker

Thanks

Tom

derjack

Adventurer
Size doesn´t matter!

Look for the coefficient first! Different materials do not isolate the same. This takes some time ....

Look for the correct stuff > that does not seek for water and moisture. You get even moisture in death valley (over night).

Unless you are 100% perfect - wich nobody is - look for the weak spots and take care of them. Is is useless to isolate 3 inches when have standard windows!

In Europe we do mostly use so called Armaflex. Most people use 19 mm ~ less than 1 inch. That is 8€ per square meter. Not inflamable, doesn´t suck moisture, doesn´t burn well and is very easy to install, as it is available self sticky like.
Look:
http://www.derjackistweg.de/sieben3-aufbau-2017-tag-9-15/

java

Expedition Leader
I did my box truck with 1.75" in the walls, and 3.75" in the ceiling. Should have done the floor.... I didn't (yet Ill do it from under, but on top would have been better) its cold. So my construction is 1/8" alum, insulation, 1/4" ply. I use about .75 gallons (or a little less) running a 3500w webasto for heat with a roof vent open. Its toasty.

Treenail

Adventurer
Hi

Derjack...you're right. Insulating boxes is way more complicated than buildings. I've been reading and gathering for a while.

My conclusion, given the r-value/cost/ease of installation leads me to using rigid foam.

Java

Your build is one I've followed. Nice to have your input since our vehicles are similar

Tom

derjack

Adventurer
Hi

Derjack...you're right. Insulating boxes is way more complicated than buildings. I've been reading and gathering for a while.

My conclusion, given the r-value/cost/ease of installation leads me to using rigid foam.

Java

Your build is one I've followed. Nice to have your input since our vehicles are similar

Tom

A Box is probably easier, because walls are straight. I did not want to really finish my walls, isolation is done months, because I do want to sleep crosswise in the back. I know I am more or less alone with that approach but that gives me 2 feet more length over the total width of my interior! But I need 1,80 meter [~6 foot] for that, which is "my length" as well. So need ever single inch in every slight bend in the sidewalls ...
I recently worked on 5 little parts of plywood, all together less than half a square meter :Wow1: some hours. Rain outside. After 2h I notice a slide moisture on my armaflex covered walls. Rear windows wet, side windows wet.

btw: My Plan > I will get rid of the back doors on my type 2 ambulance! I will only use the lower part as doors for my trunk. The upper part will be fixed and closed with a tire carrier. Over the "lower part" will be a fixed bed construction (trunk to be only accessed from below and rear of the van).
So no isolation issues in terms of windows in the back 2/3 of my truck. A blackout thick curtain behind the A-Pillar. my 2ct

PS: You are the one who followed :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior