Dualband radio for GMRS use?

LONRGR

There is a lot of confusion at least to me as to why this can't be done or is unacceptable. After lots of reading, could some one please try to clarify this for me?

Thanks,

L.R.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Is it possible to do? absolutely.
Is it legal to do? No, GMRS radios (and radios for virtually all radio services) have to meet certain criteria and be type accepted by the FCC. Some radio services including GMRS/FRS and CB have a stipulation that the radio may not be capable of operating on other radio services (frequencies) in order to be accepted.

Part 95.1761(c) : "No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service."

Last edited:

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I understand the legality of it. Putting that aside.
Is it actually harmful to anyone to use GMRS frequencies on a ham radio?

GMRS units can be up to 50 wats. So if I was using a 50 wat amateur radio on GMRS frequencies, it would be indistinguishable.

Is this correct?

comptiger5000

Adventurer
It's one of those cases where it's definitely possible to follow the spirit of the law but not the letter of the law. Realistically, operate within the rules and nobody would know unless they're looking at your gear. But if an FCC guy ever saw what you were using, it would be a bad day.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Agreed, as long as you have the channels, power, and bandwidth set correctly nobody would know.
Heck the Midland MXT-400 GMRS radio looks just like a Boafeng BF-9500 UHF mobile and a lot like the TYT TH9000D so even just glancing at it someone may not be able to tell the difference.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
<rant>
It would be difficult to distinguish GMRS from ham. So it's a Scout's Honor sort of thing. I would advise that if you hold an Amateur license that you really should know better and be a good steward, though. It's very difficult to argue that you didn't understand what you're doing to the F.C.C. We hams are given significant leeway by the F.C.C. compared to other services so please don't abuse it.

My point here is at least get your GMRS license and consider repurposing a commercial radio or getting an actual GMRS type approved radio instead of free banding your ham radios. Trust me, I get it, I really do. It's silly to have to carry a CB and GMRS and FRS and ham radio. It's the 21st century after all and convergence is the name of the game and all the hardware is essential the same now.
</rant>

Last edited:

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Dave,

I really like rules. They are the fabric of our society.

But I cannot find a single reason to follow this one. I think its silly that if I hold a amateur and gmrs license that I can not transmit with my amateur radio on gmrs frequencies.

DaveInDenver

The rule is technically ridiculous.

But hams don't have a rock solid footing and flaunting the F.C.C. rules doesn't help when question of spectrum come up. Just throwing out there that amateurs are all stewards and if the rules are going to be ignored please consider how you're reflecting poorly on all your fellow hams who try to stay in the good graces of our betters.

Part 97 is pretty lenient about what you can do and since there's no type acceptance per say for our ham radios I want people to realize they are abusing that privilege using them for Part 95. Rather use a Part 90 radio (e.g. the tons of old business radios out there) on Part 95 if you don't want to use a proper radio.

The end here is Part 97 loses the flexibility to experiment with our gear and just becomes another appliance operating service (at which point it no longer retains any uniqueness). I can only cite that anyone selling an amateur HF linear amp has to get F.C.C. special approval (called a grant of equipment authorization) that it's been tested and not possible to easily make it work on 11m because of misuse in the CB bands.

Amateur radios in general only have to be tested to prove Part 15 compliance, which anything capable of generating RF has to do. But manufacturers don't have to seek approval to show any other compliance to Part 97 because there are no technical provisions beyond the ham's own adherence that he stay within the ham bands with it.

All of this is just one ham's opinion, I understand that.

Last edited:

4Roamer

Another thing to consider, it's easy to switch the channels and all the "sub channels." Easy enough to have a decent bank on the ham radio to cover all the channels but, the problem will be all the "sub channels" aka PL codes. The ham radios that I have played with don't offer a quick way to change those.

Zeep

Adventurer
<rant>
It would be difficult to distinguish GMRS from ham. So it's a Scout's Honor sort of thing. I would advise that if you hold an Amateur license that you really should know better and be a good steward, though. It's very difficult to argue that you didn't understand what you're doing to the F.C.C. We hams are given significant leeway by the F.C.C. compared to other services so please don't abuse it.

My point here is at least get your GMRS license and consider repurposing a commercial radio or getting an actual GMRS type approved radio instead of free banding your ham radios. Trust me, I get it, I really do. It's silly to have to carry a CB and GMRS and FRS and ham radio. It's the 21st century after all and convergence is the name of the game and all the hardware is essential the same now.
</rant>

Seems to me, that the new GMRS radio's, would make CB's go the way of the DoDo birds. Longer range, simpler antenna, etc.
I had a CB, but I had to re-tune the antenna every time I switched between hard and soft tops. Unit quit working. So now I'm on the fence on what to replace with?
If I go GMRS, will I have anyone to talk to. Locally, no one uses Ham.

DaveInDenver

Seems to me, that the new GMRS radio's, would make CB's go the way of the DoDo birds. Longer range, simpler antenna, etc.
I had a CB, but I had to re-tune the antenna every time I switched between hard and soft tops. Unit quit working. So now I'm on the fence on what to replace with?
If I go GMRS, will I have anyone to talk to. Locally, no one uses Ham.
Locally you have hams, you're just saying the 4x4 users don't use ham. There's going to be a handful I bet, though. Since your CB died and you haven't missed it why get anything? What are you trying to accomplish? There's even fewer GMRS users than amateur radio, so if you're just in search of something that's not a good option. You're better off with a good pair of hiking boots or a cell phone booster. It seems to always fall back to CB for 4x4, nobody wants it but it's what most people still have because most other people still have it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste