LR4 transfer case

mlambert12

Hi all,

Current RRS owner, love the vehicle but the lack of manual ability to lock tcase is frustrating, I am looking to build a mild offload rig and have set eyes on the LR4. My question is,

Is their any way to lock the transfer case in an LR4? Or do you have to rely on the computer to decide? I have found several situations where having the t-case locked ahead of time has been useful. If you have one with a rear lock, can you lock that manually too or?

If not I plan on just digging up a lowish miles D2 and going from there.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Last edited:

Cobra_R

Adventurer
I don't believe any of the LR3, LR4, RR, or RRS T-cases or rear diffs can be locked manually; it's all computer controlled.

rcharrette

Adventurer
I just moved over from an LR3 (non-HD package) to an LR4 with the HD package. I'm still learning my way around it but can confirm for sure it is computer controlled.

Ray_G

Explorer
Chiming in with a tangent but since we seem to get a fair amount of new to the brand or new to the RRS/3/4 platform owners here it is worth noting that a big part of shifting to that platform is noting how different the wheeling style is-i.e. what you are alluding to about turning the dial to the appropriate picture, pressing the gas and then basically steering the sorcery that takes place from the computers compared to those of us that 'grew up' wheeling things where you can shift the CDL into low/locked, and potentially engage R or F air locker, while also controlling the throttle application.

It is just a very different wheeling experience, in my opinion, and takes a lot of getting used to-I think for many of us it isn't exactly comfortable either.
r-
Ray

NASDIESEL

I've used my LR4 extensively offroad. What I've noticed with the TC locking is it locks first/immediately upon sensing, same goes for the rear diff. I've never run into an issue with it not locking when needed. Usually the software sensing it needs to lock well before needed.

MrWesson

Adventurer
If i remember right my LR3 locks and stays locked in rock crawl mode if that helps you with anything.

Somebody has control issues.. My LR3 has never hung me out to dry with the electronics and if anything make off roading kind of boring because it just simply works really really well. I beat mine to death and go looking for trouble.

NYCRover

Observer
To Ray_G's point- i've owned my '16 HD LR4 for a year and a half now and getting to know each of the terrain response settings has been a huge help. Prior to my LR4, I owned a G-wagen where i could just triple lock and go and have my own Lo-range gearing/throttle inputs.

Attending a Land Rover offroad experience session really helped me in thinking about how to use different terrain settings to get the response you want in a certain situation (i.e., using sand mode when you're not in sand). This to me is more important than caring if you are "locked" or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94