Obscuring brake / tail lights with modifications

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If your hitch receiver is open (not likely in these scenarios), it's easy to find LED brake lights that pop into the receiver.

CampStewart

Observer
The simplest solution would be magnetic trailer lights, simple, cheap, reliable but not so pretty. Of the common styles there are some that are rigid mounted to the magnet, and some that have a swivel giving more mounting options.

trailscape

Explorer
I've taken a different approach..

4fb55bec77a9ce8e4b96ad50001c2f77.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

pyrate

Rollin' along
You're the trailing vehicle, it's your fault whether the lights work or not. I know SoCal commuting woes, it's hard to leave the proper distance or everybody and their uncle cuts in front of you. But if you are going to ride closer or not give up the space when someone wedges in, it's on you to be more attentive.

Yeah, I understand the law of hitting some one from behind. I guess I’m wondering what law mandates the driver in front has not blocked their brake lights. Unfortunately, the driver who hits from behind is immediately at fault (even when people wedge in...)

robert

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I understand the law of hitting some one from behind. I guess I'm wondering what law mandates the driver in front has not blocked their brake lights. Unfortunately, the driver who hits from behind is immediately at fault (even when people wedge in...)

Not always, not if it's a "swoop and squat" or whatever they call it around your area. Just one more reason to have a dash cam (I still need to get one).

I added trailer lights to the motorcycle hitch hauler and to my cargo hitch hauler just to be on the safe side. I also had reflective tape on them as an added measure. My last boat trailer had bright LED lights and SOLAS tape on it as well. Far too many idiots out there, especially those with cell phones in their hands while driving.

Choff

Adventurer
Any pics of your lights?

Here are the lights , amazon led's, nothing special but they have been through 2 winters and lots of washing
work great

Attachments

• IMG_3825.jpg
    IMG_3825.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3824.jpg
    IMG_3824.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

sargeek

Adventurer
I thinks the simple solution for a lot of our modifications I should include repeater tail lights/break/turn lights. Earth Roamers and a lot of the European trucks have them. It not your fault if you get rear ended, but who wants to deal with getting rear ended while on a trip.

Goes with rear fog lights, dust lights and other identification.

Simple DOT reflective tape can go along ways to help make things more visible:

pyrate

Rollin' along
I thinks the simple solution for a lot of our modifications I should include repeater tail lights/break/turn lights. Earth Roamers and a lot of the European trucks have them. It not your fault if you get rear ended, but who wants to deal with getting rear ended while on a trip.

Goes with rear fog lights, dust lights and other identification.

Simple DOT reflective tape can go along ways to help make things more visible:

I would agree. With all that we dial out for a trip, a few safety measures are worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
All of these examples are reasons why I just added a dash cam to my truck. If I’m at fault in a collision, so be it, but if someone else does something unsafe/unlawful, I want to have evidence beyond my word.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LMarshall73

Adventurer
Here are the lights , amazon led's, nothing special but they have been through 2 winters and lots of washing
work great

I think that is the same light I have. When I revised my bed rack, I knew it would obscure the third brake light on the cab, so I added the LED. It is definitely an attention getter. I've noticed at night, whenever I am at a light and holding the brake, it will light up the interior of the car behind me...

IMG_7673 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles