Fixed mount options

dubboy2707

Afternoon all

Looking to fix mount a dual band antenna on my new car. Any options on where would be best to mount. Not wanting to drill holes if possible.

Attachments

• Lady Canning NS.jpg
    Lady Canning NS.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 13

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
How about on a lip mount towards the top on the side of the hatch?
Something like the Comet RS-720 that is adjustable on 3 planes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/comet-rs-720-medium-duty-lip-mount-no-coax-so-239/111802128550?hash=item1a07ed18a6

Pair that with a dual band antenna that has a hinge, like the Comet CA-2x4SR, so you could lay it over and velco the mast to your roof rack when going into parking garages.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMET-CA-2X4SRB-Mobile-antenna-2m-70cm-UHF-40in-/111802127179

I also saw a really nice cable that is necked down where it would pass through a door opening without getting pinched.
Tried a quick search, but couldn't find it. Perhaps a local radio store near you might have it.
In any case, there may be a rubber grommet in the hatch jamb area, you could run it through.

Good luck with your install. :beer:

lt1aggie

I have a lip mount on the back of the hood. Might be a little difficult for you since the hood looks like it's at a pretty good angle. You may be able to run a "S" shaped bracket that mounts to the inside of the top of the fender (under the hood) and sticks out between the hood and fender.
antenna mounta.jpg

dubboy2707

How about on a lip mount towards the top on the side of the hatch?
Something like the Comet RS-720 that is adjustable on 3 planes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/comet-rs-720-medium-duty-lip-mount-no-coax-so-239/111802128550?hash=item1a07ed18a6

Pair that with a dual band antenna that has a hinge, like the Comet CA-2x4SR, so you could lay it over and velco the mast to your roof rack when going into parking garages.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMET-CA-2X4SRB-Mobile-antenna-2m-70cm-UHF-40in-/111802127179

I also saw a really nice cable that is necked down where it would pass through a door opening without getting pinched.
Tried a quick search, but couldn't find it. Perhaps a local radio store near you might have it.
In any case, there may be a rubber grommet in the hatch jamb area, you could run it through.

Good luck with your install. :beer:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately i can't use a lip mount on the hatch as the glass wraps around the edges of the glass and the top part of the hatch has no lip.

I do like the Comet antenna with the fold over part i will look at that for definite

dubboy2707

I have a lip mount on the back of the hood. Might be a little difficult for you since the hood looks like it's at a pretty good angle. You may be able to run a "S" shaped bracket that mounts to the inside of the top of the fender (under the hood) and sticks out between the hood and fender.
View attachment 430646

Thanks for your reply

It does unfortunately. I have been looking at maybe a wing mount like some of the truck on here have. Would have be a home made one and mount to the wing bolt. Looking this weekend there is a possibility i could mount it from the hood hinge and to exit between the hood and the screen ticked away there.

dubboy2707

For a little more info i am using a Baofeng GT-3 currently with the glass mount and looking for a sole vehicle radio so i don't have to keep removing the handset to use while out of the vehicle. My radio use is for Mountain Rescue use and for when traveling to and from incidents so the vehicle radio would be a better option.

Any cheap options that people know of?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If you have the cross bars for your rack, Comet does make a clamp on bracket (you could even make one yourself).
http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/antenna-accessories/mounts-and-masts/comet-rs-660u

Diamond makes a fold-able antenna as well as a few others. Tram is also well respected from what I've *read* (no first hand experience with them).
Not sure if you would need ground plane radials with the Comet CA-2x4SR, but I'm willing to bet Nevada Radio could tell you what you'd need, and probably have it available to ship out to you. There is a ground plane kit for dual band mobile antennas. It has 3 radials and fits between the mount and the antenna if it's needed.
I can't remember who makes it. Thought it was pretty cool, because it was made specifically to fit the different connectors, like NMO & PL259.
Should have bookmarked the page, because now I can't find it... :(

Hope you'll post what you come up with, and how it works out. :beer:

ETA: If you go with a dual band mobile, depending on the radio, you can do crossband repeat, which would allow your hand held to reach the car, and the mobile in the car could be set to higher power to reach out further. :)

Last edited:

dubboy2707

If you have the cross bars for your rack, Comet does make a clamp on bracket (you could even make one yourself).
http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/antenna-accessories/mounts-and-masts/comet-rs-660u

Diamond makes a fold-able antenna as well as a few others. Tram is also well respected from what I've *read* (no first hand experience with them).
Not sure if you would need ground plane radials with the Comet CA-2x4SR, but I'm willing to bet Nevada Radio could tell you what you'd need, and probably have it available to ship out to you. There is a ground plane kit for dual band mobile antennas. It has 3 radials and fits between the mount and the antenna if it's needed.
I can't remember who makes it. Thought it was pretty cool, because it was made specifically to fit the different connectors, like NMO & PL259.
Should have bookmarked the page, because now I can't find it... :(

Hope you'll post what you come up with, and how it works out. :beer:

ETA: If you go with a dual band mobile, depending on the radio, you can do crossband repeat, which would allow your hand held to reach the car, and the mobile in the car could be set to higher power to reach out further. :)

I have thought about mounting on the rails but would like to keep as much off the roof as possible as i will be mounting a roof box and basket.

Thank you for your link. Took a look further and found http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/antenna-accessories/mounts-and-masts/comet-rs-700 which i think could work well both on the hatch below the rear window and on the bottom side edge of the hatch. Would this not make the antenna directional ?

As soon as i have decided on a mount and antenna i will let you know. Thank you for your help with it all. I just need to get some funds together to get a new radio for the vehicle to use instead of the Hand held. More for the use of the unit and to tidy up the install.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That mount is pretty adaptable.
If the mast is at the same level as the pillars it will definitely affect the radiation pattern towards the front.
Could you mount it to the lip of one of the rear doors, near the top?
This would be similar to the idea of the hatch, only move the mast up above the roofline.

How about a magnet mount, with a shorter dual band, like a Tram antenna.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tram-1185-Amateur-Dual-Band-Antenna-Black/dp/B0045EQUBK I've read some pretty good reviews on this antenna here in the states. It is also pretty inexpensive.
Match that with a nice used radio, and you could be all in pretty cheap. :)
Would also make a great back-up antenna, as you upgrade gear, down the road.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I think Hidden antenna will build you a custom ant. I have one on my Super-duty and it looks like a stock antenna. It works really well.

dubboy2707

That mount is pretty adaptable.
If the mast is at the same level as the pillars it will definitely affect the radiation pattern towards the front.
Could you mount it to the lip of one of the rear doors, near the top?
This would be similar to the idea of the hatch, only move the mast up above the roofline.

How about a magnet mount, with a shorter dual band, like a Tram antenna.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tram-1185-Amateur-Dual-Band-Antenna-Black/dp/B0045EQUBK I've read some pretty good reviews on this antenna here in the states. It is also pretty inexpensive.
Match that with a nice used radio, and you could be all in pretty cheap. :)
Would also make a great back-up antenna, as you upgrade gear, down the road.

That's what i was thinking. I think i will order this mount and go from there. I have found the antenna you suggested in a store close buy so will go and see them to look at the item in my hand before i make a decision

I have had a bad experience with a mag mount coming off and through the rear window so that is out of the question. I was looking at my roof basket on the car last night and may go all out and fix to there for when traveling distances so A it is out of the way B it is the highest point.

Goinf to visit a good friend of mine this weekend that is possibly selling a used Kenwood with a separate head which would be nice so i can mount the head in the roof compartment out of the way and out of prying eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles