Photography storage solution

JoPedition

Hey everybody,
I am looking for a bag or a similar stowage system, in which I can store my Canon EOS 750D, my laptop, my smartphone and my tripod in one. I imagine a mix of box and handbag, such as the automanager and the office bag on this site: https://www.sortimo.co.uk/products/mobile-office/. The reason for this is that in a few months I want to go on a safari - especially for taking pictures - and live in my van the entire time. In order to make sure that nothing flies around during the drive and that I have my photographic material within reach, this would be perfect. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a suitable bag on amazon or walmart. Maybe someone can help me with this? Does anyone have such a bag, or knows where to order one? Many Thanks! :)

JersT4R

Check on BHPhotoVideo website, I’m sure they carry something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can fill up a shipping container with photography bags looking for the "right" one. Now I understand why some women have so many purses. Go to a REAL photography store (not some big box store) and check them out in the physical world. Being able to see the actual size and bulk, how the compartments fit together, access to the gear will save you a lot of money not buying the wrong one. You may find that having the 1 bag for everything isn't the best solution, you probably won't need all of your gear with you 100% of the time. You don't mention lenses, you'll probably start collecting them too. They get heavy and bulky (if you buy good ones), you want them around, but trust me, you don't want to carry anymore than you need at the time.

Find something you think will work and use it all the time. Most photography bags are designed to be reorganized, you'll probably end up doing the a few times. When you find something, buy it from that store, the little bit more that you spend pays for their ability to offer advice and real service, not just being some middleman pimping a deal.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Hard to advise without an idea on your lenses carried and your tripod size.

I'm partial to ThinkTank bags and Pelican cases myself though.

No Ma

Wonderer
Crumpler camera backpack

Have been using a Crumpler C-List Celebrity photo backpack for 4-5 years now. Fits 1-2 full size DSLR bodies with or without lens attached, multiple additional lenses, flash, many accessories, and laptop. It has straps on the outside to carry a full size tripod. Also has a good waist strap if you need it for hiking. If you need a case with inside storage for the tripod for protection, this isn't it. It is heavy duty, well padded, and the interior is easy to reconfigure to your needs.

This bag gets pitched into the back of a jeep all year long with a bunch of other stuff and has endured a ton of abuse and heavy use. I like it a lot. As mentioned earlier, Think Tank is a really good brand too. And, yes, camera bags/cases are very personal choices.

Spoke too soon. Looks like it's no longer available.... that's a shame. Check out Think Tank

Last edited:

thebmrust

For me, I wouldnt store all that equipment together. The camera & laptop, maybe. But the tripod wouldn't go in the bag.

Do you want a "bag" so you can grab and go? Or just to keep it all close together so you don't have to hunt for it when you need it?

Think about a backpack for the gear and easy to grab and go. Tripod can attach to the outside. Or left behind. If you will only grab parts as needed, maybe a hard case or a drawer with dividers.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
I have a couple Think Tank bags and find them to be the best overall professional solutions for a variety of situations. Here's their website: https://www.thinktankphoto.com/
Tripods generally get strapped to the outside of your bag and good bags make it easy to do that with a little pouch to hold the bottom and strategically places straps to secure.
Get one with a bit of room to expand, if you think you're going to get more lenses or other gear down the road.
Another good series of camera bag is from Kata, who just merged with Manfrotto: http://www.kata-bags.com/photo-by-collection-pro-light.htm

Good luck, hope you find just what you need.

Honu

lost on the mainland
one thought on backpack is I prefer the kind where the zip open part is to my back
more secure but most of all when you set it down in the dirt you are setting the outside of the bag down not the part that goes against your back :)
also depending on size you can keep the waist strap on and slide it aorund and kinda prop a knee up and unzip and get into the bag that way if its really gnarly out

ditto tripod on its own

for camping I often use my small backpack and put it inside a pelican case along with whatever else but my tripod is seperate always

not a fan of sling style packs as they just tend to move around to much :) but that is personal and just a thought

many packpacks can also be part camera and part other gear including a laptop so going out for the day you can easily bring that extra jacket and or some other whatevers :)

JoPedition

Hey everyone!
Thank you for the many ideas and your help. There is definitely the right thing for me - then now my safari can begin ;)

sigo

I just switched from a Crumpler that served me well for about 9 years to a Lowepro protactic 450. The Lowepro is larger, but still streamlined. I carry most of my gear at once including a 5d MkIV body, 70-200mm lens (big lens), several smaller lenses, flash, misc other small items, and sometimes a laptop. It's probably considered heavy, but I find it very manageable. I recently broke-in this bag with a trip to South Korea. It carried well and was streamlined enough to not be a pain on an airplane. The bag is well built and typical of the quality I expect from Lowepro. It sits in the front seat of my truck without any issues and is easy to flip open while laying flat in the seat.
My other setup is a pelican 1510 with padded insert and moveable dividers. I also got a custom insert in the lid to hold a macbook. The 1510 doesn't travel much these days but it worked well for a trip to Iraq. The pelican is a great case for vehicle use or when you're relatively static. It can strap to a seat and it'll protect your gear like nothing else.

rayra

Expedition Leader
lots of special purpose backpacks suited to photography support and they are usually built to accommodate laptops. OTher than that, some form of 'messenger bag' design would work.

big44g

I will second the pelican case and think tank bags. When traveling in a vehicle everything goes in a pelican case. When we stop for hiking I use a regular osprey backpack with a think tank camera bag with harness on my chest. Makes for easy camera access or storage when scrambling along the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WSS

Rock Stacker
Pelicans have been the staple for us for many years. They can be both locked and tethered with one padlock. waterproof, multiple interiors available, lid organizers, etc.. Some have wheels like carryon luggage. VERY durable. I use vinyl coated cable with crimped loops on each end to wrap around car seat legs and then padlock to pelican, can still be opened while tethered if you use two padlocks, etc.

At present we utilize 11 pieces of pelican cases ranging from small single handgun airline checked case to double rifle, carryon camera/SLR case, drone case, even one dedicated as a picnic basket on my Jeep complete with custom fit SS grill and SS skewers. We even have some really old Pelican lights (Oh, I forgot my wifes phone case is also a pelican lol). Wow, two more I forgot...........Our 20 and 45qt Pelican ice chests, they are the bomb!!

There are two downsides to Pelicans, one is the weight, security often weighs more. The second is Pelicans usually mean "expensive gear inside". Cover them with diaper bags or some such cheap unwanted gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles